The War in Ukraine

2,504 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, yourkeau said:

A very German way of thinking: Russia has signed a treaty, and therefore, it will not use chemical or nuclear weapons. 

It izzz againzzt zee lauw...

11 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Does that mean that Turkey can't block them from joining? 

I think this is just filling in the official application forms and handing them over. The existing 28 members will then vote after they've had a chance to read.

Obviously, dickweed in Turkey (mates with Putin) is getting his puppet strings pulled, but I would suggest that once the US administration starts applying pressure to Turkey, *cough* Incirlik *cough* Finland and Sweden will be voted in.

9 hours ago, Chelski said:

but I would suggest that once the US administration starts applying pressure to Turkey, *cough* Incirlik *cough* Finland and Sweden will be voted in.

I don't know. Hard to deal with a man who believes all Kurdish people everywhere in the world are terrorists.

16 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

There are too many cars already, no need to produce more.

Fietsen and Fahrraeder will also get expensive ;)

To be fair the EU were stringing Turkey along for years even though we all new that they'd never let Turkey in. They started this dangerous game.

16 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

There are too many cars already, no need to produce more.

I would agree if we had only electric/hybrid cars on the roads. But for now, we have pollution. BTW, buses and trains also need steel, and the railway lines, too. 

Smart people wrote an article on the obvious: We Should Say It. Russia Is Fascist.

We err in limiting our fears of fascism to a certain image of Hitler and the Holocaust. Fascism was Italian in origin, popular in Romania — where fascists were Orthodox Christians who dreamed of cleansing violence — and had adherents throughout Europe (and America). In all its varieties, it was about the triumph of will over reason.

Because of that, it’s impossible to define satisfactorily.

People disagree, often vehemently, over what constitutes fascism. But today’s Russia meets most of the criteria that scholars tend to apply. It has a cult around a single leader, Vladimir Putin. It has a cult of the dead, organized around World War II. It has a myth of a past golden age of imperial greatness, to be restored by a war of healing violence — the murderous war on Ukraine.

3 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Fietsen and Fahrraeder will also get expensive ;)

There are enough of those already too.

Fietsrad would be like a Chai Tea, or a Sambal Sauce or an ATM Machine?

4 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

... the EU were stringing Turkey along...

On 10/05/2022, 09:37:58, john g. said:

This is called diplomacy. They were not actively stringing them along. They were in a bind. They could not say directly NO WAY as Turkey would then be OFFENDED. Which would have its own conséquences.

I am not gifted when it comes to diplomatic manœuvring but even I got that one.

I haven't been following this thread so closely, but don't you think think that it's a scandal that a country can invade another country, kill innocent people, and other countries just stand by and say 'Oh dear, what a pity' and do nothing to stop it, like sending in armies? Sanctions don't work in the short term. Forgive me if I've said this before.

2 minutes ago, Acton said:

I haven't been following this thread so closely, but don't you think think that it's a scandal that a country can invade another country, kill innocent people, and other countries just stand by and say 'Oh dear, what a pity' and do nothing to stop it, like sending in armies? Sanctions don't work in the short term. Forgive me if I've said this before.

It's like gambling, you have to work out whether the bet is worth taking and the probability of it costing a lot more than expected. Putin definitely made the wrong bet.

You can't compare this to gambling. Thousands of people have lost their lives, on both sides.

19 minutes ago, Acton said:

The problem is if you do send in armies from various countries then it leads to yet more deaths.

So Putin took the gamble (despite what you say) that he would meet just economic resistance from countries other than Ukraine.It also seems to be that he believed it would be over in a matter of days and other countries wouldn´t even have the chance to defend Ukraine.

47 minutes ago, Acton said:

You can't compare this to gambling. Thousands of people have lost their lives, on both sides.

Dictators appear to have gambling traits, they gamble that they can hold onto power by starting wars to distract the population from their problems and to create a Bogey Man to blame.