The War in Ukraine

2,484 posts in this topic

To be fair, the Lada Niva was a good off-roader.    Probably still is because the market of real off-roaders is almost non-existing.

The United Kingdom's fish-and-chip shops are under severe strain as the prices of key ingredients — including cod and cooking oil — soar as a result of the Russian assault on Ukraine.

As many as a third of the country's roughly 10,000 fish-and-chip restaurants could close in the next nine months, said Andrew Crook, president of the National Federation of Fish Friers.

Up to 40% of the industry's cod and haddock come from Russian waters, and about half of its sunflower oil is imported from Ukraine, Crook said.

Customers expect their fish and chips to be cheap, Crook said. A year ago, the average price for a regular cod and chips would be about £7, Crook said. Now, he estimates it's around £8.50 — a 21% increase.

Thousands of Britain's 'fish and chip' shops could close within a year

I do miss a good "chippy"

Yeah, managed to get Fish and chips last week, while I was in the UK.

I got Fish /Chips and mushy pees + another portion of chips for  £ 10.20 , which seemed a lot, did not cost anything like that last October. 

26 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Yeah, managed to get Fish and chips last week, while I was in the UK.

I got Fish /Chips and mushy pees + another portion of chips for  £ 10.20 , which seemed a lot, did not cost anything like that last October. 

It should cost a pound, if that, given the flavor :P

43 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I got Fish /Chips and mushy pees 

If I had mushy pee I'd visit the urologist pretty damned quick...

:wacko:

7 hours ago, optimista said:

Red button.

Probably not, but e.g. chemical weapons could well be in the cards. IIRC correctly, Russia isn´t a signatory to a convention banning them (just as Ukraine isn´t). And even if she was, I´m not sure that this would stop Putin.

Does Russia admit to having chemical weapons?

KOBLENTZ: First off, chemical and biological weapons are banned under international law, and Russia has signed those treaties and claims it doesn't have chemical or biological weapons.
So, you know, for it to use either of those weapons would be to admit that it's been violating those treaties for many decades.

Could Russia use chemical weapons against Ukraine?

KOBLENTZ: I wouldn't expect Russia to use these weapons, either openly or directly on Ukrainian civilians or the military, just because:
a) It's a huge escalation of the conflict.
B) It would not be too hard to trace back the use to Russia, and all the diplomatic and political problems that come along with that.
c) It's not clear to me what the military value would be for this.
If the Russians are just trying to kill civilians, which is what chemical weapons are really good at, unfortunately the Russians have lots of conventional weapons that they can use very effectively for that, from the thermobaric weapons to cluster munitions to bombing apartment buildings.
d) And, finally, there's some question about if Russia had chemical and biological weapons ready to go. Could they even use them effectively, given how, you know, how poorly they performed in terms of logistics, and just supplying their forces with conventional firepower? Because you need special handling for these weapons and special training and logistics and units. And if the Russians can't keep their soldiers fed and keep the tires inflated on their trucks, are they really going to have confidence that they're going to conduct a very complex chemical or biological attack? That seems unlikely.

Considering Ukraine has serious chances of wining this war, I suggest that Russia should think in appeasing. 

You are talking about chemical weapons, people in Ukraine are talking about tactical nuclear weapons. The Russians still hold the largest nuclear power plant in Europe (6 GW power, now working at 20% capacity). It is not easy to blow up it, but they will definitely try to do this when forced to leave the station. 

Now, will Putin use nuclear weapons against Ukraine as an "end game"? The probability is not zero. 

16 hours ago, fraufruit said:

First off, chemical and biological weapons are banned under international law, and Russia has signed those treaties and claims it doesn't have chemical or biological weapons.

A very German way of thinking: Russia has signed a treaty, and therefore, it will not use chemical or nuclear weapons. 

If a boy has a gun... one day he will pull the trigger.

Sweden and Finland have formally submitted their applications to join 28 European states, the United States, and Canada in becoming members of NATO.

The applications were personally accepted by NATO secretary general Jens Stoltenberg at the headquarters of the military alliance in Haren, in the north-east of Brussels, shortly after 8:00am local time today (18 May).

Sweden’s ambassador to NATO, Axel Wernhoff, and his Finnish colleague Klaus Korhonen were the ones to hand over the applications after they had been signed by their respective foreign ministers, Ann Linde and Pekka Haavisto.

While Germans will drink fewer beers, Africans will die of hunger.

Ukraine is a major wheat producer and exporter to African countries. Despite the situation, there is enough wheat to feed everyone. The problem is logistics: the Russians are blocking all Ukrainian ports. The EU has offered help, but you need a railway to transport to the border, then a lot of trucks to the ports of Romania and Bulgaria. 

But: those EU countries do not have enough transportation capacity, so only a fraction of Ukrainian wheat reaches the ports. It will be also more expensive due to this. 

The top priority of Ukrainian wheat producers is to feed Ukrainians. 

Expect a world hunger crisis and another wave of refugees which Germany will accommodate because it does not want to help arm Ukraine.  The greedy will pay a double price in the end. 

You know what else will cost more? Steel. The Russians destroyed a major steel plant in Mariupol as well as other plants. The cost of steel will skyrocket, and so will the prices of cars, apartments etc. 

Latest Russian estimates for Ukranian eqpt destroyed:

He says in total, since the beginning of the "special military operation", the following have been destroyed:

• 172 planes
  • 125 helicopters
  • 927 unmanned aerial vehicles
  • 311 anti-aircraft missile systems
  • 3,139 tanks and other armoured combat vehicles
  • 389 multiple rocket launchers
  • 1,548 field artillery guns and mortars
  • 2,997 special military motor vehicles

Source: BBC

Looks a bit dubious as the Ukrainians had less than 100 aircraft, maybe 30 drones and not many helicopters. As for tanks, they may have taken a number from the Russians but over 3000 destroyed? If that was the case the Russians themselves wouldn't have any left. Me thinks someone's telling porkies.

27 minutes ago, French bean said:

Looks a bit dubious as the Ukrainians had less than 100 aircraft, maybe 30 drones and not many helicopters. As for tanks, they may have taken a number from the Russians but over 3000 destroyed? If that was the case the Russians themselves wouldn't have any left. Me thinks someone's telling porkies.

Maybe they are including losses from WW2.

Or they've employed bean counters from one of the big 4 accountancy firms to do the counting for them.