The War in Ukraine

3,067 posts in this topic

IMO there are differing views on this point.  For example, people of Armenian descent all over the world will often refer to Armenia as their motherland.  But they will refer to the place they live, such as the US or Canada or France, … as their homeland.  This often happens I believe when the diaspora is spread out and/or even larger than the inhabitants of the “motherland”.  In Yerevan atop a hill there is a beautiful statue of a female signifying Mother Armenia.

10 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Come on people I was trying to equate Putin with Hitler in respect to both having made wars of aggression! I was not disputing the fact that Russians and others refer to their countries as motherland as opposed to fatherland or indeed not at all! 🙄

1355331549061.jpg.8caf8cc00923ff0db02f73

On 10/05/2022, 09:37:58, john g. said:

In the " Romance languages " ( Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, Rumanian  etc ), they all have their countries as feminine. " Patria ".

" Viva la patria "

Forgive my pedantry but patria derives from pater, i.e. father. Translation very tricky.

3 minutes ago, optimista said:

Forgive my pedantry but patria derives from pater, i.e. father. Translation very tricky.

Everyone can be pedant.  So , nope.   Patria comes from the Latin "Patria" that comes from "Patrius" that comes from "Patres" that means Parents or Ancestors, so, not father.    It seems our ancestors were very gender inclusive.

4 hours ago, scook17 said:

I clicked on a couple of your links and then did a search and I can't find anywhere that one third of Europe's gas got turned off yesterday.

Not in any of my news feeds and haven't seen it on TV or heard it on radio.

Just now, fraufruit said:

Oh that. Old news. April 27.

Yes, just realised when I watched it...

18 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I clicked on a couple of your links and then did a search and I can't find anywhere that one third of Europe's gas got turned off yesterday.

Here you go, news of today 11. May 2022 on the website of German public broadcaster Deutschlandfunkhttps://www-deutschlandfunk-de.translate.goog/ukraine-stellt-gas-transit-in-luhansk-ein-bundesregierung-rechnet-nicht-mit-engpaessen-fuer-deutschl-100.html?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

"Ukraine wants to stop gas transit from Russia in the eastern region of Luhansk from today.

The flow is said to have been reduced earlier this morning. According to the information, almost a third of the natural gas flows towards Western Europe via the eastern Ukrainian route."

17 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

It was mentioned in the (German) radio today.  They said as well that Germany is in general not receiving that much from that connection but it is expected to be affected.  They said as well the situation won't be critical until October.

On 10/05/2022, 09:41:35, keith2011 said:

Are you sure he did not say the "fatherland"?

I understood your irony first time around and see no reason why you should be " attacked " on here. I took it as a flippant remark - nothing more, nothing less. Chin up👍

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/10/business/ukraine-gas-russia-sokhranivka.html

May 10th 2022

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61420185

Russia has said it will be forced to take "retaliatory steps" over its neighbour Finland's move to join Nato.

A foreign ministry statement said the move would seriously damage bilateral relations, as well as security and stability in northern Europe.

Earlier, Finland's president and PM called for the country to apply for Nato membership "without delay".

It comes amid a surge in public support for Nato membership following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Finland shares a 1,300-km (810-mile) border with Russia. Until now, it has stayed out of Nato to avoid antagonising its eastern neighbour.

Finland will formally announce its decision on Sunday after it has been considered by parliament and other senior political figures.

Sweden has said it will announce a similar decision on the same day.

Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has said he expects the process of giving Sweden and Finland membership to happen "quite quickly".

1 hour ago, Wulfrun said:

Russia has said it will be forced to take "retaliatory steps" over its neighbour Finland's move to join Nato.

What would that look like, I wonder.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

What would that look like, I wonder.

In another thread on the Beeb Putin is quoted as saying that if Finland joins NATO nuclear weapons might be used... When you take into account the behaviour of the Russian "soldiers" it seems that anything goes