The War in Ukraine

2,771 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I believe that Ukraine would have already lost the war without Starlink. Many prominent people agree.

https://www.dw.com/en/ukraine-is-using-elon-musks-starlink-for-drone-strikes/a-61270528

Ukraine is using Elon Musk's Starlink for drone strikes

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/05/04/starlink-ukraine-elon-musk-satellite-internet-broadband-drones/

Geopolitics is rarely so influenced by business: For war-torn Ukraine, Starlink has become an information lifeline, keeping battered hospitals connected and serving as a link to drones targeting artillery strikes against Russian forces. Ukraine’s aerial reconnaissance force has used Starlink to connect directly to drones that have knocked out numerous Russian tanks, mobile command centers, and other military vehicles. Kyiv has also given terminals to schools, fire departments, and municipal governments. According to the Ukrainian Ministry of Health, 590 hospitals and clinics had received Starlink terminals to help them remain connected during the fighting as of late March.

Some musk-haters joked about it in the beginning, but it seems the 10.000 free terminals are making significant difference and even russia recognizes it.

By the way, 10.000 terminals costed around $20M to SpaceX, plus logistic costs and ground stations.

53 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Let's get things straighten. SpaceX is an extremely valuable company that not only disrupted a complete business area, but is about to disrupt the telecommunications area. So i'ts far from a penile extension. It also re-established US independence of manned space access and cut around $1000M financing of russian space industry.

Basically they will bankrupt the russian space industry, which has deep ties to military.

It's, together with Tesla, the most sought company in the world, receiving million of applications per year. It is the most admired engineering company and an example of hope of a better future for new generations. So have some respect.

Ok, fair enough. 

BTW, the Russian space industry uses a lot of Ukraine-made parts, so it is shooting itself in the foot, even without any help of Elon Musk. 

Globally Ukraine sells rocket launchers and rockets that deliver satellites to space. Maybe some of the Starlink satellites were brought to space by Ukrainian rockets, that might explain the generosity of Elon Musk. 

8 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Globally Ukraine sells rocket launchers and rockets that deliver satellites to space. Maybe some of the Starlink satellites were brought to space by Ukrainian rockets, that might explain the generosity of Elon Musk. 

No, all by SpaceX rockets. But Elon has had a feud with Russia for the past 23 years. Read his biography on how the russians tried to scam him.

6279120320f56_ukraineblood.jpg.4e67b269c

Russian TV hacked with message stating that "Blood of thousands of Ukrainians, and hundreds of their children is on your hands, TV and authorities lie. No to war"

(Social media/e2w)

On 5/8/2022, 8:30:02, Keleth said:

Dunno but I call you a c**t

This post somehow confuses me. Very rarely would I bother reply to such obscenities, least of all from a person with anger issues.

However I do want to discuss the only person who though that this post deserves to be up voted

drum roll please, yes it was TT`s very own @Wulfrun.

After spending the last week trying to convince the forum to take him serious by posting words instead of posting his ridiculous mimes he rewinds all his efforts by up voting a man with anger issues calling names.

The poster who posted the name calling needs help with his anger issues, he does not need to be cheered on and encouraged.

20 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Vladimir Putin tells a huge military parade in Moscow's Red Square that Russian troops in eastern Ukraine are "defending the motherland"

He says the invasion of Ukraine - what he called a "special military operation" - was necessary and had been provoked by the West

Are you sure he did not say the "fatherland"?

2 minutes ago, bramble said:

I also heard the reporters (interpreters) on German TV say Mutterland.

I was being sarcastic, or trying to be, Germans (Hitler) always say fatherland!

4 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

So do several other countries.

In the " Romance languages " ( Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, Rumanian  etc ), they all have their countries as feminine. " Patria ".

" Viva la patria " is normal. It would sound strange in English... " long live the motherland."

( Though, thinking about it, the English-speaking diaspora in Australia, New Zealand of a certain generation might??)...

2 hours ago, john g. said:

In the " Romance languages " ( Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, Rumanian  etc ), they all have their countries as feminine. " Patria ".

" Viva la patria " is normal. It would sound strange in English... " long live the motherland."

( Though, thinking about it, the English-speaking diaspora in Australia, New Zealand of a certain generation might??)...

3 hours ago, bramble said:

So do several other countries.

2 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

It's always been Mother Russia, my friends. Have y'all seen no WWII or Cold War films?

Come on people I was trying to equate Putin with Hitler in respect to both having made wars of aggression! I was not disputing the fact that Russians and others refer to their countries as motherland as opposed to fatherland or indeed not at all! 🙄

15 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Come on people I was trying to equate Putin with Hitler in respect to both having made wars of aggression! I was not disputing the fact that Russians and others refer to their countries as motherland as opposed to fatherland or indeed not at all! 🙄

Understood. Although, this war is pretty upsetting and I'm not in the mood for sarcasm at the moment. Anyway, motherland, fatherland is pretty outdated in my opinion. I think homeland or Heimatland is being used more often nowadays. Putin using the term motherland was more or less provocatively used for the benefit of the Russian people. And in that regard, you are correct with your equation regarding Hilter and his use of the term fatherland used to whip up nationalistic fervour.

Russian authorities in Ukraine’s occupied city of Donetsk are tossing the bodies of their dead soldiers in a secret dump “by the thousands” and charging their loved ones money to find them.

That’s according to a new audio recording released by Ukraine’s Security Service on Tuesday, which is purportedly an intercepted telephone conversation between two Russians discussing how one of their missing friends was finally found.

In the two-and-a-half minute recording, an unidentified man tells his female relative that the fate of “Inna’s brother” is finally known after he went missing a month ago.

“It’s better that you don’t hear this,” the man says at first, reluctant to spill all the grim details.

After more urging, he finally explains that the unidentified dead man’s “sister went to Donetsk, and there, basically, roughly speaking, is a dump.”

the rest here

4 hours ago, keith2011 said:

In the Russian language it can be both: 

Otechestvo - Fatherland

Rodina (Place of Birth, similar to the Hebrew word Moledet - the Country of Birth), the word is feminine and is used in combination with "mother": Rodina Mat = Motherland

Regarding specifically WWII, the word for the German invasion of the USSR (1941-1945) is "Velikaya Otechestvennaya Voyna" which translates to "the Great Fatherland War". 

This is the term we were taught at school. 

40 minutes ago, bramble said:

I think homeland or Heimatland is being used more often nowadays.

That's for people who live where they have been born. Not relevant to most of this forum. 

My Heimat is Israel but my Moledet/Motherland is Ukraine. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/61379405

Ukraine War: Putin's Victory Day speech fact-checked

President Putin has repeatedly said Ukraine plans to acquire nuclear weapons as a justification for Russia's invasion, although there's no evidence this is the case.

When it was part of the former Soviet Union, Ukraine did have nuclear weapons, but gave these up in the 1990s in return for security guarantees from the US, UK and Russia.

Last year, the Ukrainian ambassador to Germany, Andriy Melnyk, suggested if Ukraine couldn't join Nato, it might have to reconsider its nuclear-free status.

"Either we are part of an alliance such as Nato... or we have the only option - to arm by ourselves, and maybe think about nuclear status again."

There's more... Visit the link above...

56 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

That's for people who live where they have been born. Not relevant to most of this forum. 

My Heimat is Israel but my Moledet/Motherland is Ukraine. 

You are such a Besserwisser, aren't you. Motherland, Fatherland, Heimat, Homeland has the same meaning. As explained here:

Heimatland = Bedeutung:

Land, aus dem jmd. (oder etw.) stammt, in dem jmd. einen großen Teil des Lebens, vor allem die Kindheit, verbrachte

https://www.dwds.de/wb/Heimatland

Homeland = meaning:

A homeland is a place where a cultural, national, or racial identity has formed. The definition can also mean simply one's country of birth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeland#:~:text=A%20homeland%20is%20a%20place,often%20has%20ethnic%20nationalist%20connotations.