The War in Ukraine

2,504 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Let´s call it a pity club.

Let us compromise and call it the sad Muppets club.

5 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Ok, I´ll stick to the idiot path when referring to him.

I have no idea who this RD is, but it seems you and him have some serious issues.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61257448

Dubai has emerged as a haven for wealthy Russians fleeing the impact of western sanctions over the war in Ukraine.

Russian billionaires and entrepreneurs have been arriving in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in unprecedented numbers, business leaders told the BBC.

Property purchases in Dubai by Russians surged by 67% in the first three months of 2022, a report said.

The UAE has not put sanctions on Russia or criticised its invasion of Ukraine.

It is also providing visas to non-sanctioned Russians while many Western countries have restricted them.

It is estimated that hundreds of thousands of people have left Russia over the last two months - although exact figures are not available.

There goes the 'hood, Dubai used to be a nice place to live...

12 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61257448

Dubai has emerged as a haven for wealthy Russians fleeing the impact of western sanctions over the war in Ukraine.

Russian billionaires and entrepreneurs have been arriving in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in unprecedented numbers, business leaders told the BBC.

Property purchases in Dubai by Russians surged by 67% in the first three months of 2022, a report said.

The UAE has not put sanctions on Russia or criticised its invasion of Ukraine.

It is also providing visas to non-sanctioned Russians while many Western countries have restricted them.

It is estimated that hundreds of thousands of people have left Russia over the last two months - although exact figures are not available.

There goes the 'hood, Dubai used to be a nice place to live...

Ooh, what a surprise.

Rich people back a dictator who goes to war, poor people go off to fight the war and live under a restrictive regime, rich people leave the county to continue their luxurious lifestyles.

2 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, however, said there was no truth to the rumours "at all".

How often have we heard that in the recent past.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Ooh, what a surprise.

Rich people back a dictator who goes to war, poor people go off to fight the war and live under a restrictive regime, rich people leave the county to continue their luxurious 

They might not all necessarily support the war ( could be bad for their particular line of business ) or Putin but definitely want to protect their financial interests in case of an economic meltdown in Russia. 

We were at our local beach walking the dogs a couple of hours ago and we bumped into a fellow dog walker. My partner Nicole asked him if he lived here sometimes and he pointed to a house in the hills where we have friends of different nationalities. Those houses are expensive. 

He said he was from Ukraine. It wasn't the right moment to talk further as we had to go home but next time - if he wishes - I would be curious as to his current story.

Crete is very popular with both Russians and Ukrainians.

I don't care that it's not there anymore - I still give RF a big red point.:angry:

This on Yahoo news

Russian warship Admiral Makarov ‘on fire after being hit by Ukrainian missile’

Liam James
Fri, 6 May 2022, 8:51 pm·2-min read

Russia’s Admiral Makarov warship has been hit by Ukrainian missiles and burst into flames, according to Ukrainian officials.

The frigate would be Russia’s latest high-profile naval loss in a troubled campaign, coming after reports that US intelligence helped Ukraine locate and sink the Russian warship Moskva weeks ago.

Although their main ships are being taken down, and they could eventually be all gone (4 left!), Ukraine won't be able to have any type of navy superiority in the black sea, as there are 8 submarines lurking around. Still, it heavily cripples surface and coastal bombing attacks, especially if Odessa is a future target.

On 5/5/2022, 7:04:36, Keleth said:

Let´s call it a pity club.

Still not sure where you´re going with this.

I can only come to the conclusion you think NATO, the UN and others should have gone to war with Syria and Russia or that ISIS are heroes.

So judging by your reason, all single men of military age should be treated like heroes at the various hbfs because there haven`t been given the weapons by NATO?

United Nations blames Ukraine for the approaching global food crisis. Someone blocked Odesa port with mines so the ships cannot pass. Who did it? United Nations don't know. 

Hey Germany, are you ready for the new refugee crisis 10 times the 2015 one? Keep funding Russia then. 

Activists disrupt Priti Patel to protest the British government's proposal to send Ukraine refugees to Rwanda

2 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Activists disrupt Priti Patel to protest the British government's proposal to send Ukraine refugees to Rwanda

Can you back up that statement?

I certainly do not support the proposal to send refugees who  illegally enter the UK via boats crossing over the channel from France to Rwanda but I do not believe Ukrainian refugees fit into that category. Let me know if I am wrong.

3 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Can you back up that statement?

I certainly do not support the proposal to send refugees who  illegally enter the UK via boats crossing over the channel from France to Rwanda but I do not believe Ukrainian refugees fit into that category. Let me know if I am wrong.

They´re not sending Ukrainian refugees there which is one of the reasons its been called a racist policy.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

They´re not sending Ukrainian refugees there which is one of the reasons its been called a racist policy.

Given that the UK have made it relatively straight forward for Ukrainian refugees to obtain a visa, albeit not very quickly apparently, it seems unlikely that many/any will be arriving in small boats from France illegally. I would suggest that is the difference! It may well be that the granting of refugee visas by the UK is racist but how they deal with illegal economic migrants is to my mind a very different subject.

58 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

how they deal with illegal economic migrants is to my mind a very different subject.

So anyone coming in a boat is an economic migrant then?

32 minutes ago, Keleth said:

So anyone coming in a boat is an economic migrant then?

Did I say that? I don't think so!