The War in Ukraine

2,504 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Unforgivable... you should never end a sentence with a preposition!

This is getting too much.

From a mime expert to a grammar expert.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Why was Putin able to do this though. They invaded Ukraine with the support of many of their citizens because of the "Nazi" dangers.

Why did the Russian people fall for this obvious lie?

Could it also be that everyone who refused to fight Putin you and Jeffo treated like heroes?

Not sure why you are on this thread now complaining about the Ukraine war.

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

Let´s face it Russia has a bigger Nazi problem than Ukraine but because they´re Russian they can´t be Nazis right.

Many Ukrainians would like to use this term because they find similarities between Hitler Germany and Putin Russia. But let's be honest: you can find similarities between Hitler Germany and any other authoritarian regime, that does not make all non-democratic countries Nazis.

Russia was a semi-democratic country until 1999, then it started drifting towards fascism slowly. The Second Chechen War gave Putin (an unknown KGB clerk in Dresden) popularity because the "honor" (=lost colonies of the USSR) was at least partly restored. Putin got powerful precisely because he did what most Russians wanted: invaded and occupied a country. It did not matter to them that this small Muslim country has nothing to do with Russia culturally, they just wanted to conquer.

2005-2008 (08.08.2008 Georgia invasion) was the time when Russia was no longer democratic, but some freedoms left.

2014 Annexation of Crimea and Donbass proxy war - the beginning of the end

2022 Ukraine invasion - transition to fascism completed: it is not allowed to call a war a war, the Russians no longer pretend they want to "liberate" Ukraine.

What happens to the fascist regimes? Either they transition back to democracy peacefully (Spain, Portugal, Greece) or not so peacefully (Austria, Italy, Germany).

I bet for the Italian scenario.

12 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Could it also be that everyone who refused to fight Putin you and Jeffo treated like heroes?

What?

Who are these that have refused to fight Putin that you refer to?

You just being your usual c**tish self?

2 hours ago, john g. said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/03/ireland-condemns-russian-tv-for-nuclear-attack-simulation

Ireland has cause for concern if the Russians nuke the " British Isles."

So do the rest of us.

It's propaganda. They only have a prototype, and despite claims of 100MT, western estimations put it at 2MT, which won't cause a tsunami.

Still, this will come in the next 20 years, unless they are bankrupt by then.

4 hours ago, Keleth said:

What?

You just being your usual c**tish self?

Do you know the difference between the 2015 refugee crisis and the refugee crisis which we have now?

So in the latest EU sanctions 3 Russian broadcasters will be cut off from cable, internet and satellite. That's going to make it hard for those Russians living here who only ever watch Russian broadcasts. Where are they going to get their propaganda from now?

In response to the open letter by "concerned" prominent citizens like Alice Schwarzer, a different group has published their own open letter calling on the German government to give Ukraine all the weapons they need to defend against the Russian invasion, embargo Russian energy exports so as to remove a source of funding for Putin's war, and give Ukraine a binding perspective for joining the EU. They recognize that Ukraine is also fighting for our own security and for the future of a democratic Europe.

You can read the letter and sign the petition here: https://www.change.org/p/die-sache-der-ukraine-ist-auch-unsere-sache

Please sign and help prove that there are more people in Germany who want to help Ukraine defeat Putin's band of war criminals than appease Putin and leave the brave Ukrainian people twisting in the wind.

26 minutes ago, French bean said:

So in the latest EU sanctions 3 Russian broadcasters will be cut off from cable, internet and satellite. That's going to make it hard for those Russians living here who only ever watch Russian broadcasts. Where are they going to get their propaganda from now?

Given that I can view Test Cricket and Champions League Football  free of charge and subscription via various websites with P2P offerings, I doubt it is that hard to find the same sort of thing with Russian TV or for that matter in Russia with Western TV!

3 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Do you know the difference between the 2015 refugee crisis and the refugee crisis which we have now?

Ah you mean those fleeing war in 2015 were non-whites and now from Ukraine they´re mostly white?

Ok I get your point of view but most people treat people the same no matter their colour and if you choose not to then that´s your thing.

Anyway are you going to answer the question or are you just full of your usual bluster and bullshit?

17 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Anyway are you going to answer the question or are you just full of your usual bluster and bullshit?

The question about your rage or was there something else you wanted to ask?

52 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

The question about your rage or was there something else you wanted to ask?

Nah not rage it´s pity.

You´ve heard about the old times when the court jester was being an idiot to try and impress the king and the rest of the court would look on while pretending to laugh but were really looking on with utter pity that someone could degrade themselves so much just to earn a penny.

I (and many others on this forum)feel like one of those members of the court looking down on the jester when we read one of your deranged posts.

Anyway back to the question you didn´t answer, I´ll repost it because I honestly think you´re dumb enough to have forgotten it.

9 hours ago, Keleth said:

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

Ah you mean those fleeing war in 2015 were non-whites and now from Ukraine they´re mostly white?

Ok I get your point of view but most people treat people the same no matter their colour and if you choose not to then that´s your thing.

Looking back, the refugee situation was more controversial because there were obvious refugees from war ( eg Syria ) but also non- refugees from war making the most of the chance to live in Germany: economic refugees from non-war zones.

Ukraine is a clear cut case of people fleeing from war. 

40 minutes ago, john g. said:

Looking back, the refugee situation was more controversial because there were obvious refugees from war ( eg Syria ) but also non- refugees from war making the most of the chance to live in Germany: economic refugees from non-war zones.

Ukraine is a clear cut case of people fleeing from war. 

Yep but do you deny the majority a safe haven just to stop the minority?

On 03/05/2022, 16:17:04, keith2011 said:

I know what you mean, a friend of my father who landed in France (Airborne soldier) on D day once told me he still believed the only good German was a dead one. :(

I remember people like that. And have personally come across some. Of course, having not been involved in a war or having my loved ones bombed, raped etc, it is easier for me to " forgive " what never happened to me.

Back in my home town in England c 1978, visiting an old school friend and his parents and chatting about my travels - including a year in Germany from 1970-1971, my mate's mum started crying. She had been around in the Second World War. I mentioned how lovely my time was in Bonn. But, looking back, you know- it was her memories and feelings that counted. Not mine. I had no right to criticise her feelings.

Having said that - I am now nearly 70 - I stick to my opinion that collective guilt should not exist. How often was I hassled- even attacked - for being a Brit in a land whose historical " stress " with " my " country " was before my time?

13 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Yep but do you deny the majority a safe haven just to stop the minority?

No. Genuine refugees - always a safe haven.

Others- follow the immigration rules like others have to. Just like we Brexit refugees have to! And Americans, Brazilians, Indonesians, Japanese, Nigerians coming to Germany and we/they to their countries.

( Speaking as a former " expert " on ignoring immigration rules!)😂