The War in Ukraine

2,624 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

The only reason Russia can afford to attack Ukraine is because the money which the EU gives it

No, it´s not as if the EU was Russia´s only or even its most important customer when it comes to energy exports. Gas is accounting for only 25% of it, while last year set an all-time record for income from oil sales, due to high oil prices. And not even all NATO countries are going to stop buying Russian oil, not to mention the rest of the world. Putin won´t care who´s buying Russian oil, as long as it´s being bought. There is no way a gas embargo will materially affect Russia as long as oil prices are at current levels (which is unlikely to change anytime soon).

21 hours ago, yesterday said:

But you notice its shuts down Poland and  Bulgaria. But Russia has not shut down Germany or Italy.

Why not 

Because Germany and Italy buy huge amounts of Gas from Russia, if Russia set on these countries, it would lose a huge amount of money that it is making, to finance the war in Ukraine.

No, but because they are using Gazprombank for making payment. There is a reason this bank hasn´t been excluded from the SWIFT system. Poland and Bulgaria refused to do so. Why do you think that´s not the reason they are no longer being supplied, especially as this was the official explanation given by Gazprom? No need to make up other reasons.

8 hours ago, French bean said:

It just means the world suppliers will be swapping customers around.

It also means energy prices in Europe will be higher than elsehwere and European energy intensive industries will be less competitive. A lot less. I doubt Putin will stop the war just because we´re shooting ourselves in the foot.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Okay own up.

Who woke up jeba from his afternoon nap in his nursing home?

I assumed you did ;-)

2 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

626ba5fbb6adc_rwandabear.jpg.fd3860893a4

For this thread shouldn't that be a bear taking a family of Ukrainians to Russia?

626ce8708daae_putinshells.jpg.79f35bf5c1

Titled 'The Face Of War' this was created by Ukrainian artist, Daria Marchenko

for the picture she used 5000 bullet cases, collected from the streets of Ukraine

On 30/04/2022, 19:32:51, Wulfrun said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61249158

The Russian troops are fucking barbarians...

Go to the BBC link...

Seems to be many war crimes being committed.

I do wonder though if any of them will ever be prosecuted.

Let´s say Ukraine "wins" and the Russian forces go back to Russia and Putin loses power.

I cannot see there is any way on Earth the Russians hand over people to be tried no matter who takes power over there and they definitely wouldn´t hand over Putin to face trial.

If Russia "wins" then there is also no way they´re going to hand people over to be tried.

In the past, the people facing war crimes trials have come from countries where you have had a pro-Western govt take over power or such as in SWW the criminals' country has actually been taken over by the opposing forces thus allowing easy access to them (although post-war the Germans were somewhat reluctant).

I can´t see a pro-western or truly democratic govt taking over Russia and it certainly won't be taken over by a Western power so to me it seems these crimes are being committed with almost impunity.

17 minutes ago, Keleth said:

I cannot see there is any way on Earth the Russians hand over people to be tried no matter who takes power over there and they definitely wouldn´t hand over Putin to face trial.

They would. Russians already are Putting blame on Putin as the person who is solely responsible for war crimes. They will not arrest him for another reason: people like him commit suicide when they see they are failed. I am sure he is carrying a small bottle of poison with him. 

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Seems to be many war crimes being committed.

I do wonder though if any of them will ever be prosecuted.

Let´s say Ukraine "wins" and the Russian forces go back to Russia and Putin loses power.

If Russia "wins" then there is also no way they´re going to hand people over to be tried.

In the past, the people facing war crimes trials have come from countries where you have had a pro-Western govt take over power or such as in SWW the criminals' country has actually been taken over by the opposing forces thus allowing easy access to them (although post-war the Germans were somewhat reluctant).

I can´t see a pro-western or truly democratic govt taking over Russia and it certainly won't be taken over by a Western power so to me it seems these crimes are being committed with almost impunity.

I got a 5 day suspension from FB for calling the Russian troops barbarians

8 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

Did FB suggest how else  you should  have described troops who carry out such barbaric crimes?

Wow, I'm glad I closed my FB account a couple of years ago.

18 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

Just shows how difficult it is to fairly moderate a forum like Facebook...

20 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Did FB suggest how else  you should  have described troops who carry out such barbaric crimes?

Wow, I'm glad I closed my FB account a couple of years ago.

FB just sends a message stating which word was unacceptable and for how long the punishment lasts...

I just wonder how much influence Russia may have on FB... It seems that a lot of Russian oligarchs have spread a lot of money around...

What you describe is most probably an automatic ban.  FB can ban you for posting any_nationality + offensive_word.    The AI is pretty weak, it can't catch slang or subtle other intentions in the sentence.   I've received as well a couple of bans like that, some were ridiculous because they were not even offending.   You can appeal the ban and a real person will check it, but "Barbarian Russians" probably won't fly.

P.S., "any_nationality" is not really all of them, but the list of countries is pretty long.