The War in Ukraine

2,654 posts in this topic

She goes under the Radar. The EU really doesn't want to fund Russia but it doesn't have an alternative source for gas, that takes time and the Norwegians have already said they cannot ramp up production immediately. What there is is a commitment to stop using Russian coal ( a drop in the ocean), to reduce use of Russian oil that is presently happening and to be totally independent of Russian gas within as quick a time as possible. In the mean time at least Europe is helping Ukraine not just with weapons but financially as well and is taking an economic hit with its sanctions against Russia.

As they say Rome wasn't built in a day.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You really are unbelievable.  How low can you actually go.

The EU is funding this war.

Since the start of the war.

EU to Russia: 35 BILLION Euros. 

EU to Ukraine: 1 billion Euros.

Even after the annexation of Crimea the EU (Merkel) still went ahead with Nord Stream 2.

Really remarkable that in all these pages of debate or ranting no one dares criticise Merkel.

The UK is still importing Russian energy too, albeit to a lesser extent, so the UK is paying to kill fewer civilians than us. If the UK wants to help it can share the burden of cutting out Russia as an energy supplier, but I haven't heard of that being on the agenda. Indeed, I've heard stuff like "well we only get 3% of our gas from Russia so if they cut Europe off we'll still be alright". That's the spirit.

Not just Merkel fucked up here. Dozens and dozens of EU leaders including UK PM's fucked up. US presidents too. The western world dropped the ball here. Few countries saw this coming at an official level until very recently. Remember Mitt Romney being castigated for his claims at the height of the ISIS crisis that Russia was the greatest threat to western democracy. You could hear the laughter on this side of the Atlantic. Well what they hell did we know, he was right!

51 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The UK is still importing Russian energy too, albeit to a lesser extent, so the UK is paying to kill fewer civilians than us. If the UK wants to help it can share the burden of cutting out Russia as an energy supplier, but I haven't heard of that being on the agenda. Indeed, I've heard stuff like "well we only get 3% of our gas from Russia so if they cut Europe off we'll still be alright". That's the spirit.

49 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Not just Merkel fucked up here. Dozens and dozens of EU leaders including UK PM's fucked up. US presidents too. The western world dropped the ball here. Few countries saw this coming at an official level until very recently. Remember Mitt Romney being castigated for his claims at the height of the ISIS crisis that Russia was the greatest threat to western democracy. You could hear the laughter on this side of the Atlantic. Well what they hell did we know, he was right!

You really can`t stop.

Th EU funds Russias War but its the UK`s fault.

Do you even read your wacked up posts before hitting the "Submit Reply" button?

Sorry the EU funding the Russian War Machine is all down to the EU.

As much as you want to, I don`t think you can blame Trump or Brexit for this one. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61235528

The war in Ukraine is set to cause the "largest commodity shock" since the 1970s, the World Bank has warned.

In a new forecast, it said disruption caused by the conflict would contribute to huge price rises for goods ranging from natural gas to wheat and cotton.

The increase in prices "is starting to have very large economic and humanitarian effects", Peter Nagle, a co-author of the report, told the BBC.

He said "households across the world are feeling the cost of living crisis".

"We're particularly worried about the poorest households since they spend a larger share of income on food and energy, so they're particularly vulnerable to this price spike," the senior economist at the World Bank added.

5 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61235528

The war in Ukraine is set to cause the "largest commodity shock" since the 1970s, the World Bank has warned.

In a new forecast, it said disruption caused by the conflict would contribute to huge price rises for goods ranging from natural gas to wheat and cotton.

The increase in prices "is starting to have very large economic and humanitarian effects", Peter Nagle, a co-author of the report, told the BBC.

He said "households across the world are feeling the cost of living crisis".

"We're particularly worried about the poorest households since they spend a larger share of income on food and energy, so they're particularly vulnerable to this price spike," the senior economist at the World Bank added.

What happened to all the "un-funny" mimes you post?

Are you trying to make people take you seriously?

10 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You really can`t stop.

Th EU funds Russias War but its the UK`s fault.

Do you even read your wacked up posts before hitting the "Submit Reply" button?

Sorry the EU funding the Russian War Machine is all down to the EU.

As much as you want to, I don`t think you can blame Trump or Brexit for this one. 

You swallowed Putin's Brexit ejaculate hook line and sinker mate, despite being told AT THE TIME that the Russians were funding the thing. Don't talk to me about blame and not seeing the bigger picture. The UK buys Russian petrochemicals too. What part of this don't you understand? The UK could relatively easily stop sending any money to Russia as it "only" relies on the country for 3% of its gas (but also for diesel for example). Why doesn't the UK immediately stop funding the killing of Ukrainians or is it ok because it's only a few compared to the big bad EU? (which is not a country by the way and cannot force member states to stop buying Russian oil unless there is consensus).

I bet if Germany stopped buying gas tomorrow you'd be the first one moaning about being cold.

13 hours ago, jeba said:

I think you´re jumping to conclusions. AFAIK in contrast to Germany Poland and Bulgaria refused to pay via Gazprombank which will convert payment to roubles before forwarding it.  What makes you think that this isn´t the reason?

The contract with BASF expires in 2030 only. It´s a "take or pay" contract, by the way, which is common in the pipeline industry.

Russia is demanding payment in Rubles, even though the contract says payment will be made in Euro or dollar, so it seems like contracts can just be ignored. There is nothing to stop the EU stopping payment of Russian Gas, when the EU can get Gas from other places. During war times, contacts often get ignored, and I will support each measure to cause pain to Russia, where it does not cause major damage to us.

6 minutes ago, murphaph said:

You swallowed Putin's Brexit ejaculate hook line and sinker mate, despite being told AT THE TIME that the Russians were funding the thing. Don't talk to me about blame and not seeing the bigger picture. The UK buys Russian petrochemicals too. What part of this don't you understand? The UK could relatively easily stop sending any money to Russia as it "only" relies on the country for 3% of its gas (but also for diesel for example). Why doesn't the UK immediately stop funding the killing of Ukrainians or is it ok because it's only a few compared to the big bad EU? (which is not a country by the way and cannot force member states to stop buying Russian oil unless there is consensus).

I bet if Germany stopped buying gas tomorrow you'd be the first one moaning about being cold.

I have a heat pump and solar panels (no gas) so NO, I won`t be cold.

Is that our argument, The UK buys some Russian stuff so it is just as bad as the EU which has spent 35 billion supporting Russias War. Half of the UK`s gas comes from the North Sea.

EU to Russia: 800million Euros per day.

UK to Russia (at most): 6million euros per day

But the bad UK is to blame.

Your like a broken record, Brexit vote happened in 2016, get over it. 

The UK is partially to blame if we are apportioning blame, yes. Brexit is still going on where I'm from you knob. You were told about Northern Ireland and the grave implications Brexit would have on it but you ignored that advice too. Whatever, Brexit is not over as it's in the fucking news every week even during this war ;-)

You display amazing ignorance of how electricity is produced here, much of it from gas. When the sun is playing hide and seek and your heat pump needs energy, where is it going to come from? Having said that I can understand your position better now. You basically could't give a fuck about other people being cold as "you're alright jack". If you take in some German granny with gas heating for the winter you can call for the gas to be turned off. Until you are prepared to do that I think your demands ring a bit hollow as you are personally unaffected (until the sun goes in) by them.

Once again, the EU is not a country. The EU does not send a cheque to Putin. Individual countries don't even send cheques to Putin. The EU is also 8 times bigger than the UK. You need to get out of the "EU and UK are comparable in size" mentality that Brexiteers are so fond of. The EU has far more heavy industry too. London traders laundering Oligarchs' money don't consume as much gas as Krupps.

23 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The UK is partially to blame if we are apportioning blame, yes. Brexit is still going on where I'm from you knob. You were told about Northern Ireland and the grave implications Brexit would have on it but you ignored that advice too. Whatever, Brexit is not over as it's in the fucking news every week even during this war ;-)

You display amazing ignorance of how electricity is produced here, much of it from gas. When the sun is playing hide and seek and your heat pump needs energy, where is it going to come from? Having said that I can understand your position better now. You basically could't give a fuck about other people being cold as "you're alright jack". If you take in some German granny with gas heating for the winter you can call for the gas to be turned off. Until you are prepared to do that I think your demands ring a bit hollow as you are personally unaffected (until the sun goes in) by them.

Once again, the EU is not a country. The EU does not send a cheque to Putin. Individual countries don't even send cheques to Putin. The EU is also 8 times bigger than the UK. You need to get out of the "EU and UK are comparable in size" mentality that Brexiteers are so fond of. The EU has far more heavy industry too. London traders laundering Oligarchs' money don't consume as much gas as Krupps.

Unfortunately you are so consumed by Brexit, you can`t even see the facts when they are staring you in the face.

The only reason Russia can afford to attack Ukraine is because the money which the EU gives it. How far would Russias war last with the money the UK gives it. Maybe a few days.

This might come as surprise to you, but the EU was warned about being dependent on Russian Gas.

Here an article from 2021.

https://www.politico.eu/article/vladimir-putin-german-chancellors-nord-stream-russia-energy-angela-merkel/

So is Germany willing to sell Ukraine down the river and strain relations with key allies from Warsaw to Washington in order to secure access to cheap gas? In a word, yes. 

Putin doesn't just wage war with the gas and oil revenues man! He has to somehow keep Russia itself running so the UK's contribution to the war effort very much makes a difference, it all makes a difference. But the fact that the UK which only imports 3% of its gas from Russia is also unwilling at present to just go without should go some way to illustrating how difficult it would be for somewhere like here to cease imports overnight too. If the UK can't do it at 3% it's pretty unlikely we are going to be able to do it given our much larger reliance.

Brexit isn't over, that's not me being consumed by it, it's just a fact, because Brexit was a fucking terrible idea that was so bad its repercussions will be felt for decades.

8 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Putin doesn't just wage war with the gas and oil revenues man! He has to somehow keep Russia itself running so the UK's contribution to the war effort very much makes a difference, it all makes a difference. But the fact that the UK which only imports 3% of its gas from Russia is also unwilling at present to just go without should go some way to illustrating how difficult it would be for somewhere like here to cease imports overnight too. If the UK can't do it at 3% it's pretty unlikely we are going to be able to do it given our much larger reliance.

Brexit isn't over, that's not me being consumed by it, it's just a fact, because Brexit was a fucking terrible idea that was so bad its repercussions will be felt for decades.

You didn`t even read the article.

All you came up with is UK this, UK that, everything is the UK`s fault.

Very sad really.

Breaking news.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/apr/28/european-energy-firms-seek-ways-to-comply-with-putin-gas-payment-decree

Bloomberg News on Wednesday reported that four European companies have paid in roubles, citing a person close to Gazprom, while another 10 have opened accounts.

So much for solidarity with Ukraine

Wonder how Brexit is to blame for this? @murphaph

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-04-28-22/index.html

Moscow warns of "harsh response" to any strikes on Russian territory

Russia will respond harshly to strikes by Ukrainian Armed Forces on Russian territory, Russian foreign ministry spokesperson, Maria Zakharova, said during a press briefing on Thursday.

“Such criminal activity by the Armed Forces of Ukraine against Russian territory cannot go unanswered,” Zakharova said. “I would like Kyiv and Western capitals to take seriously the statements of the Ministry of Defense of our country, that further provocation of Ukraine to strike at Russian targets will necessarily lead to a harsh response from Russia."

“We do not recommend further testing our patience. Russia is determined to achieve the set goals of the special military operation,” Zakharova added.

Looks and sounds to me like the Russians are talking big and running scared, they realise that if NATO were to bring in even just its air power they would be kicked out of the Ukraine in 5 days and their only option would be to resort to nuclear weapons and risk MAD!

I also agree with @murphaph that the Russians have made a spectacular miscalculation and it won't just be Europe that will be making sure they are not dependant on Russian energy or commodities.

36 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Russia will respond harshly to strikes by Ukrainian Armed Forces on Russian territory, Russian foreign ministry spokesperson, Maria Zakharova, said during a press briefing on Thursday.

The Kremlin has warned the West that sending heavy weapons to Ukraine threatens security on the European continent

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61252785

14 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

The Kremlin has warned the West that sending heavy weapons to Ukraine threatens security on the European continent

Which of course invading Ukraine doesn´t.

5 hours ago, yesterday said:

There is nothing to stop the EU stopping payment of Russian Gas, when the EU can get Gas from other places.

That should read "if" rather than "when".