The War in Ukraine

2,642 posts in this topic

This was posted on Twitter by Germans who seem to be surprised that most Germans view Russians as "white people" and Ukrainians as "Africans who can use the washing machine".

Those who are trying to find racism in different treatment of Ukrainian and Syrian refugees: you were right, but not in a way you thought you were right.

FQ8OUniXoAE840s.jpeg.6683e98a5d91a4f08f5

38 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

Ahhh I see. Yes was horrid how they renamed St Petersburg etc.. Grim. Didn't St Petersburg also used to be the capital of Imperial Russia?

Correct me if I am wrong, as my history is rusty

Didn't Stalin sign the Warsaw Pact with Churchhill and Roosevelt? I think Churchhill even made a comment it was like a deal with the devil? To stop the Red Army marching through Europe back then?

And then when the wall came down and Germany was reunified there was no new pact made?

Then the USSR crumbled. Yugoslavia had a nasty civil war, Romania was also grim... Ceausescu...

Then Russia wanted to join NATO? All went pear shaped with the annexation of Crimea in 2014 by the Russians...so basically none of this is new? The whole thing has been going on since 2014. Terrible situation for everyone.

I just really hope it doesn't turn into a nasty world war with the threat of nukes. :(

OK, yes St Petersburg was a royal city and capital from 1713 until the revolution. Stalin did not sign the Warsaw Pact with Churchill and Roosevelt. The Russians formed the Warsaw Pact with their Puppet states in eastern Europe as a response to the setting up of NATO. Russia didn't really want to join NATO I think but in the turmoil of the '90's after the wall fell and before Putin they may have toyed with the idea. The trouble was really because Russia went from a state run economy which was heavily subsidised to a free market economy which left a lot of people poor and out of work. The US and other Western countries didn't help by not helping with loans to stabilise the economy but by trying to do a smash and grab. Unfortunately there were too many Russians that were better at that and hence the massive increase in corruption and the selling off of state industries for a pittance in rigged auctions. Then enters Putin saying he can stabilise things and make Russia great again and here we are now, back to where we were 40 years ago but with a shooting war going on.

A Russian politician has claimed the UK is Vladimir Putin's next 'prime target'.

Russian journalist Vladimir Solovyov recently claimed that UK news channels were broadcasting images and reports of the massacres in Bucha and elsewhere in Ukraine to prepare the public for a nuclear attack.

Also appearing on Russia-1, he said: "It's the perfect option for the West. Not America as it would be a pity for them [to be hit in retaliation], but Britain strikes the country which is guilty of genocide, and which is upsetting poor, unhappy Zelenskyy.

It also becomes clear that we've taken out a load of British instructors in Ukraine. And Britain, which possesses nuclear weapons, strikes us with tactical nukes.

While not alerting to the possibility of a nuclear strike, Five Eyes – comprised of the UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and US – warned the Russian government may be planning cyber attacks against nuclear stations, the NHS and other critical services.

The collective warned it was in response to 'unprecedented economic sanctions' imposed on Russia.

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-state-tv-war-europe-world-ukraine-1699682

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

Um, are you drunk? :)

Sorry if I am missing irony, only got 2 hours sleep.  Quordle was a challenge today.  Well, tbh everything is.  Just trying to stay awake long enough to sleep when we are supposed to sleep.  Any suggestions welcomed, btw.

Not yet :P

1 hour ago, French bean said:

OK, yes St Petersburg was a royal city and capital from 1713 until the revolution. Stalin did not sign the Warsaw Pact with Churchill and Roosevelt. The Russians formed the Warsaw Pact with their Puppet states in eastern Europe as a response to the setting up of NATO. Russia didn't really want to join NATO I think but in the turmoil of the '90's after the wall fell and before Putin they may have toyed with the idea. The trouble was really because Russia went from a state run economy which was heavily subsidised to a free market economy which left a lot of people poor and out of work. The US and other Western countries didn't help by not helping with loans to stabilise the economy but by trying to do a smash and grab. Unfortunately there were too many Russians that were better at that and hence the massive increase in corruption and the selling off of state industries for a pittance in rigged auctions. Then enters Putin saying he can stabilise things and make Russia great again and here we are now, back to where we were 40 years ago but with a shooting war going on.

Thanks for that. I was confusing it (signing of the Warsaw pact) with the Yalta Conference (aka Crimean Conferance-Codenamed Argonaut).

Here is an interesting link about the Yalta Conference, there is also a video of Stalin, Churchhill and Roosevelt in the link.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51282716

1 hour ago, French bean said:

Stalin did not sign the Warsaw Pact with Churchill and Roosevelt. The Russians formed the Warsaw Pact with their Puppet states in eastern Europe as a response to the setting up of NATO.

Interesting fact: the Warsaw Pact is the only military union in the history of humanity which fought only with its own members.

How is it relevant to the current war? The Russians planned it exactly like invasions of Hungary in 1956 and Czechoslovakia in 1968: Blitzkrieg+removal of government and installing the new puppet government.

But this time it did not work...

It's just so sad

We have all this technology, and yet humans are just the same. All the same over and over. Power mad, hungry, war etc etc...

Terrible.

30 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Interesting fact: the Warsaw Pact is the only military union in the history of humanity which fought only with its own members.

How is it relevant to the current war? The Russians planned it exactly like invasions of Hungary in 1956 and Czechoslovakia in 1968: Blitzkrieg+removal of government and installing the new puppet government.

But this time it did not work...

Here is a link you may want to read to see about the relevance to the current war.

I neither agree or disagree with the article. Just interesting to read.

https://www.republicworld.com/world-news/russia-ukraine-crisis/russia-ukraine-war-did-natos-promises-of-warsaw-pact-provoke-moscow-in-attacking-kyiv-articleshow.html

The response was though to my question which I had mistaken (if you see post above) with the Yalta Conference.

9 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

Here is a link you may want to read to see about the relevance to the current war.

https://www.republicworld.com/world-news/russia-ukraine-crisis/russia-ukraine-war-did-natos-promises-of-warsaw-pact-provoke-moscow-in-attacking-kyiv-articleshow.html

Please vet sources better. Spreading poor information diminishes the seriousness of this conversation. Disclaiming agreement with a half-assed source does not indemnify you.

20220423_192011.jpg

50 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Please vet sources better. Spreading poor information diminishes the seriousness of this conversation. Disclaiming agreement with a half-assed source does not indemnify you.

Will try my best. Already said I neither agree or disagree with the article and that I had mistaken the Warsaw pact with the Yalta conference. Also in my last posts about Rasputin, the Romanovs etc... Well, that is just speculation. Nooone knows what would have happened if the Bolsheviks had not done what they did, but it happened.

This is footage from the Yalta Conference. I suggest to watch this video.

I just hope and pray that nukes don't get involved. I find it sad we have all this technology but yet humans are still the same, power hungry, and that it is always the innocent that suffer :(

10 hours ago, AlexTr said:

What exactly in the article linked do you deem incorrect?

14 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Disclaiming agreement with a half-assed source does not indemnify you.

It bears repeating.

5 hours ago, jeba said:

What exactly in the article linked do you deem incorrect?

Maybe the fact it's got republic in its name, is stated as right centre and has mixed factual reporting- that to me states that it's reports need further fact checking and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

3 hours ago, AlexTr said:

It bears repeating.

That's not an answer.

17 hours ago, Anna66 said:

...humans are still the same, power hungry...

Boys would be more accurate. Testosterone, innit ? (Body language interesting.)

19 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Spreading poor information diminishes the seriousness of this conversation. Disclaiming agreement with a half-assed source does not indemnify you.

Ok as I´m on Jebas ignore list I´ll post this in response to AlexTr.

From the article...

"When the dissolution of the Soviet Union took place in 1991, NATO had promised Russia that if it terminated the Warsaw Pact, they would not include countries of Eastern Europe in the defence treaty that were previously part of the Soviet Union"

That´s wrong for a start and is something Putin uses as a reason to invade Ukraine.

NATO - Topic: NATO-Russia relations: the facts (archive.org)

PolitiFact | Fact-checking claims that NATO, US broke agreement against alliance expanding eastward

20 hours ago, Anna66 said:

I don't click on articles that contain the words "did NATO provoke Moscow". I have read enough bollocks on Ukraine for the last decade, and there is nothing new produced, the same nonsense is being repeated, and these people who write these articles get paid for their "job". 

I would also like to write one article and then repeat the same content for decades getting paid for that.  

26 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

I don't click on articles that contain the words "did NATO provoke Moscow".

The goal of propaganda is not to make neutrals believe your side but for neutrals to not believe the other side either.

3 hours ago, optimista said:

Boys would be more accurate. Testosterone, innit ? (Body language interesting.)

Sadly all humans, not just males. Look at Margaret Thatcher, the USSR even nicknamed her the iron lady. You give some people power and they get power hungry. It is not just males who get like that, females can too. Just seems to be that way sadly. You give some people some power and they get hungry for more, or start to behave in tyrannical ways. People in general cannot handle power like that. Imagine if there was a world president, what kind of power that could do to someone... scary thought.:blink:

Just history repeating itself sadly. Power hunger, control, territory etc etc... Just sad. Really sad :(