The War in Ukraine

2,624 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

The tanks they are talking about are outdated Leopard 1 from scrap yards.

The soldiers in the Ukraine are used to Russian T64's, T72's.

How long does it take to train the 3 man crew to effectively use the tank? Three month?

And they would have to be trained in Germany.

Any tank is better than no tank.

They say the training could be done in a matter of "days".

Once more though the logistics are the problem in regards to ammo and parts for them.

What people do forget though is tanks are most often not used up against enemy tanks. They´re mostly used for infantry support, destroying buildings, bunkers etc. Let´s face it even if your tank is 30 years out of date it´s still going to be able to do those jobs.

8 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

The tanks they are talking about are outdated Leopard 1 from scrap yards.

The soldiers in the Ukraine are used to Russian T64's, T72's.

How long does it take to train the 3 man crew to effectively use the tank? Three month?

And they would have to be trained in Germany.

The Leopard 1 is a tank from the same era as the T72 and during it's lifetime it was updated. All tanks are vulnerable to modern Anti-tank weapons but the Leopard like all western tanks, unlike the Russian tanks, has the ammunition stowed separately and not in the fighting compartment. It also has a very powerful gun and high maneuverability. On that basis it will be a match for the T72. However a shortage of  tanks doesn't seem to be a problem for the Ukrainians as the Russians keep giving them these vehicles, it's heavy guns such as the Howitzers the US is sending and aircraft they need. I also suspect they will need NBC equipment shortly.

Looks like Ukraine has used cluster bombs as well.

“It’s not surprising, but it’s definitely dismaying to hear that evidence has emerged indicating that Ukraine may have used cluster munitions in this current conflict,” said Mary Wareham, advocacy director of the arms division at Human Rights Watch. “Cluster munitions are unacceptable weapons that are killing and maiming civilians across Ukraine.”

An adviser to the Ukrainian armed forces and the Ministry of Defense declined to comment.

article here

As far as the Ukranians are concerned they are fighting a total war and that unfortunately means they will use all weapons at their disposal after carefully assessing if it will be detrimental to them of course. Neither Russia or the Ukraine are signatories to the convention to ban cluster munitions.

I hear we've received an answer from Ukraine to jeba's appeasement strategy:

jeba_arguing.jpg.98838e505757497c084c50f

On 14/04/2022, 19:18:40, Keleth said:

The man is an idiot.

Do we then let them have Latvia, Poland, Finland etc?

I think Jeba already pretty much said that if it avoids a potential WW3 then just give him what he wants - and it's okay because he won't want East-Germany back.

Hundreds Of Ukrainians Queue For Post Office As Stamp Commemorating 'Russian Warship, Go F**k Yourself' Goes On Sale

gofuckyoustamp.jpg.40fdb9edf6ef4ccc24590

The Royal Albert Hall a few weeks ago. The Ukrainian national anthem. 

9 hours ago, john g. said:

Thanks for that, John. Good to see that I´m not the only lonely caller in the desert (do you have this figure of speech in English?), being on the side I´d of those I´d usually not want to be associated with, such as Wagenknecht and Lafontaine.

I should sue that guy for Mundraub as he´s taken the words from my mouth.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

Thanks for that, John. Good to see that I´m not the only lonely caller in the desert (do you have this figure of speech in English?), being on the side I´d of those I´d usually not want to be associated with, such as Wagenknecht and Lafontaine.

I should sue that guy for Mundraub as he´s taken the words from my mouth.

When even Chomsky doesn´t call for the Ukrainians to give the Russians what they want then you know you´re in the wrong.

If they hadn't killed Grigori Rasputin, none of this would ever have happened. The world would look alot different now if the Bolsheviks had not killed Czar Nicholas II and the Romanovs.

Just saying.

2 hours ago, Anna66 said:

If they hadn't killed Grigori Rasputin, none of this would ever have happened. The world would look alot different now if the Bolsheviks had not killed Czar Nicholas II and the Romanovs.

Just saying.

And if Lenin hadn't died when he did and Stalin taken over. That's who Putin is modelling himself on IMO.

2 hours ago, French bean said:

And if Lenin hadn't died when he did and Stalin taken over. That's who Putin is modelling himself on IMO.

Ahhh I see. Yes was horrid how they renamed St Petersburg etc.. Grim. Didn't St Petersburg also used to be the capital of Imperial Russia?

Correct me if I am wrong, as my history is rusty

Didn't Stalin sign the Warsaw Pact with Churchhill and Roosevelt? I think Churchhill even made a comment it was like a deal with the devil? To stop the Red Army marching through Europe back then?

And then when the wall came down and Germany was reunified there was no new pact made?

Then the USSR crumbled. Yugoslavia had a nasty civil war, Romania was also grim... Ceausescu...

Then Russia wanted to join NATO? All went pear shaped with the annexation of Crimea in 2014 by the Russians...so basically none of this is new? The whole thing has been going on since 2014. Terrible situation for everyone.

I just really hope it doesn't turn into a nasty world war with the threat of nukes. :(

Um, are you drunk? :)

Sorry if I am missing irony, only got 2 hours sleep.  Quordle was a challenge today.  Well, tbh everything is.  Just trying to stay awake long enough to sleep when we are supposed to sleep.  Any suggestions welcomed, btw.