The War in Ukraine

2,491 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, john g. said:

I usually have no idea which items of information about the war are genuine or not. I came across this report on how the BBC checks. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/61096713

I know what you mean John, I've come to the conclusion that the Russian cruiser self-destructed out of embarrassment...

I don't pretend to know what countries are giving which weapons or how many. We read about it in many reputable news sources but I don't believe they are giving up all the information. Would be stupid when fighting/supporting a war.

We don't really know what the US is giving or any other country. Why would they give Russia a heads up on what to expect?

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I don't pretend to know what countries are giving which weapons or how many. We read about it in many reputable news sources but I don't believe they are giving up all the information. Would be stupid when fighting/supporting a war.

We don't really know what the US is giving or any other country. Why would they give Russia a heads up on what to expect?

More or less what I meant! You put it better👍.

I didn't read your link because it wanted to force me to accept cookies but I thought it might be along the same lines.

21 hours ago, yesterday said:

Sure I know this will lead to the loss of life, but its their choice.

How do you know that? I doubt that a poll among residents of e.g. Mariupol would support your guess. It certainly wouldn´t be mine. I´d rather sell my property while still intact and leave the country regularly than have it destroyed and my children mutilated or dead and leave as a refugee with nothing more than I can carry.

21 hours ago, yesterday said:

The west can provide some very effective counter measures against carpet bombing, maybe the west has already give this to the Ukraine. All the Russian jets are of an old technology without any stealth, they are easy meat even for older surface to Air missiles. The only thing the Russian will have is a vastly reduced air force if it wants to go that way.

I very much doubt your assessment of Russias military capabilities (just google "Kinzhal"). That´s wishful thinking as you can see from what happened to Mariupol. I seem to be more worried about Putin´s unscrupulousness than most here. Russian propaganda is already preparing the public for the use of nukes and claiming that Ukrainians are to a large part a bunch of nazis who won´t be missed.

52 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61129151

Images of surviving Moskva crew members, probably now residing in some gulag in Siberia...

Considering they've come off a sunken ship that suffered an explosion in the ship's magazine they all look very well presented and healthy. Are they really the crew?

6 hours ago, French bean said:

Considering they've come off a sunken ship that suffered an explosion in the ship's magazine they all look very well presented and healthy. Are they really the crew?

I would say yes, however, I think it is a photo from last year.

Did we hear anything else than lies from the Russians?

I saw many interviews of Russian soldiers and young adults living in the Ukraine with a Russian father and a Ukraine mother or vice versa.

There blieved the Russian propaganda and not what their children told them. Ridiculous!

Here is an example (the telephone call is at the end): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btyxRhObar

1 hour ago, Wulfrun said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61118706

Germany sitting on the fence over relationship with Russia

That article does not state that at all.

"On military support for Ukraine, Berlin says it is prepared to send whatever weapons Kyiv needs. But there are allegations that some ministries are getting tied up in bureaucracy"

"For the foreseeable future, co-operation with Russia will not occur. It will be more about containment and deterrence and, if needed, defence against Russia," 

"Few in Germany think that now. In one recent poll, 55% of Germans said Berlin should send heavy weapons, such as tanks and fighter jets, to Ukraine to fight against Russia."

I´m not sure how you get that conclusion at all as the whole article is about how Germanys attitude towards Russia has changed since the invasion.

This quote at the end...

"For Ariane, and many other Germans, any lingering Russophile romanticism vanished for good the day Putin's tanks rolled over Ukraine's border."

3 hours ago, French bean said:

Maybe not for very much longer. Rhein Metall are getting Leopard tanks ready to send to the Ukraine. They wouldn't be doing that unless they thought it was likely to happen and secondly, who's paying for the work?

https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/04/13/rheinmetall-leopard-tanks-ukraine/

The tanks they are talking about are outdated Leopard 1 from scrap yards.

The soldiers in the Ukraine are used to Russian T64's, T72's.

How long does it take to train the 3 man crew to effectively use the tank? Three month?

And they would have to be trained in Germany.