Electric vehicles in Germany - all the ins-and-outs!

639 posts in this topic

Yes. Will also make good charging reading material.

He has watched loads of videos and thinks he has a pretty good handle on it.

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Example: their default settings simply don't allow one-pedal driving.

There are 2 paddles on either side of the steering wheel. One is for adjusting the one-pedal/braking mode. Looks pretty simple.

7 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

There are 2 paddles on either side of the steering wheel. One is for adjusting the one-pedal/braking mode. Looks pretty simple.

This is a setting you adjust once and forget about it. Having 2 giant paddles for it is riddiculous. Worst, if you set it to maximum, it resets on the next drive, which I understand as a bug.

Unfortunately the default setting does not allow one-pedal driving, it's not strong enough for it. By one-pedal driving I mean driving in a city for 30 minutes without touching the brakes.

Ha Ha! The paddles are hardly huge. Himself will gradually get used to one-pedal driving. There are 3 other settings. I think the default settings can be changed as with every other device. Our model will stay on level 3 when you start the car.

here

13 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Ha Ha! The paddles are hardly huge. Himself will gradually get used to one-pedal driving. There are 3 other settings. I think the default settings can be changed as with every other device. Our model will stay on level 3 when you start the car.

Correct, but level 3 is not enough for one-pedal driving. You will find yourself using the brakes. If you move up to level 4, the setting won't be saved.

OK. Looks like a little paddle flicking. Other than that, what do you think about the Ioniq overall? Do you have the 4 wheel drive with everything version?

ETA -What are you doing driving a Hyundai? Is your Tesla in the shop?

:D

19 hours ago, fraufruit said:

OK. Looks like a little paddle flicking. Other than that, what do you think about the Ioniq overall? Do you have the 4 wheel drive with everything version?

I think it's a very good EV, decent efficiency (at low speeds), good one-pedal driving (when configured!), decent and responsive acceleration (1 motor), very spacious interior, excellent seats, very good looking. SW interface is snappy, and GPS re-routes very quickly. Definitely a good buy.

What I don't like:

• trunk is rather small for the size of the car, but still good enough. I think they sacrificied the trunk in order to increase interior size
  • somehow, being a big car, me and my 1.65m tall father in law keep bumping our head when exiting the car.
  • The 2 screens please the eye, but it's unfortunately a sales compromise. The screen in front of the wheel is too big and partially obscured by the wheel. Most of it is empty space. On the other hand, the second screen is too small which leads to cluttered controls
  • SW has a lot of features, but usability is still bad compared with Tesla. You get lost on menus very quickly.
  • SW features missing, for example seats and mirrors don't change position when changing driver profile. This is basic stuff, baffled it doesn't have it. Another example: if you set a charging schedule, you cannot manually start charging! This looks to be done by someone who never used the car.
  • SW bugs. Lots. For example it sometimes loses charging times from drive to drive.
  • no OTA, according to the salesperson
  • App requires manual registration (!) and somehow it's not available for business customers!!
  • Stupid behavior with Park, hand brake and leaving the car. Tesla makes it so simple, why make it so complicated??

Basically it's a good EV with lots to improve on SW side, compared to Tesla. Still, much better SW than VW. Hopefully they keep investing in SW updates.

I will try autopilot and highway driving tomorrow.

ETA -What are you doing driving a Hyundai? Is your Tesla in the shop?

:D

My father in law bought one. He likes crossovers, so the Model 3 was out. Model Y too expensive. And he was impatient and didn't bother to test the Kia, which I think is better.

Thanks, Mike. I remembered your FIL bought one when someone pointed out you were in Portugal.

Ours has 2 motors and AWD. As for adjusting the seat, he does all the driving usually although I'm going to have to check it out.

We'll figure it out. One major selling point was the comfy, cushy ride for me.

I can't imagine setting a charging schedule - not sure what it means, though. We will be plugged into 220 in our garage and then manually charging elsewhere. He's going to send me a photo of his first charge on his way home from Hanover. He put the last € 20 of diesel in the Skoda today. Whoopee!

Again, I appreciate your feedback.

I see prices of diesel are starting to climb above 2 Euros per litre. Last week a 50L tank cost me nearly 80 Euros. By next week, likely much more.

Sounds like that EV is become more interesting by the day.

It was on the Radio today, that the ADAC are saying that you save about 40 cent per litre filling in Austria compared to Germany, so making a scenic trip to the Alps and filling up, could also save you money on your weekly trips around Munich. Again it just shows u that most of the cost of Petrol and Diesel is tax.

55 minutes ago, scook17 said:

I see prices of diesel are starting to climb above 2 Euros per litre. Last week a 50L tank cost me nearly 80 Euros. By next week, likely much more.

38 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Again it just shows u that most of the cost of Petrol and Diesel is tax.

Does anyone believe that when EVs become the majority that the govt is not going to reclaim their lost tax revenue from somewhere else.

At the moment an EV is cheap in regards to tax and fuel but I´d be shocked if it stayed that way.

1 minute ago, Keleth said:

Does anyone believe that when EVs become the majority that the govt is not going to reclaim their lost tax revenue from somewhere else.

At the moment an EV is cheap in regards to tax and fuel but I´d be shocked if it stayed that way.

Sure they will charge the EV's more tax, but its a question of when ...

Maybe you can drive on reduced costs for another 10 years, maybe not

I think it will depend on when/if EV sales get to 50 % market share, could take quite a while, considering the chip shortage etc and other damaging effects on the economy 

On 22/02/2022, 11:11:59, Eric7 said:

Maybe an interesting deal for anyone considering the Cupra Born: Link

Private leasing, 5 months delivery time.
37,220 € List price
269 € pm
The deposit is equal to the BAFA-Umweltbonus.

In my opinion, leasing makes a lot of sense with EVs at the moment. The technology is advancing very quickly and leasing means not being stuck with an outdated model which will be hard to sell. Make sure it's Kilometerleasing rather than Restwertleasing though!

What happens regarding MWST when you lease a car and would normally be able to claim a refund of MWST and depreciation over 6 years? Does it make sense to lease a car rather than purchase it? You could for example simply buy the car on hire purchase OR lease it. Would it make any difference, tax wise?

Supposing you like the car, and after 48 months don't just want another new one. Do you get to pay just the remaining value or do companies tend to screw customers on this? Personally I was interested in the EV6, and it seems only KIA offer leasing at 2.99%.

It depends on your reason for buying an EV. One reason for us was we just wanted to stop buying diesel and polluting. I didn't even ask about how much a charge costs until the other day. 

The quiet ride and all the other perks are just bonuses.

12 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Electricity is taxed, you know?

5 minutes ago, scook17 said:

What happens regarding MWST when you lease a car and would normally be able to claim a refund of MWST and depreciation over 6 years? Does it make sense to lease a car rather than purchase it? You could for example simply buy the car on hire purchase OR lease it. Would it make any difference, tax wise?

Supposing you like the car, and after 48 months don't just want another new one. Do you get to pay just the remaining value or do companies tend to screw customers on this? Personally I was interested in the EV6, and it seems only KIA offer leasing at 2.99%.

There are a variety of leases available with different buyout options. I've heard some people prefer leasing as the extra liquidity can be more valuable for other purposes.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

We'll figure it out. One major selling point was the comfy, cushy ride for me.

It looked very good after 1h drive, but for me the ultimate test is a 3h+ drive. My Mercedes barely passes, and the Tesla excells. I will do a long trip with the Ioniq in the summer.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I can't imagine setting a charging schedule - not sure what it means, though. We will be plugged into 220 in our garage and then manually charging elsewhere. He's going to send me a photo of his first charge on his way home from Hanover.

Everybody has double or triple electricity schedules in Portugal. For examply my FIL pays only 9c/ kWh from 22:00 till 6:00. So when he arrives home at 19:00, he plugs in but the car won't start charging before 22:00. This is important. Together with climate control for departure time in the morning.

1 hour ago, scook17 said:

The more you delay the purchase, the more you will have to wait for one. I've predicted 2 years ago that very quickly EV delivery times would start to go crazy. The cheaper Teslas are almost sold out in Europe till the EOY.