Electric vehicles in Germany - all the ins-and-outs!

590 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Seems to me that without subsidies, the German car industry will be negatively effected.

Well, it seems those buying EV's switched from hybrids to full EVs in droves. 

https://insideevs.com/news/592116/germany-plugin-car-sales-may2022/

Was surprised to read 1 in 4 new cars purchased are either full electric or a hybrid.

Guess that is why they have decided it's too expensive now.

The UK ended grants this year

https://insideevs.com/news/592817/uk-no-plug-in-grant-evs/

On 02/06/2022, 10:34:47, MikeMelga said:

What car do you have? Cars like Tesla keep the 12V topped with the main, so that scenario never happens.

Sorry for late reply - Hyundai Kona, but it sounds from the past posts that only Tesla uses the HV battery so much during standstill. Sounds like the benefit of being a car manufacturer that produces only EVs... they properly utilize the fact that standstill consumption is peanuts for the main battery so why not use it?!

52 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Seems to me that without subsidies, the German car industry will be negatively effected.

If a €40K EV costs you €34K after the subsidy now, would buyers really be put off by having to pay the full €40K? Probably most would be able to find the extra, and indeed Tesla have increased their base model from €40K to €50K without suffering any loss in demand.

OTOH I think it sends the wrong message and EVs need to be cheaper. They could achieve that the other way around by slapping a big tax on new petrol and diesel registrations. Somehow I don't think the FDP would be in favour.