Electric vehicles in Germany - all the ins-and-outs!

660 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, circuits said:

What's wrong with a vehicle having an internet connection that occasionally downloads new map and driving data (a meager 10kb/km)?

The maps are continually generated by all the drivers 24/7 - nevertheless, Mobileye REM doesn't require a realtime data connection to function:

https://www.mobileye.com/technology/rem/

It is wrong because it is not what Tesla does. :ph34r:

18 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Don't get an EV. It will make you evil. We now guffaw at people turning into Tankstellen.

ONE OF US!!!

4 hours ago, circuits said:

What's wrong with a vehicle having an internet connection that occasionally downloads new map and driving data (a meager 10kb/km)?

No, they don't dload the map! It needs INSTANT connectivity! Most of the decisions are done on the cloud, not on the car!

4 hours ago, circuits said:

The maps are continually generated by all the drivers 24/7 - nevertheless, Mobileye REM doesn't require a realtime data connection to function:

https://www.mobileye.com/technology/rem/

Sure, the first driver to pass a new obstacle just crashes, the following ones are fine!

1 minute ago, MikeMelga said:

Sure, the first driver to pass a new obstacle just crashes, the following ones are fine!

So you like FUD too?  Because I don't see all those accidents anywhere 

56 minutes ago, Krieg said:

So you like FUD too?  Because I don't see all those accidents anywhere 

It's a scalability problem. Now they have a few thousands of cars with remote operators compensating the system flaws.

So the car stops and waits for instructions either from the driver or from the remote operator.

When they have millions of cars, this stops working.

Just now, MikeMelga said:

It's a scalability problem. Now they have a few thousands of cars with remote operators compensating the system flaws.

So the car stops and waits for instructions either from the driver or from the remote operator.

When they have millions of cars, this stops working.

So they are investing billions in something that does not work?   Man, only if they hire you and you could tell them, you could save Germany's economy and stop this impending disaster.

LoL FUD to the max

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

No, they don't dload the map! It needs INSTANT connectivity! Most of the decisions are done on the cloud, not on the car!

Nah, you're just wrong about this. If enabled, swarm data analyzes all anonymized driving behaviour regardless if it's turned on or if a VW vehicle has Travel Assist or not.

The ID.x series have an offline mode which prevents any communication with VW servers in order to comply with GDPR rules. Travel Assist without swarm data still works in this case:

"Die Online-Anteile des „Travel Assist mit Schwarmdaten“ sind nur im Rahmen der Mobilfunk-Netzabdeckung und bei entsprechenden Privatsphäre-Einstellungen nutzbar. Der Online-Anteil kann jederzeit in der We Connect ID. App deaktiviert werden. "

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/de/pressemitteilungen/cloudbasiert-und-mit-schwarmintelligenz-neue-software-generation-30-bringt-weiteren-innovationsschub-fuer-die-id-familie-7813/download

I'm just not convinced with auto pilot. As for EV's picking their ways through Baustellen and yellow lines, who wants to find out if it works? Not me.

"Oooh! Let's see if it can navigate through that!!!"

23 hours ago, Krieg said:

So they are investing billions in something that does not work?   Man, only if they hire you and you could tell them, you could save Germany's economy and stop this impending disaster.

LoL FUD to the max

Of course! Most of this ADAS companies (i'm following more the American ones) know they won't succeed! They are cashing in, taking it as long as possible and then they know they won't prevail!

Example: I also work in VCSEL field (measurement and qualification), which is used in the new generation of LIDAR. I'm pretty convinced that LIDAR will eventually be banned due to eye damage! And these companies KNOW ABOUT THIS RISK! They hide behind laser safety standards, but those standards don't apply directly outside lab environment!

Either they push it until a kid gets blind, or they drop laser power, in which case they won't be able to detect far!

By the way, give me a couple of millions, a team of 20 top programmers and 6 months. I'm sure I can make a convincing demo that works in a geo-fenced area. HD Maps + LIDAR + Cameras and you can make a convincing demo quickly. That's how all these dozens of companies did it.

34 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

By the way, give me a couple of millions, a team of 20 top programmers and 6 months. I'm sure I can make a convincing demo that works in a geo-fenced area. HD Maps + LIDAR + Cameras and you can make a convincing demo quickly. That's how all these dozens of companies did it.

Cut it out Geohot.

24 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Cut it out Geohot.

Geohot is smarter than that, he ditched LIDAR and HD maps.

On 30/05/2022, 16:39:47, MikeMelga said:

If the 12V batterie stops working on an EV, it's because it's dead, so it won't be possible to jump start.

The 12V drained on my EV due to a faulty in-car-entertainment system. It wasn't dead, just needed a jump which the ADAC mechanic gave me - same as for an ICE you get a number of get out of jail free jump starts included in your ADAC membership.

19 hours ago, toBnruG said:

The 12V drained on my EV due to a faulty in-car-entertainment system. It wasn't dead, just needed a jump which the ADAC mechanic gave me - same as for an ICE you get a number of get out of jail free jump starts included in your ADAC membership.

What car do you have? Cars like Tesla keep the 12V topped with the main, so that scenario never happens.

Here is a comparison between the Tesla 7 and the Ionic 5.

The 7 is definitely bigger but is also missing a few things. For example, once you have HUD you will never go back. Also, ventilated seats.

The charging station info doesn't apply in Europe. It is an American production.

5 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

What car do you have? Cars like Tesla keep the 12V topped with the main, so that scenario never happens.

Excuse my ignorance but why would you need a 12v battery on an EV? Surely you can use the main and step down the voltage level where necessary.

12 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Excuse my ignorance but why would you need a 12v battery on an EV? Surely you can use the main and step down the voltage level where necessary.

Because a 12v battery is the most efficient and safe way to power low voltage components in the car that are always on, like the ECU (the brain of the car), door locks, sensors, cameras, etc.

Actually, it's not because of the low voltage components. It's because in case of a severe problem with the main battery, it will self-shut down, but then you need power for steering, lights, doors, etc. It's a backup for the unlikely situation of the main shutting itself down (or going down to 0%).

16 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Because a 12v battery is the most efficient and safe way to power low voltage components in the car that are always on, like the ECU (the brain of the car), door locks, sensors, cameras, etc.

So a regular old lead acid job?

13 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

So a regular old lead acid job?

Actually yes, old EVs came with old technology 12v batteries. Nowadays they are lithium batteries mostly.   Another thing is they still buy OEM parts that are made from the same companies that make parts for ICEs so 12v is the standard.