Electric vehicles in Germany - all the ins-and-outs!

590 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

No, I'm capitalist, believe in an open market, with necessary regulation. Without regulation you go down to the worst of capitalism.

Meaning I believe state should regulate to ensure fair and healthy competition, along with consumer rights protection.

EDIT: as an example, I don't use Uber and I won't. For me it represents the worst of capitalism. On the other hand, I buy at Amazon and have no issue with it, because it service is top notch and allows small companies to reach a global market.

Some people would say Amazon are the pinnacle of the worst sort of capitalism.

"Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Market Worth $217.06 Billion by 2030"

SAN FRANCISCO, May 9, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- The global electric vehicle charging infrastructure market size is expected to reach USD 217.06 billion by 2030, growing at a CAGR of 30.6% from 2022 to 2030, according to a new study conducted by Grand View Research, Inc. Various electric vehicle manufacturers such as Volvo, Kia Motors, Mercedes-Benz, and Ford are collaborating with the charging infrastructure providers for easy availability of charging stations.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/electric-vehicle-charging-infrastructure-market-110000251.html

4 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

allows small companies to reach a global market.

They "allow" them because they get paid. Amazon earns a ton of money off of all their sellers.

Just now, fraufruit said:

They "allow" them because they get paid. Amazon earns a ton of money off of all their sellers.

I am no Amazon friend and I wish I would buy less from them, but their excellent customer service and super competitive prices make decisions complicated.  And to be fair, the Amazon Market Place conditions are fair for third parties, they get access to all Amazon logistics for a very reasonable price (Payments, deliveries, returns, inventory control, reviews, etc).

If you want to talk about unfair market places maybe we should talk about Apple Store and now Google Play Store, both asking for 30% commission for digital sales.   That's legal robbery and it should be stopped more sooner than later.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

This is not completely true. Amazon has low margins and their most profitable business area are web services. Interestingly, their international web store was only profitable once!

If Amazon had no AWS, it would be worth 10x less.

At the same time, they have over 150.000 business doing revenue over $100k per quarter!

8 hours ago, Krieg said:

I am no Amazon friend and I wish I would buy less from them, but their excellent customer service and super competitive prices make decisions complicated.  And to be fair, the Amazon Market Place conditions are fair for third parties, they get access to all Amazon logistics for a very reasonable price (Payments, deliveries, returns, inventory control, reviews, etc).

Yes but you have to wonder how they can make their prices competitive and how they can allow other companies to get cheap access to their logistics.

Well, you don´t really need to wonder.

Any recommendation on where to do the TüV for an electric car? Especially around Munich.

I have a few concerns, especially because lifting the car has special consideration due to battery supports.

At least around here they do not lift the car.   I don't think lifting vehicles is a good idea in a HU station, totally not practical.

Edit:  But googling shows they do in some places, but it is a platform that lifts from the ground.   Check your local one, you can easily go there and see it.

Speaking on the topic, when buying an EV, BE AWARE of the following:

- car lifters can only used the 4 marked spots to avoid battery damage (tip is for Tesla, but others might have the same issue)

- if an EV needs towing by a small truck, and if you have a motor on the rear, DO NOT allow them to keep the back wheels on the ground. That will destroy the motor and electronics.

Does Tesla have customer support so you could ask?

I would like to think that the mechanics who do TüV and towing know what they are doing. They were very careful lifting our Skoda for the last TüV. The guy was explaining while he did it.

Himself just looked at his charging bill for on the way to Slovenia. € 19 so 29cents/kwh. That was on the Autobahn in Austria. He gets a Hyundai discount for one year. In any event, it used to be about € 80 in diesel but that was last year before the prices went up.

Just saying.

17 hours ago, Keleth said:

Yes but you have to wonder how they can make their prices competitive and how they can allow other companies to get cheap access to their logistics.

Well, you don´t really need to wonder.

Actually, Amazon can be a PITA when it comes to items passing the 30 day mark and then breaking or not working. Equally they can also be very good and handle repairs. For me the most annoying part is 3rd party sellers. Whilst I am happy with Saturn being a 3rd party seller (and seriously, check out the sellers website for it's often cheaper direct), Joe down the road I'd rather pass on. As for someone in China, well, kiss any concept of warranty goodbye. In such cases, the law should make Amazon liable. If they recover the liability, all well and good, but me as the little guy buying something, forget it. It just becomes trash.

Does Tesla have customer support so you could ask?

They avoid answering the phone, but as I work nearby I sometimes stop by and ask. But the service through the app is incredible.

I would like to think that the mechanics who do TüV and towing know what they are doing. They were very careful lifting our Skoda for the last TüV. The guy was explaining while he did it.

Yeah, most horror stories come from America.

13 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Any recommendation on where to do the TüV for an electric car? Especially around Munich.

I have a few concerns, especially because lifting the car has special consideration due to battery supports.

I had mine inspected at the main TÜV Süd Station at Eichstätterstraße.

https://www.tuvsud.com/de-de/standorte/europe/germany/muenchen/eichstaetter-str-7

For a week or so before the appointment turn off regen and brake hard when no one is behind you. I was warned about rust build up on the rear rotors. YMMV.

16 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Himself just looked at his charging bill for on the way to Slovenia. € 19 so 29cents/kwh. That was on the Autobahn in Austria. He gets a Hyundai discount for one year. In any event, it used to be about € 80 in diesel but that was last year before the prices went up.

Just saying.

how much in kWh/km, and eur/km?

1 hour ago, Gambatte said:

how much in kWh/km, and eur/km?

Depends on car efficience. An Ioniq does around 17kWh/100km on average. Probably 20 on Autobahn. So 20*.29/100= 3.8c per km.

The Tesla is about 20% more efficient, but we're counting pennies at current charging costs.

2 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Depends on car efficience. An Ioniq does around 17kWh/100km on average. Probably 20 on Autobahn. So 20*.29/100= 3.8c per km.

The Tesla is about 20% more efficient, but we're counting pennies at current charging costs.

Amazing, specially at current prices.   EVs are more efficient and running costs are lower than my small 125cc motorbike (3.2L per 100 km).

EDIT: I made a copy paste mistake. 20*.29/100 is 5.8c.

I checked an EV database to get more accurate values.

Ioniq 5 on highway has an efficiency between 20 and 26kWh, depending on temperature. So cost per km is between 5.8c and 7.5c per km.

For the cheapest Tesla, with similar range as the Ioniq, the efficiency is between 16 and 21 on highway. Meaning bewtween 4.6c and 6.0c per km.

As an extreme example, a Tesla M3 SR+ in mild weather in city driving does 10.4kWh/100km, which means 3.0c per km.

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

Amazing, specially at current prices.   EVs are more efficient and running costs are lower than my small 125cc motorbike (3.2L per 100 km).

Going to look at a few bikes tomorrow, e.g. a 500cc model. This is 4.6 to 3.9L / 100Km.

4L per 100km, is 1L per 25KM. At current rates, 2 Euros or so.

Shame there are not much progress in electric motorbikes yet. I wonder when they will come?