Electric vehicles in Germany - all the ins-and-outs!

660 posts in this topic

In my experience, EV drivers drive slower than they used to in their ICE's to preserve energy.

The rocket effect comes in handy when passing on secondary roads and you see an oncoming car. Works great. Also handy when nobody wants to let you in on the Autobahn. Just zip right in there.

The whole point of Tesla building a car that will 0-100 kph in the sub 4s area is that Elon wanted to out perform a well respected ( in Elons head ) ICE car called the BMW M3, and sell it for less money than an M3. Thus proving that an e-car can be better than an ICE in most peoples head.

Of course its all totally pointless, as very few people are actually going to do this, just like high performance cars such as Ferrari, Lotus, Mclarren etc - People buy them because  its a certain statement of how well they have done in live and other similar factors. Not because they will actually drive in a certain way.

Perhaps someone could tell me what the benefit of a 'charging box' is over a plain charging cable?

I have a connector in the garage which is the EU type 2 connector.

Seems to be all I would need to do is to purchase such as cable as shown in the picture.

Am I missing something here?

Type-2-to-Type-2-EV-charging-cableDuosida-scaled.jpg

33 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Dig more ...

Ha ha, I'll admit, that doesn't look great. :lol:

I won't bother trying to explain what I actually meant. It doesn't really matter.

7 hours ago, Rushrush said:

Been following this off and on for a whille and one aspect of clean energy that is starting to appear on people radar is just how much friggen energy is required to make “clean energy. Picked this up on twitter today

A single Tesla battery weighing 1,000 pounds requires extracting and processing some 500,000 pounds of materials. At this rate, over the next thirty years we will need to mine more mineral ores than humans have extracted over the last 70,000 years.

The whole 🧵is worth reading  .  Electric American pickup trucks require a crazy amount of batteries to run. the idea that Canada and the UK are going to ban ICEs is a pipe dream. I've debated electric but there is no where to plug it in around here, on street parking only. That and we own a trailer and electrics suck for that reason. I considered a hybrid but again same issue, towing.

You realize this thread is from a Trump supporting, climate change denier, anti-refugee anti-vaxxer? lol. Seems legit.

But barring all that nonsense there are so many gross generalizations and inaccuracies that I don't even know where to start.

Suffice it to say that there have been broad EU studies of the impact of lithium ion batteries that take mineral mining into consideration and the upshot is that they still reduce environmental harm compared to combustion vehicles - and this isn't even taking into consideration upcoming battery technologies such as solid state batteries or future lower-impact lithium harvesting opportunities like the Salton Sea.

https://www.spiegel.de/auto/elektroautos-tatsaechlicher-co2-ausstoss-niedriger-als-bisher-angenommen-a-01907849-ede6-4f24-8c3f-89475aadbe69

Furthermore, the greener the power source, the more beneficial EV's.

The infrastructure for reusing old car batteries for energy storage is also being built up.

Just to clarify, from my experience after 3 years:

•  I do at least one big kick per day from standstill, especiall if there is a cocky Audi on the traffic light. AWD and perfect 50-50% weight distribution means amazing control, even on rain
  • Overall, I drive slower and calmer on Autopilot. Jazz radio and autopilot are as good as Port wine with dark chocolate!
  • Around 4s 0-100 is what most people would be comfortable with. Faster than that you get lots of tunnel vision, nausea and pain in your face
  • I suspect most EVs within 5 years will do sub-3.5s, meaning laws will be changed from maximum speed to maximum acceleration. It's just brutal!

On 01/04/2022, 14:10:28, scook17 said:

Perhaps someone could tell me what the benefit of a 'charging box' is over a plain charging cable?

I have a connector in the garage which is the EU type 2 connector.

Seems to be all I would need to do is to purchase such as cable as shown in the picture.

Am I missing something here?

Type-2-to-Type-2-EV-charging-cableDuosida-scaled.jpg

There always has to be a "charging box" of some sort. It can be permanently mounted to the wall or it can be a mobile connector (like a Juice Booster).

Watch this informative video on the topic.

https://youtu.be/RMxB7zA-e4Y

On 01/04/2022, 21:53:11, MikeMelga said:

AWD and perfect 50-50% weight distribution means amazing control, even on rain

Low centre of gravity is also a big win for EVs. Softer ride but stays flatter in the corners. All good.

I found myself become vaguely interested in buying a Tesla 3 last year, but back then the base model was a bit over €40K. Now they're €50K. What happened?

10 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Low centre of gravity is also a big win for EVs. Softer ride but stays flatter in the corners. All good.

I found myself become vaguely interested in buying a Tesla 3 last year, but back then the base model was a bit over €40K. Now they're €50K. What happened?

I've reported it yesterday. Basically demand is crazy, raw materials got more expensive, and they want to push people into buying the model Y from Berlin, and they reserve the Model 3 to the Chinese and American market.

The 40k€ Model 3 was an absolute bargain. Won't come down in price so soon. Perhaps when they move it to giga casting and 4680 batteries.

I have been driving an early generation EV (eGolf) for about 40k. There is quite a lot of nonsense on here about mining minerals and the like no doubt sponsored by the OPEC cartel. Because as we all know the constant extraction of billions of barrels of oil and transport globally of it in tankers powered by crude oil is totally without impact to the earth climate and environment… Furthermore the batteries will be recycled at some point, I tried recycling the diesel I burned in my wife’s car last week but found it somewhat difficult to pick up enough of the particles to make some new fuel.. 

what also seems to be omitted is the fact that EVs put 0 pollution into the local environment where they drive. As a cyclist as well I notice this daily as the mask is full of soot (still sadly never reusable as a fuel) 

anyway back to the car,  it is not easy to do long distance without planning. A trip to the UK is possible (950 km) you will need to allow 3-4 hours extra in time over an ICE - never bothered me as you need a whole day to travel with ferry an all so the extra hours are no big deal. 

overall I love the car it is quick ( acceleration) and doesn’t look like an EV. I can only recommend it. 

"More BEVs were registered last month than during the whole of 2019." (...in the UK)

A record 64,165 BEVs were registered in March. That is up 78.7% on the same month in 2021, taking a 16.1% market share...

...The Tesla (TSLA) Model Y was the most popular new car in the UK in March, with 6,464 units sold, followed by the Tesla Model 3 with 6,457 units driving out of forecourts.

https://news.yahoo.com/uk-new-car-sales-crash-as-cost-of-living-bites-smmt-ev-120140592.html

On 04/04/2022, 12:34:57, VOV509V said:

overall I love the car it is quick ( acceleration) and doesn’t look like an EV. I can only recommend it.

Most EVs looks ridiculous so you won't buy them.  I'm looking at you, BMW i3. 

This is fortunately changing, but it's been slow going. 

13 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

Most EVs looks ridiculous so you won't buy them.  I'm looking at you, BMW i3. 

This is fortunately changing, but it's been slow going. 

Friend of mine, retired guy, bought a Smart EQ2 last week. Doesn't look geeky. A fun, city car. For him, most of his trips within it's relatively tiny range.

There is a huge range now:

https://ev-database.de/vergleich/guenstige-elektroautos-jetzt-erhaeltlich#sort:path~type~order=.price~number~asc|range-slider-range:prev~next=10~1000|range-slider-eff:prev~next=100~300|range-slider-acceleration:prev~next=2~23|range-slider-fastcharge:prev~next=0~1500|range-slider-towweight:prev~next=0~2500|range-slider-topspeed:prev~next=110~450|paging:currentPage=0|paging:number=9

Anyone know if the environmental bonus includes or excludes MWST? There are two levels, 40K and 60K Euros. Cars price near/around either level, with accessories often just exceed the level. Just trying to understand the numbers. Thanks.

34 minutes ago, scook17 said:

Anyone know if the environmental bonus includes or excludes MWST? There are two levels, 40K and 60K Euros. Cars price near/around either level, with accessories often just exceed the level. Just trying to understand the numbers. Thanks.

1. For a non-hybrid EV with a base price under €40k registered before January 1st 2023, you receive €6000 for the Innovationsprämie after you apply for it. Otherwise an EV with a base price in the range of €40k to 65k will get you €5000. No MwSt.

There is no word yet from the government about extending the Innovationsprämie past 2022. For example, although I ordered my Cupra Born in January if it's delivered in January 2023, I won't get anything - well, unless they modify/extend the deadline.

2. The Umweltbonus is subtracted in the sale price by the dealer/manufacturer. It's €3000 / €2500 respectively for the above-mentioned price classes. MwSt. is added on, so you get €3570 or €2975 taken off at the time of sale. This is valid until 2025

41 minutes ago, scook17 said:

Is this paid every year?

Yes, up to €350/year until 2030.

Check out my first posts in this thread for more info.

The VW ID.3, ID.4, ID.5, Cupra Born and forthcoming Buzz van will soon be getting some interesting "autopilot" features:

- automatic lane change when signalling at 90km/h or higher

- automatic lane positioning without any lane markers (or lane ping-pong) using swarm data. You can even nudge to the side in tight construction areas and it will stay further over.

- automated parking to get in and out of specific memorized parking spots, even 50-100m away

Stop signs and traffic light recognition is currently in the works for one of the next updates.

Obviously still behind Tesla but slowly making progress.

Hey @MikeMelga - you mentioned before that Tesla recognizes speed limits signs just fine. So what's your take regarding Tesla's autopilot hardware AP3 supposedly recognizing but totally ignoring said signs on the Autobahn?

Zurzeit gibt es aber noch immer die Einschränkung, dass die Schildererkennung beim Tesla in Europa nur außerhalb von Autobahnen funktioniert. Das sorgt immer wieder für Missverständnisse. Auf den Autobahnen werden nach wie vor die (meistens falschen) Geschwindigkeiten aus dem Kartenmaterial des Navigationssystems verwendet. Deshalb passt das Fahrzeug auf der Autobahn seine Geschwindigkeit auch nicht automatisch an.

https://teslawissen.ch/tesla-verkehrszeichenerkennung/

And stuff like this in various forums:

Die Schildererkennung des Tesla ist auf der Autobahn derzeit unbrauchbar. (= der Tesla hat eine Schildererkennung, nutzt sie auf der AB aber nicht, daher kann ich sie dort nicht gebrauchen.)

interesting "autopilot" features like lane change and  recognition  / use of speed signs have been on Mercedes ICE cars for at least 5 years

Or cannot be said here as its an EV thread only ? 

Just saying