Electric vehicles in Germany - all the ins-and-outs!

641 posts in this topic

And this

Processing rare earth elements, or REEs, is a deadly and dirty business. In order to extract the ore from the radioactive materials around it, carcinogenic toxins like sulfates, ammonia and hydrochloric acid must be used. It’s hard to even fathom how toxic this process is. Processing one ton of rare earths produces 2,000 tons of toxic waste; Baotou's rare earths enterprises produce 10m tons of wastewater per year. (Mostly in China and Africa) 

https://khmezek.substack.com/p/the-magic-of-rare-earth-metals-and?s=w

the only advantage I can see to electric is the lack of fumes, clean skies would be very nice.

1 hour ago, Rushrush said:

A single Tesla battery weighing 1,000 pounds

Do Tesla batteries really weigh nearly a 1/2 ton (metric), how much does the complete car weigh? Serious question I was not aware of how heavy the batteries are.

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

Do Tesla batteries really weigh nearly a 1/2 ton (metric), how much does the complete car weigh? Serious question I was not aware of how heavy the batteries are.

Depends on model. Mine has a 74kWh and the whole car weights 1900kg. I think the battery weights around 700kg.

The smaller tesla weights around 1600kg and the battery is around 500kg.

This is lightweight in EV world! For example the i4, with similat battery size, weights 2.5T!

This is a big issue, because despite being efficient, heavy EVs need very large tires, brakes, steering system, ..., making them expensive to buy and maintain.

The new 4680 battery technology +structural pack should reduce the weight per kWh by 20% or more.

33 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Depends on model. Mine has a 74kWh and the whole car weights 1900kg. I think the battery weights around 700kg.

The smaller tesla weights around 1600kg and the battery is around 500kg.

Wow, 700 kg!

My former manager bought a new Lotus Elise in 1999 after the company listed on the stock market. Total weight was less than 800 kg 👻.

5 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Wow, 700 kg!

My former manager bought a new Lotus Elise in 1999 after the company listed on the stock market. Total weight was less than 800 kg 👻.

Ok, but the Tesla will accelerate faster even with all that extra weight, and may well handle just as well

10 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Ok, but the Tesla will accelerate faster even with all that extra weight, and may well handle just as well

And a halfway decent motorcycle weighing less than 250 kg will piss over both of them.:)

Really though a near 2 ton car is very heavy and as mentioned tyres and brakes then can be an issue. Interesting, thanks for the info.

I wonder if the EVs high torque will start shredding our roads once they become ubiquitous. I can imagine all our junctions and other stop and go areas will be in need of constant repair unless they engineer some super stable construction or material. Any road/asphalt engineers here?

Excuse me while I revisit the speed limits for the IG-L in Austria. Just wanted to add a link.

Currently trying to find out if this holds true on that long 100 kmh stretch between the Katschburg and Taueren tunnels.

Tesla batteries-

Model 3 Standard Range
1054 lbs (478 kg)
Model 3 Long Range
1168 lbs (530 kg)
Roadster
992 lbs (450 kg)

8 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

And a halfway decent motorcycle weighing less than 250 kg will piss over both of them.:)

Really though a near 2 ton car is very heavy and as mentioned tyres and brakes then can be an issue. Interesting, thanks for the info.

Oh man, you are so wrong.   Last week I sprinted against a Tesla 3 and had absolutely no game, but it was fun.

Look here a Tesla 3 smoking a Yamaha R6:

https://insideevs.com/news/437198/video-tesla-model-3-race-motorcycle/

And the Tesla S Plaid is much more faster.

23 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Oh man, you are so wrong.   Last week I sprinted against a Tesla 3 and had absolutely no game, but it was fun.

You surprise me the Tesla 3 is spec. 4.2 secs. 0-60 mph while most of the Triumph triples are around 3 secs. and from memory even the old Norton Commando was 3.2 secs.

Having said that after 60 mph the Tesla really flies!;)

https://www.evspecifications.com/en/model-acceleration/445a110

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/triumph-motorcycles-0-60-mph-times/

32 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

You surprise me the Tesla 3 is spec. 4.2 secs. 0-60 mph while most of the Triumph triples are around 3 secs. and from memory even the old Norton Commando was 3.2 secs.

Having said that after 60 mph the Tesla really flies!;)

https://www.evspecifications.com/en/model-acceleration/445a110

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/triumph-motorcycles-0-60-mph-times/

Man, I am a motorbike guy but you are really unfair here just to be "correct".

You chose a heavy version of the Tesla 3 for your comparison and you chose the fastest crop when you were on the bike side.  If you do that then put the Tesla S Plaid vs the Suzuki GSX R1000.   The Tesla wins (2.1s vs 2.35s).

Does anyone actually launch their car like this on a regular basis?
It seems a bit unnecessary to me, especially when a lot of the people doing the launching will have limited experience of handling a very heavy car with those levels of acceleration.

5 minutes ago, Eric7 said:

Does anyone actually launch their car like this on a regular basis?
It seems a bit unnecessary to me, especially when a lot of the people doing the launching will have limited experience of handling a very heavy car with those levels of acceleration.

Most probably never, what's the problem?   A very popular medium size motorbike like the Honda CBR 600 can do 0-100 in 3.3s - 3.5s and very few people actually do it.  Why?  Because you need serious skills to do it and you need to have massive balls.

2 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Most probably never, what's the problem?   A very popular medium size motorbike like the Honda CBR 600 can do 0-100 in 3.3s - 3.5s and very few people actually do it.  Why?  Because you need serious skills to do it and you need to have massive balls.

That's the point - you do need the skills to do it but I get the impression people are buying these cars to race away from the lights at crazy speeds.

Just now, Eric7 said:

That's the point - you do need the skills to do it but I get the impression people are buying these cars to race away from the lights at crazy speeds.

Where?  I've never seen anyone driving an EV like a crazy person.   I am sure if you go and google it you will find one though.   And you still have speed limits, so it does not make sense to launch the car in the city when the speed limit is 50 km/h.

Are you aware that very fast cars existed before the Tesla?   Even my former old and clunky BMW X5 was sub 4s and I never floor it in the city in the 11 years I had it.  What would be the point?

2 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Where?  I've never seen anyone driving an EV like a crazy person.   I am sure if you go and google it you will find one though.   And you still have speed limits, so it does not make sense to launch the car in the city when the speed limit is 50 km/h.

Are you aware that very fast cars existed before the Tesla?   Even my former old and clunky BMW X5 was sub 4s and I never floor it in the city in the 11 years I had it.  What would be the point?

It was the arguing about acceleration speeds... my point was that they aren't really relevant because (exactly as you say), people aren't launching their cars all the time so really, who cares?

Just now, Eric7 said:

who cares?

You, apparently.  And you are the one who said that people are buying the cars to drive them that fast in the city once the light gets green.  Keep digging.

1 minute ago, Krieg said:

You, apparently.  And you are the one who said that people are buying the cars to drive them that fast in the city once the light gets green.  Keep digging.

Try again.

I asked "Does anyone actually launch their car like this on a regular basis?", which clearly says that I don't think they do, which by extension means I don't think it's necessary.
How can you get that so wrong? :huh:

17 minutes ago, Eric7 said:

Dig more ...