Electric vehicles in Germany - all the ins-and-outs!

590 posts in this topic

In our apartment in Schwarzwald we have an 11kW wall box with attached type 2 cable.  This is better than a blue (3.7 kW) or red (11 kW) CEE outlet because

1) more efficient than 1-phase

2) easily lockable (wall box came with a key which turns off electricity)

3) I don't have to futz around with locking up the mobile charger -- all of the other residents/guests have access to the garage

4) we are guaranteed that the car will be charged by morning

5) for a red CEE I would have needed another mobile charger anyway

9 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

What 10% discount? I realized my Tesla insurance was cheaper than expected, I suspected a discount, but is there a law?

I'm paying around 1600€ vollkasko, which is lower than what I expected (2000€). But I do have many other insurances with Allianz.

It's with HUK 24. € 678/yr. with Vollkasko and Haftphlicht for 300 hp. He said their are other goodies like 2 yrs. full price for whole car in case of accident or theft. Also, full battery replacement in case of accident.

Sometimes carrying all of your insurance with one carrier isn't the best thing. He shops around.

Cincy, we will have a lock on our normal outlet.

After bad experiences, I don't use online insurers. This looks way too low for vollkasko. I'm only SF5 or 6, by the way, they didn't take my driving years in Portugal in consideration.

EDIT: made a simulation at Check24 and for my insurance conditions, including Excess fully comprehensive of 300€, my price matches. You probably have a higher SF and higher Excess fully comprehensive.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

After bad experiences, I don't use online insurers.

Ditto.. The problem is that it doesn't help a bit when the other driver uses an online insurer like H24. They have a  very simple policy: do not pay until forced to. I had a legal fight last year with them (won) and another ongoing. In both cases who hit whom was and is undisputed, it's just H24  hoping that the claimant doesn't have the resources and will to sue. It's a business model that ought to be punished. 

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

I'm only SF5 or 6, by the way, they didn't take my driving years in Portugal in consideration.

Himself's reply -

I have SF21 in Liability and SF32 in Vollkasko :-))
The (only) advantage of age ;-)

Of course, I don't know what any of this means. :wacko:

I almost spit my coffee when I saw Himself's SFs ... lol ... 21 and 32 ... at home we are as Mike, SF5 and SF6.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Of course, I don't know what any of this means. :wacko:

Wow, SF21/32??? Means he's a very careful driver, except with new cars and posts! That's why you get such low insurance cost!

Unfortunately I had a minor bump 7 years ago, which dropped my SF number. Before that, I had a small bump in 1997. Still, because they didn't take in account my years of driving in Portugal, I have a low SF number.

We got the estimate from the electrician to put a normal power outlet in our garage space. SHOCK! It's almost 3 times what we were expecting. He is the only one approved by the HV and the breakdown of his estimate did not include any (kickback) admin fees for the HVW for arranging it.

The good news is we will only pay 27 cents for power.

Now we can't imagine what a wall box would cost from SWM.

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

This is a great price, so in the end it'll be worth it.  Public charging is getting very expensive lately.  The convenience is also a huge plus. 

If you like, send me your cost estimate and I can compare it to the one we had done in Baden-Württemberg. 

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

We got the estimate from the electrician to put a normal power outlet in our garage space. SHOCK! It's almost 3 times what we were expecting. He is the only one approved by the HV and the breakdown of his estimate did not include any (kickback) admin fees for the HVW for arranging it.

Now we can't imagine what a wall box would cost from SWM.

Expensive and you have to pay a monthly rental fee. Daylight robbery:

Bereitstellung des Ladepunktes:
einmalig 1.499,00 €

ggf. Aufschlag für Sonderausführungen je Ladepunkt: 1.299 € 1)

Monatliche Nutzungspauschale:
45,00 € pro Monat

Bezug von M-Ladestrom Plus:
33,7 Cent pro kWh 

https://www.swm.de/elektromobilitaet/privat-laden/preise

No, we will have spent it tanking with diesel :lol:

No choice in our case - there wasn't an EV equivalent at the time and we couldn't have afforded it anyway. Now, yes, but hey ho. It has been interesting reading your EV story.

One more plus. Himself said that when we drive south through Austria on our normal route, we can go 130 km. in those IGL 100 km. stretches with our EV. There is a lot around Salzburg.

If anyone knows different, please let me know.

On 24/03/2022, 16:34:22, fraufruit said:

One more plus. Himself said that when we drive south through Austria on our normal route, we can go 130 km. in those IGL 100 km. stretches with our EV. There is a lot around Salzburg.

If anyone knows different, please let me know.

This is true, but in practice I find that you'll be blocked by people going 100 in the passing lane.  Not to mention it's kind of dangerous going 130 when everyone expects you to be going 100.  One more thing: Not all the 100 zones are actually IG-L, so be careful. 

Thanks. We know the IGL signs. We've gone 130 before with no problems passing people. :ph34r: 

We know where the radars are.

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

Volkswagen to recall more than 100,000 cars on fire risk

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/volkswagen-recall-more-100-000-130212238.html

There is a risk of fire in vehicles that connect a conventional combustion engine to an electric drive and are charged through a socket due to an insufficiently insulated high-voltage battery, added the spokesperson on Thursday.

Good thing this is the all-electric thread :D

Been following this off and on for a whille and one aspect of clean energy that is starting to appear on people radar is just how much friggen energy is required to make “clean energy. Picked this up on twitter today

A single Tesla battery weighing 1,000 pounds requires extracting and processing some 500,000 pounds of materials. At this rate, over the next thirty years we will need to mine more mineral ores than humans have extracted over the last 70,000 years.

The whole 🧵is worth reading  .  Electric American pickup trucks require a crazy amount of batteries to run. the idea that Canada and the UK are going to ban ICEs is a pipe dream. I've debated electric but there is no where to plug it in around here, on street parking only. That and we own a trailer and electrics suck for that reason. I considered a hybrid but again same issue, towing.