Electric vehicles in Germany - all the ins-and-outs!

590 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Metall said:

A story about multiple garage fires (in Munich alone) "caused" by electric car is causing uproar in various HOAs/Eigentümergemeinschaften I know.

Gotta link?

No, the story was brought up at great length in an HOA meeting *by the Hausverwaltung* I attended as someone's proxy. Several owners claimed they knew were it happened.  The owners really dug into that and decided to refuse electrical outlets in the garage.

Edit: I think I found it:

https://www.tz.de/muenchen/stadt/milbertshofen-am-hart-ort43344/muenchen-brand-garage-evakuierung-polizei-ermittlungen-zr-90872242.html

And public parking in two small Bavarian towns does not let electric cars in, even though ADAC says it's bullshit:

https://www.focus.de/auto/ratgeber/sicherheit/wegen-brandgefahr-erste-stadt-sperrt-tiefgarage-fuer-elektroautos_id_12982445.html

1 hour ago, Metall said:

Several owners claimed they knew were it happened.

So one fire involving an electric scooter and most likely an ICE car.

14 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

So scratch repair € 800. :D

Nah, it's plastic and won't rust.

I told him to wrap the whole car.

That reminds me when my father drove our brand new Range Rover (I was a Teenager at the time) into a Tiefgarage too low for the car on his first day. I'm still not sure whether the crraacckk we heard was the car scratching the ceiling or my father's soul crying :ph34r:

15 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

So one fire involving an electric scooter and most likely an ICE car.

I didn't say it was reasonable or even rational, but that currently owners and Hausverwaltungen are pretty nuts about this topic.

Just now, Metall said:

I didn't say it was reasonable or even rational, but that currently owners and Hausverwaltungen are pretty nuts about this topic.

Seems like someone would have called out the disinformation at the meeting but I suppose the owners don't have EV's, believe everything or are too jealous for others to have them.

I don't think they can forbid it in the near future.

5 hours ago, Metall said:

... in an HOA meeting ... I attended as someone's proxy. ...

well you're a fucking saint. :)

8 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Seems like someone would have called out the disinformation at the meeting but I suppose the owners don't have EV's, believe everything or are too jealous for others to have them.

I don't think they can forbid it in the near future.

At the meeting, the Hausverwaltung informed the owners that per German law they can be forced to supply electrical outlets in the garage to charge electric cars etc.
Then they told the horror stories of battery fires... and recommended that the owners delay and refuse installing said outlets for as long as possible.
They are doing that in every property they are handling.

It was weird.

OK. Now I see how it went down.

HVW does have to allow owners to put in chargers but I don't think the law extends to renters. ADAC has all the latest info.

Thank you for that, Cincy.

We are not allowed to install a wallbox, only a normal outlet.

Renters come and go. I guess our HVW can get more money for our parking place if we move out since it will already have electricity (that we paid for).

38 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

We are not allowed to install a wallbox, only a normal outlet.

Don't worry, it's enough. All new EV owners think they need one (myself included) but reality is we don't.

My FIL was convinced to buy one (without asking my opinion), then I told him it was stupid, he wouldn't listen, then eventually he realized he doesn't even have the necessary electrical installation to take any advantage of it. Then he returned it.

In 3 years of ownership, with many long trips in between, I never had a situation where a wallbox would make a difference. I get back 20-35% at night, which is much more than required for commutes. And for long trips, I just make sure it can hit 100% by charging to 90% on the nights before. Simple.

Worst case, I leave home with 50%, stop mid-way and in a few minutes get back what is required.

Himself was sorting out the insurance on our EV. He carried over what was left on the old car so it wasn't much. Today, he realized they didn't give him the 10% EV  discount, emailed and they already handled it.

What 10% discount? I realized my Tesla insurance was cheaper than expected, I suspected a discount, but is there a law?

I'm paying around 1600€ vollkasko, which is lower than what I expected (2000€). But I do have many other insurances with Allianz.