Living expenses in Regensburg

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone... I have been offered a job in Regensburg with a brutto of about € 4500 per month (13 months pay) + € 2500 as a one-time payment for relocation + € 2000 - 4000 per year for on-site machine installation.

Would this be enough for a family of 3? My Girlfriend is a full-time stay at home mom (speaks absolutely no German) and we do not intend to touch our baby's kindergeld.

At the moment we live in Thuringia and € 4000 is just about enough every month. 

well, you're living "on the limit" now, and the move to Regensburg would not improve your situation. You'd still be living "on the limit".

You can play with the numbers here:

https://www.financescout24.de/wissen/studien/lebenshaltungskosten

Children tend to become more expensive as they age - so, in view of a "relaxed" future, I'd negotiate a higher pay - maybe around 4.800,- € brutto monthly. Starting a new job usually is the best time to get ahead, especially now that everybody is looking for skilled workers.

What is possible, of course, depends on your job title and the company. Do your research first and let them know, you know your worth.

Thuringia is relatively cheap, so perhaps check your expenses first. €4000 gross is ca. €2550 net with tax class I. What warm rent do you pay?

In Bavaria you have Familiengeld which is €250 for a child from 13th to 36th months of age. This is on top of the Kindergeld.

Getting married also saves you a good amount, especially if the wife is not working.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Thuringia is relatively cheap, so perhaps check your expenses first. €4000 gross is ca. €2550 net with tax class I. What warm rent do you pay?

Yes it is ~ € 2500 net. I pay € 650 (Rent + Electricity + Gas + Internet) for 50m2 apartment but with the baby growing we would need a bigger apartment

Getting married also saves you a good amount, especially if the wife is not working.

It is taking forever , neither me nor my gf are Germans 

If you roughly pay 25% of your net income on warm rent, you should really be able to make a living with wife and baby. Don’t get your comment “is just enough”.

51 minutes ago, sanjay050284 said:

It is taking forever , neither me nor my gf are Germans 

Until then, lower your taxable income by the Grundfreibetrag (e.g. 9744€ in 2021) because you are supporting her.

This will mean about 3,000€ of reimbursed taxes per year.

--> do tax returns for all years that are still open (2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021) and in each, also fill in "Anlage Unterhalt": https://www.finanzamt.bayern.de/Informationen/Formulare/Steuererklaerung/Einkommensteuer/2021/

For example, in the Anlage Unterhalt 2021:

620138d2e52eb_2022-02-0716_20_32-Formula

page 2:

62013dd62a0e3_2022-02-0716_40_43-Formula

If you roughly pay 25% of your net income on warm rent, you should really be able to make a living with wife and baby. Don’t get your comment “is just enough”.

My gf had lived outside EU for so long that we have to pay from our pocket ~ € 207 per month, and the expenses come with having a child. Beginning of the pandemic, gf got stuck in Brazil and the baby was born there. It was a lot of expenses for hospital, renting an apartment for her etc. We are still repaying the loans bit by bit