Wasp nest in hof - removal & prevention

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

In the fall we had a wasp nest in the Hof & couldn't open the windows on that side of the house for 2 months (I am highly allergic to bees).

Do you have a recommendation for someone in Heidelberg / Mannheim area who can remove the empty nest before it is populated again in the spring (it is already getting warm...)  & also fill in any nooks and crannies in the brick wall so the wasps don't have a convenient place to set up a new home?

I asked my landlady (it's a rented house) but she didn't know who to call.

Thanks!

Wasps don't use the old nests - they dry out and turn to like a paper.  They will seek out any new nice warm places near the old one though and may well use the exact same place if you clear the old one.

I just googled

"Wespennest entfernen Mannheim" and received dozens of offers.

Can't say anything about their quality as I live at the other end of DE.

Kammerjäger / Schädlingsbekämpfung are also useful keywords.

Does your local Rathaus have an residents info hotline?

I had a narrow escape from doing something illegal.  Back in my home country, when we find a wasp nest we used to burn it. Too dangerous for children and pets. Two guys are needed , one carrying a huge torch from dried coconut leaves to burn the nest , other with a small torch to protect the first one from still flight worthy wasps. An adrenaline game with chance for severe pain. 

Here I was too confused , the nest was attached to the dachstuhl , so I could not set it on fire :D.  I called the land lady and she told me that I am talking about a crime which will cost me up to  50k euros. 

She sent a lady who was a professional , and it was nice to watch her work with all those protective suits.  

Now I am enlightened. Naturschutz law or something. Some time ago I wanted to collect some butterfly cocoon to do a project with my then 4 year old daughter. Before doing so because of wasp experience I googled it and found out that I am not allowed to collect the cocoons. 

Luckily her kita took it up and did it with help from zentrum fuer Natur und umwelt

29 minutes ago, jubinjohn said:

Now I am enlightened. Naturschutz law or something.

Think setting the roof on fire might be problematic too.

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

Wasps are protected here.  

If stores carry wasp-killing spray are they breaking the law by selling it or just the consumer for using it?

1 minute ago, catjones said:

If stores carry wasp-killing spray are they breaking the law by selling it or just the consumer for using it?

You can apply for permission to kill a problematic wasp nest.   Of course people do not bother. 

23 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Think setting the roof on fire might be problematic too.

That was the only reason which prevented me from killing the wasps and calling the house owner for advice.  From her only i came to know about Naturschutz law. 

Hi, 

I know that wasps are protected here - I found out when the problem started in the fall.

Unfortunately my landlady was no help in recommending anyone who could deal with it. 

Didn't even think of checking with the Rathaus or the firefighters - I'll do that if the wasps come back but I would rather prevent them from building another nest in the first place if possible. 

I'll check out google for "Wespennest entfernen" and Kammerjäger / Schädlingsbekämpfung as suggested - thanks!

Actually, your landlady ist responsible for removing wasp nests and she also has to pay for it. 

https://www.hausundgrund-verband.de/aktuelles/einzelansicht/wespennest-an-der-mietwohnung-was-ist-zu-tun-4660/#:~:text=%E2%80%9EGrunds%C3%A4tzlich%20ist%20der%20Vermieter%20daf%C3%BCr,ist%20keine%20regelm%C3%A4%C3%9Fig%20anfallende%20Aufgabe.

„Grundsätzlich ist der Vermieter dafür verantwortlich, ein Wespennest entfernen zu lassen“, erklärt Konrad Adenauer. Der Präsident von Haus & Grund Rheinland Westfalen ergänzt: „Das Entfernen von Wespennestern ist keine regelmäßig anfallende Aufgabe. Deswegen können Vermieter die Kosten nicht als Betriebskosten auf den Mieter umlegen.“ Zu rechnen ist mit Ausgaben von rund 150 Euro inklusive Anfahrt.

"Basically, the landlord is responsible for having a wasp nest removed," explains Konrad Adenauer. The President of Haus & Grund Rheinland Westfalen adds: "Removing wasps' nests is not a regular task. That's why landlords cannot pass the costs on to tenants as operating costs." Expenditures of around 150 euros including travel are to be expected. 

deepl.com/translator