Selling a car when you can't drive.

14 posts in this topic

So this one might sound strange, but I have a quandary.

I can't drive, and my wife is unlikely to ever drive again, but parked outside the house is a car.

It was working perfectly when we last used it in August last year, but it's sat idle by the side of the road since then.

I think I need to sell it before the TüV inspection is due in April because I see no point in paying for an inspection on a car I can't use.

It's a 12 year old WV Touran Diesel but it's fairly low mileage and has a full service history. 

I don't really care about the 'best price' but I don't have the time or energy to deal with random people coming to the door.

So I need some advice on the best way to get this thing sold.

I've considered just calling the dealer where we bought the car (who has also done all the servicing on it) and asking him to make us an offer.

I've also considered wirkaufendeinauto or similar, but as far as I can tell I need to drive it to them to get the final offer and payment. I guess I could get my sister-in-law to drive the car, but if they did, how does the insurance work, are they allowed to drive it?

Any other ideas on how I can get this thing sold for a reasonable price with absolutely minimum effort? (and yes I will include selling that to someone here if they wanna come and get it :-) )

I have sold through wirkaufendeinauto.de and yes, you have to bring it to them.  You would have to figure out if your insurance covers other drivers than yourself and your wife.  If it doesn't, you could call the insurance and ask them to change it as of now, it will raise the price of it but you cancel it anyway when you sell the car. 

You could simply advertise it on autoscout24.de, mobile.de, or similar and have potential buyers come to your place. If they want to test-drive, you need insurance, of course.

He doesn't want random people turning up at his house, hence the question.

The dealer you bought it from is probably at least worth a call - they might have a plan - at least they know you and your wife and the car.

11 minutes ago, LeonG said:

You would have to figure out if your insurance covers other drivers than yourself and your wife.  If it doesn't, you could call the insurance and ask them to change it as of now

German insurance seems often to be based on the car being insured for any old bod, or at least that's what we have found. We called to add kid#3 to the policy, and they were a bit confused and said it doesn't matter who is driving, the car is insured (presumably not a joy rider?). Again, you'd have to call and ask, but then the SIL driving it to a Vermittler would be an easy-ish possibility.

Well, if it has been stood for 6 months the battery is almost certainly dead, so that will probably need replacing. Try asking a neighbour to jump start and then leave it to idle for 20 minutes to see whether it still takes a charge. 

Provided the vehicle can start, stick it on  Auto schnell verkaufen – Direkt-Verkauf von AutoScout24 and then local trade buyers will contact you with a price. Then, ask a friend to drive the car to the local dealer offering the best price.

I just sold my car through wiveda.de 

I thought they had very good customer service and they could advise you the best course of action in your situation. 

21 minutes ago, kiplette said:

German insurance seems often to be based on the car being insured for any old bod, or at least that's what we have found. We called to add kid#3 to the policy, and they were a bit confused and said it doesn't matter who is driving, the car is insured (presumably not a joy rider?). Again, you'd have to call and ask, but then the SIL driving it to a Vermittler would be an easy-ish possibility.

I've had insurance in the past where they asked me who's driving the car and said it would be cheaper for me if it's just me.  My current insurance doesn't care but sometimes they have a clause about age of the driver.  Still, it would not be a big deal to call the insurance and ask.

I just sent you a PM. Might know someone in Hamburg who might interested and lives close enough to be able to come by if he wants to take it. Granted, this would a be a random person for you, so feel free to reject the idea :)

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

I have sold through wirkaufendeinauto.de and yes, you have to bring it to them.  You would have to figure out if your insurance covers other drivers than yourself and your wife.  If it doesn't, you could call the insurance and ask them to change it as of now, it will raise the price of it but you cancel it anyway when you sell the car. 

I know a few people that sold through that website and it’s quite quick and easy. Just make an appointment online and bring the car to them, usually locally.  My experience wasn’t great though my car was a RHD. Make sure you take all the required documents with you for the appointment. When I went, this wasn’t made very clear beforehand.

You get an estimated price online though be prepared for the actual price to be lower. Still worth it for a quick sale and to avoid tyre kickers coming to your home. 

I also recently saw a similar option on mobile.de. Click on the option…something like ‘what is my car worth’, enter all data required and then you get directed to making an appointment at a local dealer.  I’m not sure if they buy or just value. 

I don’t think that most DE insurance companies charge much or anything if you need someone else to drive your car…..not like in the UK. We weren’t charged more for my daughter to drive my car just after she passed her driving test. Nor her boyfriend. 

All the very best.

I know you guys like an update, and a couple of you reached out with offers and/or questions about the car, so here is the update.

I sold the car this morning to wirkaufendeinauto.

I did the whole thing with the website and the pictures last week and they offered me a good price for it, so I got my sister in law to drive me there today and make the sale.

When I got there they took it away for an inspection and 15 minutes later we agreed a sale at the same price as the emailed offer.

I was going through the paperwork this morning, and I found the original bill-of-sale, we bought the car for €10k and sold it 11 years later for €8100, I'm happy enough with that.

They will take care of the deregistration etc so all done, no stress.

Must say I recommend them.

7 minutes ago, pappnase said:

we bought the car for €10k and sold it 11 years later for €8100, I'm happy enough with that.

Used cars' prices are insane at the moment, good for you.

39 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Used cars' prices are insane at the moment, good for you.

Yes, and they'll continue to be expensive. As long as electrical cars, even used ones, command high prices  due to scarcity and have long delivery times many people will buy an used internal combustion one, even  BMWs or Audis for up to €30,000. It doesn't make sense for a private person to buy a new, non-electrical car, anymore [unless it's in the ultra cheap range] and face a devaluation of over 50% in the first couple years.

10 hours ago, pappnase said:

we bought the car for €10k and sold it 11 years later for €8100,

Sounds like it used to be in East Germany before reunification. Back then, a used car cost more than a new one because it was actually available.