Hospital sends huge bill

57 posts in this topic

On 03/02/2022, 14:49:32, jeba said:

I´d tend to believe TK if they say the hospital claims it wasn´t an emergency. After all, they are a not-for-profit company. I´d contact the hospital for confirmation whether it was or wasn´t declared an emergency by them. If the answer is no, I´d ask them to doublecheck with the doctor who told you that it was.

Not-for-profit does not mean an organisation is correct. Neither does for-profit mean it is automatically wrong. Employees are not necessarily well trained.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

5 hours ago, john g. said:

If Solomongrundy is uptodate with payments, TK are legally WRONG.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

He is not. 

The next time I complain to an insurance company, I will also put " cheerio " at the end!❤️

That would tickle me pink!

( Only jesting, Starshollow!)

3 minutes ago, tor said:

He is not. 

He is not? 

On 2/4/2022, 5:48:09, solomongrundy said:

I did not have my card with me, but only a letter reminding me of my debt. |\This was what the hospital saw.

5 hours ago, john g. said:

in the first post, he said he is behind on payments. 

Yes, but paying off in installments ( if I understand correctly).

" I have some debt that I am paying off with them."

18 hours ago, john g. said:

Verbraucherzentrale Hamburg:

https://www.vzhh.de/themen/gesundheit-patientenschutz/krankenversicherung/wenn-krankenkassen-leistungen-verweigern

John, can you also pay your health insurance in advance? If you are self employed, your income can go up and down quite substantially. Can you pre-pay health insurance costs for next year in the current tax year, or even for years in advance? Can you then build some balance during working years a period where you have little or no income, such as retirement years or when work dries up for some months? I am thinking of private insurance here, rather than being an employee.

20 minutes ago, scook17 said:

John, can you also pay your health insurance in advance? If you are self employed, your income can go up and down quite substantially. Can you pre-pay health insurance costs for next year in the current tax year, or even for years in advance? Can you then build some balance during working years a period where you have little or no income, such as retirement years or when work dries up for some months? I am thinking of private insurance here, rather than being an employee.

with private health insurance that is entirely possible and you'll even get a rebate/discount for pre-payment. Not so sure about public health insurance...

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Private insurance pre-payments are legally possible up to 3 years in advance ( since 2020) but you would need to check with the provider if they would accept that- some would, some wouldn't.

In any case, it would be best to go through the tax-saving benefits with your accountant first!

Like Starshollow, dunno about public insurance. I can only guess a year up front is fine but longer than  that -no idea. You might also end up paying too much if it turns out a flush year is followed by three or four lousy years financially/ business-wise!

I am not sure how quickly public insurers reimburse you for overpayment. They didn't use to at all but I think they do now.😀

8 minutes ago, john g. said:

Like Starshollow, dunno about public insurance.

For students at least, they even demand it for one semester upfront. At least TK does.

13 hours ago, john g. said:

The next time I complain to an insurance company, I will also put " cheerio " at the end!❤️

That would tickle me pink!

( Only jesting, Starshollow!)

Most Germans only know "Cheerio" from "Dinner for one" when one of the "guests" (is it Sir Toby or Mr Winterbottom) roars drunkenly "Cheerio, Sophie, me gal !"

But many, many years ago I fell in love with the movie "World's fastest Indian" where Anthony Hopkins plays the epic role of the Newzealand motorcycle racer Burt Monroe who travelled to the US in the 1960s with his self-improved old trusty 1920' Indian Scout to set up some speed records...  he always uses the "Cheerio", especially when he is over in the United States.  I took my "Cheerio" over from that particular movie and use it ever since ;-)

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

The word " cheerio " sounds so final to my ears! ie you will never hear from me again, dear insurance company! That's why I smiled!😂

Does this mean that as I have a free will installment plan which is what I have as I don t have a steady job, and I have paid towards the debt, I would be covered? The letter said that I could claim the money back from TKK, but I don t have that much money. I have been paying my installments but am behind some of them. If I cover the debt would they then pay the hospital? Or do I have to pay both?

I am doing everything to find a good job but over here it is so hard. 

4 minutes ago, solomongrundy said:

Does this mean that as I have a free will installment plan which is what I have as I don t have a steady job, and I have paid towards the debt, I would be covered? The letter said that I could claim the money back from TKK, but I don t have that much money. I have been paying my installments but am behind some of them. If I cover the debt would they then pay the hospital? Or do I have to pay both?

I am doing everything to find a good job but over here it is so hard. 

You have to talk to TK about this.  Did TK agree to your "free will installment plan"?  My guess is no because free will can also mean zero and if you are behind on payments, how can it be free will?

10 minutes ago, LeonG said:

You have to talk to TK about this.  Did TK agree to your "free will installment plan"?  My guess is no because free will can also mean zero and if you are behind on payments, how can it be free will?

Yes, they agreed. I have been paying it off whenever I got money...

On 2/8/2022, 11:37:30, LeonG said:

TKK has not replied yet. I did not ask the girl there to sign when I gave them my bill though i did ask for a copy. Could they be in cahoots with the hospital and ignore it till the deadline to pay it is past?

On 2/6/2022, 8:14:44, fraufruit said:

If TKK would not pay the debt, it will reach an unsustainable level. We are talking about 1000s of Euros, and with the small freelance jobs I have, I ll not be able to pay it off. The woman at TKK said they d send me a letter, but I have not recieved it. She took the original bill. If somoeone knows what to do in this situation I d be grateful for any help. I repeatedly told the hospital that I was covered only for emergencies,