Hospital sends huge bill

57 posts in this topic

My insurance provider is TKK. I have some debt with them that I am paying off. I am  not financially well off and that s why the debt came about. It dates back to a preiod of unemployment.  I had to be hospitalized for a week for emergency, and TKK covers emergencies in spite of the debt. However now the hospital send me a huge bill claiming that they want me to pay the emergency bill as I only have emergency medical insurance. This was even  though the doctor said that I have to pay nothing as it was an emergency. What are my options?

1 hour ago, solomongrundy said:

My insurance provider is TKK. I have some debt with them that I am paying off. I am  not financially well off and that s why the debt came about. It dates back to a preiod of unemployment.  I had to be hospitalized for a week for emergency, and TKK covers emergencies in spite of the debt. However now the hospital send me a huge bill claiming that TKK declined my emergency bill though the doctor said that I have to pay nothing as it was an emergency. What are my options?

Talk to TK or MDK.  MDK is an organization that can tell the kasse in some cases that they have to pay for something they don't want to pay for.  You can find them here:  Über uns | Medizinischer Dienst Sachsen-Anhalt (md-san.de)

Too late for this one but for the future, if the kasse has blocked your health card, you can switch to another one.  A friend of mine did this after he had agreed on a payment plan with his kasse and was paying his monthly fees as well and they saw fit to block his card anyway and said they would continue to block it until he is completely debt free.  He switched to another kasse to be covered but continued his payment plan with the old kasse to eventually pay it off.

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

I would start by asking TK.

Thanks, I read the letter with a friend, and it says that they want me  to pay the bill and that I can reclaim it later from TKK. However, I clearly explained to them that TKK covered only emergencies

18 minutes ago, solomongrundy said:

Thanks, I read the letter with a friend, and it says that they want me  to pay the bill and that I can reclaim it later from TKK. However, I clearly explained to them that TKK covered only emergencies

Not sure how that relates to my suggestion to ask TK.  Anyway, good luck.

Thanks for the information. TKK says that the hospital claims it was not an emergency though I went in an ambulance and the doctor said it was. They said they will look into the bill. I come from the US. Do insurance companies use any excuse to not pay a bill? I d really be grateful for a few answers

Regards

I´d tend to believe TK if they say the hospital claims it wasn´t an emergency. After all, they are a not-for-profit company. I´d contact the hospital for confirmation whether it was or wasn´t declared an emergency by them. If the answer is no, I´d ask them to doublecheck with the doctor who told you that it was.

I don t have any written confirmation that it was an emergency. They said it was treated as such.  They did not send TKK the bill, but send it directly to me with the line that I could claim it back from TKK. The problem is that I am covered only for emergencies, and I cannot afford the bill at all.

1 minute ago, solomongrundy said:

The problem is that I am covered only for emergencies

I don't get this part, which kind of insurance do you have?

You cannot be kicked out of health insurance in Germany - because of the legal obligation to be insured - Krieg , but you can , if the premiums are not paid , have your cover reduced to emergency level - even with public health insurance eg TK.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

OK, now I understand the first post properly.  I didn't know that.  Thanks.

47 minutes ago, john g. said:

You cannot be kicked out of health insurance in Germany - because of the legal obligation to be insured - Krieg , but you can , if the premiums are not paid , have your cover reduced to emergency level - even with public health insurance eg TK.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Does this mean that TK is obliged to pay even if the hospital sends a bill to me? I am covered for emergencies.

You will need written proof from somewhere it was an emergency. Then TK should pay.

I guess the Rettungsdienste treat calls as emergencies, until they know they are not emergencies.

I think the gesetzliche Krankenversicherung is quite good, better than in some other countries (UK, US?)

3 hours ago, solomongrundy said:

I come from the US. Do insurance companies use any excuse to not pay a bill?

They definitely do in the U.S. I've never experienced that here with my public insurance.

37 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

They definitely do in the U.S. I've never experienced that here with my public insurance.

My Nicole needed a special check up this week with a special machine. Not covered by TK.

Had to pay privately - 450 euros. 

No questions about the test here, please. Only by PM for those I know through PM on here already if you really need to know.

2 hours ago, john g. said:

You will need written proof from somewhere it was an emergency. Then TK should pay.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised resuscitation. Contact me.

I often wonder what an "emergency" means.    Is it just resuscitation?  Surely many things treated early and cheaply, would end up costing them a huge amount if left untreated.

For me, " emergency " would be unexpected, sudden and with possibly dangerous consequences if not treated quickly.