Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Driving through yellow light but still got flashed

20 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I had a weird situation today. I was driving and crossing the signal when the traffic light was yellow.

The speed as around 40 km/hr. It was 60 km/hr zone.

To my surprise, i got flashed. I double checked with my fellow passenger and they also confirmed it was yellow. However not sure why i got flashed.

I was not exceeding the speed limit nor crossing on red light. What should I do in case I get fine. 

Thanks.

Ask to see a copy of the photo to make sure it wasn't another car that jumped the light. You can also check for online sites that can help in these type of circumstances if you think you have been falsely flashed e.g. https://www.geblitzt.de/

23 minutes ago, KNRW said:

Hi All,

I had a weird situation today. I was driving and crossing the signal when the traffic light was yellow.

The speed as around 40 km/hr. It was 60 km/hr zone.

To my surprise, i got flashed. I double checked with my fellow passenger and they also confirmed it was yellow. However not sure why i got flashed.

I was not exceeding the speed limit nor crossing on red light. What should I do in case I get fine. 

Thanks.

Wait for the fine to arrive, which it might never do.  It may not have been you, or it may be a faulty blitzer.  Just wait and if the fine comes, then you can argue it. Don't worry about it until there's something to worry about.

Well, to be pedantic, the yellow light means STOP.

Unless it is unsafe to do so.

Here the ADAC explanation : 

Can you still drive quickly through the traffic light when the light is yellow?

No. When the light is yellow, you must wait for the next signal before crossing. The approaching driver, who is able to stop before the traffic light without endangering the following drivers, must bring his vehicle to a stop.

A yellow light violation can be punished with a warning fine of 10 €.

Anyone who trusts that the vehicle in front will continue to drive when the light turns yellow and then rear-ends the vehicle is fully liable. Before braking, the driver in front does not have to make sure that the driver behind can also brake in time. It is the responsibility of the person behind to maintain a sufficient safety distance. The only exception is if the driver in front brakes so abruptly that the vehicle only comes to a halt in the intersection. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

All about traffic lights..

The link includes a film (sorry, also in German).

There you find an explanation (amongst other things) why

a red-light offense has two flashes (one proving you crossed the line and one to show you continued into the crossing).

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

From what I remember it has to flash twice, before you get a fine, I have flashed once several times in the last years, but no fine came.

Was it those lights on Kreillerstr. by any chance? A few years ago I was waiting at a red light there and got continuously blitzed, neither I or the car in the other lane were moving or over the line, defective I guess, it can happen, I never heard any more about it.

One should not forget the situations when one has to cross the stopping line to allow emergency vehicles (police, ambulance) to pass. 

No, not there recently 

Maybe 25 years ago, I got done twice at the junction of the krillerstr and Baumkirchner Str, at the fixed location camera there, I was photographed twice on a very dark amber. 

I had to attend one of those re education camps, where they teach that you should stop on amber, and if there is a sign saying 50kph, then you should not go faster than 50 kph.  --- plus lots of other tips. Because they figure, I was speeding etc, not because I was not paying attention, but because I did not understand what I was supposed to do. Basically they waste 2 hours of your life, as another deterrent not to break the driving laws.

I have, over the years learned where the fixed locations are, and try to pay extra special attention to my driving in those areas.

More recently I have been photographed, its been at a non-fixed position, as said, if you only see one flash, your not going to get a ticket

48 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

One should not forget the situations when one has to cross the stopping line to allow emergency vehicles (police, ambulance) to pass. 

This too is explained in the ADAC link.

14 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I only got flashed once by a stunning blonde on the pavement while driving by 👻.

In a couple of streets in Hamburg this happens every day...

51 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Maybe 25 years ago, I got done twice at the junction of the krillerstr and Baumkirchner Str, at the fixed location camera there, I was photographed twice on a very dark amber. 

Yes that was the one, couldn't remember the name of the other street. I used to regularly get blitzed, speeding, mostly out of town by fixed camera or temp unmanned ones when riding a motorbike but no front number plate no fine!:D

They do have a 2 police man approach, now, the first police man checks your speed, and calls another guy, 500m down the road and tells the second police man to pull you over and gives you the bad news.

This thread reminds me of that police guy who was driving outside his working hours and he passed a police car doing speed control and was flashed, he checked the speed and thought he was not over the speed limit, so he circled back and drove again exactly at the speed limit and he was flashed again, he got mad and circled again and drove way below the speed limit and he was flashed again, he was extremely angry and drove away thinking something must be wrong with the radar and he will take care of the situation later.   Some weeks later he received three fines for not wearing his seatbelt.

I will take my coat

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

This thread reminds me of that police guy who was driving outside his working hours and he passed a police car doing speed control and was flashed, he checked the speed and thought he was not over the speed limit, so he circled back and drove again exactly at the speed limit and he was flashed again, he got mad and circled again and drove way below the speed limit and he was flashed again, he was extremely hi angry and drove away thinking something must be wrong with the radar and he will take care of the situation later.   Some weeks later he received three fines for not wearing his seatbelt.

I will take my coat

The police know well enough that people who commit one offense oftentimes commit others. They stop someone for not wearing a seat belt and then check their documents, first-aid kit etc. Why, they even stop cyclists who break the law, thus earning points on their driving licences!

My dog now enjoys peeing on the large standing column that holds the camera/flasher on our street, to which he is generally cheered on by those walking past. :lol:

2 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

My dog now enjoys peeing on the large standing column that holds the camera/flasher on our street, to which he is generally cheered on by those walking past. :lol:

Sorry BethAnnBitt but I can't agree. I live on the same street and am quite happy to have the speed of all the passing traffic "calmed" (the camera in question is directly over the street from a school too). I suggest weaning doggy off peeing on speed cameras and training him/her to pee on car tyres instead.

Busted!  😬  To be fair,  I actually work at no peeing on buildings, bikes, car tires, ..  But he likes that column lately with a tad of grass at the base. I do agree that it serves a right proper purpose.  I'll retrain him, again.  :D

My puppy Mandy - despite severe warnings of Hausarrest - just loves peeing right outside the front door of the police station, which is just around the corner from the office!🐶😂😇

( She leaves the car tyres to me!)