Problem with a weird transport company!

39 posts in this topic

I moved within Germany 3 times - mostly with a rental truck and help from a half a dozen friends. That was fun.

I also moved twice internationally - from Germany to the US and then back. We did that with professional moving companies both times. That was not fun at all.

Poor communication, poor management, sloppy work, underestimated cost, delays, broken furniture, and stolen personal valuables.

I don't think I'll have to move internationally again - but if I do, I will not take furniture. I will simply ship a few (self-packed) boxes with personal items - clothing, books, ... to myself at the new address, and buy everything else I need at the new location.

I believe the OP is well out of it and as others have suggested don't pay the 40% cancellation fee, money for nothing unless they actually visited you and did an estimate based on what had to be moved, which is what a serious company would do. I wouldn't mind betting that it is one of those con jobs where they turn up on the moving day but demand extra payment or they will go away and leave you with no chance of getting a replacement to do the move.

2 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

I don't think I'll have to move internationally again - but if I do, I will not take furniture. I will simply ship a few (self-packed) boxes with personal items - clothing, books, ... to myself at the new address, and buy everything else I need at the new location.

I know what you mean but if the furniture delivery times are anything like here in Germany you could well end up having to sit, sleep and eat on the floor.

17 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I know what you mean but if the furniture delivery times are anything like here in Germany you could well end up having to sit, sleep and eat on the floor.

We actually had to do that for two months after our first international move from Germany to the USA. Because we had packed all that stuff, and were waiting on our container to arrive, we didn't buy anything. We slept on air mattresses, ate sitting around a foldable camping dining set. Luckily there are built-in wall cabinets in standard US houses' bedrooms, so we could hang up our clothes.

Depending how much furniture you have, might make sense to dump bulky things (old sofa etc) and get replacements at the new home. What are the insurance implications of getting friends to help?

2 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

What are the insurance implications of getting friends to help?

in my personal experience, that totally depends on the nature of your friendship.

As long as nobody gets seriously hurt, and none of your precious belongings are damaged, your insurance will be no problem.

If you have clumsy friends and/or expensive stuff, you might want to look for help elsewhere.

I recommend not buying Umzugskartons from Baumarkt. Some food shops (l--l) still use disposal boxes for watermelons, the staff tolerated me taking dozens (one at a time!). Robust and stackable.

I should be wary of getting mates to help. Moving big heavy things is quite hazardous, and we know that very many 'accidents' occur at home.

On 24/01/2022, 14:37:42, bobMorane said:

here is the company's website:

https://ah-umzuege.com/

I generally stay away from any company  or garage that starts with a capital A and only has a couple of letters or numbers in their name. Generally, not an established company when the name is chosen merely to appear near the top of an alphabetical list. 

They just want to be the first one in the phone book. Or at least used to. That's how we hired AAA (something like that) for our move years ago and they were great.

4 hours ago, keith2011 said:

I believe the OP is well out of it and as others have suggested don't pay the 40% cancellation fee, money for nothing unless they actually visited you and did an estimate based on what had to be moved, which is what a serious company would do.

We contacted 4-5 transport companies and they all came to the apartment to give us non-binding quotes. This company is almost 2 years old. They said they have a lawyer and will take us to the court if we don't pay that 40%. I asked them several times to go on with the transport. But, they just want to grab the easy money.

What happens if I wait for a court notice to see if they take such measures to get that 40%? How much extra I should pay if I receive such a notice? The 40% penalty itself is about 2000 Euro, 

On 1/24/2022, 3:13:19, bobMorane said:

I signed the contract in their office, which was practically their home. The AGB was not attached to the contract.

I later read their AGB is on their website: https://ah-umzuege.com/

After they told me about the 40% plant on the phone, I asked them to cancel the termination request and do that transport. I wrote them another email. But they refuse to do it anymore and ask for the 40% fee.

What kind of lawyer can give me some advice on such matters?

If they have not given you the AGB while signing the contract I doubt that they apply. They need your agreement for the AGB to be included in the contract. Just to post it online is not enough. Research "wirksame Einbeziehung der Allgemeinen Geschäftsbedingungen" and check if that applies to you.

I would look for a contract lawyer (Vertragsrecht, Zivilrecht).

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

In my personal experience, friends don't ask friends to help them move unless they are in their 20's or so.

I was asked 2 months ago. And I was born in 1957.

They seem very shady, I would not work with them even if they change their mind and offer to move forward (they'll probably rob you). It looks like a scam and that they are trying to extort cash from you. 

This is what I would do (Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, so don't listen to me):

I would draft an email and attach all communication I have had with them so far. In that email, I would state that I canceled directly after signing the contract and then offered to rescind my cancellation, which they did not accept, and that I consider the matter closed. I would also state I will not be paying them anything, and that they should refrain from contacting me. In addition, I would notify them that I am sending a copy of this email via registered mail to the Finanzamt and Verbraucherschutz along with a complaint because I do not think they are a legitimate company - I would also CC the Finanzamt and Verbraucherschutz in the email so they can see I am going to do that (of course, I would actually do it). I would also make clear they must never contact me again, and if they do, I would consider it harassment and report it to the police. Then, if they contacted me again, I would go to the police and let them take it from there.

Of course I'm not sure of the details of your move, but 40% is €2000? That seems like a lot.

We recently got a quote for €1500 to move a 100 sq meter apartment with lots of huge furniture and boxes from one address in Berlin to another). €5000 seems like a lot, but what do I know?

Is there not a cooling-off period where one can back out, two weeks?* Ask the Verbraucherzentrale!

* certainly exists for some contracts, Haustuergeschaefte, door to door selling.

Ok. I made a few more phone calls with this company to find a working solution. They finally agreed to do the transport as planned before. But, their signature is still missing from their contract. They say that they do not need to sign the contract and only our signature is available. I'm not sure if such a contract is legally valid if the companies signature is missing there?

Is there any reason you aren't getting a lawyer involved and persisting with them moving your stuff? I can understand that it's a lot of hassle and maybe you will need to pay another removal firm more money but this firm doesn't sound very reliable or above board.

Are you 100% sure that they will actually turn up and move your stuff or that they will be liable if there are any breakages?

I should be very wary of letting this apparently strange organisation take your furniture and goods! Do you trust them to deliver the stuff, to release it to you without asking for much more money? I should avoid dealing with them, really.

If they have your goods they could have a lot of power over you.

6 hours ago, bobMorane said:

Ok. I made a few more phone calls with this company to find a working solution. They finally agreed to do the transport as planned before. But, their signature is still missing from their contract. They say that they do not need to sign the contract and only our signature is available. I'm not sure if such a contract is legally valid if the companies signature is missing there?

Why do I get the feeling this thread will go on long after your move with this company?