Head of German navy steps down over Ukraine

120 posts in this topic

On 23/01/2022, 10:28:58, yesterday said:

Mikhail Gorbachev, has said, there was not gentlemen's agreement over the boarder country's, and he was a key figure at the time.

Coincidentally, someone on another forum posted this link today:

Declassified documents show security assurances against NATO expansion to Soviet leaders from Baker, Bush, Genscher, Kohl, Gates, Mitterrand, Thatcher, Hurd, Major, and Woerner

"Washington D.C., December 12, 2017 – U.S. Secretary of State James Baker’s famous “not one inch eastward” assurance about NATO expansion in his meeting with Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev on February 9, 1990, was part of a cascade of assurances about Soviet security given by Western leaders to Gorbachev and other Soviet officials throughout the process of German unification in 1990 and on into 1991, according to declassified U.S., Soviet, German, British and French documents posted today by the National Security Archive at George Washington University (http://nsarchive.gwu.edu)."

So that means Russia should be allowed to invade Ukraine and install a Putin loyalist as its head of state? And Putin should be allowed to invade other former East Bloc countries at will?

Talk about showing your true colors...

You'd have been more believable if you stuck with your plague rat bit.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

So that means Russia should be allowed to invade Ukraine and install a Putin loyalist as its head of state? And Putin should be allowed to invade other former East Bloc countries at will?

Talk about showing your true colors...

You'd have been more believable if you stuck with your plague rat bit.

It was a response to someone saying that Gorby claimed there wasn't any agreement. You utter melt.

Putin wouldn't be doing anything now if the US hadn't done it's usual trick of sticking it's nose in where it wasn't needed or wanted.

26 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Should we call him Eric the Red?

:lol:

Your opinion of me is as relevant as that of what I blew out of my nose this morning. B)

4 hours ago, Eric7 said:

Your opinion of me is as relevant as that of what I blew out of my nose this morning. B)

Are you really sure you blew your brains out of your nose this morning?:D

54 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Are you really sure you blew your brains out of your nose this morning?:D

No, it was something green and sticky :mellow:

Don't worry Keith, as a fellow subject of the Crown, your opinion automatically counts for (slightly) more than that of the toxic snot in a jar crew.

5 hours ago, Eric7 said:

It was a response to someone saying that Gorby claimed there wasn't any agreement. You utter melt.

Putin wouldn't be doing anything now if the US hadn't done it's usual trick of sticking it's nose in where it wasn't needed or wanted.

" God created war so that Americans would learn geography."

( Mark Twain )😂

Not yellow and highly dangerous? ( Shark-infested custard!)... 😀

( Gets his coat...)...

6 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Should we call him Eric the Red?

:lol:

My username on various other forums is in fact EricTheRed but not for the reason you are meaning here.

In any case, I can say hand on heart that I would rather spend time with a Red than a God-awful Amurican like yourself.

28 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Definitely your brains then!

Dammit! :angry:

Right Keith, I'm setting off now and will be in Au in 30 minutes.
Where are we doing this?

31 minutes ago, Eric7 said:

Right Keith, I'm setting off now and will be in Au in 30 minutes.

I' doubt it, the Au is a long way from Moscow.:lol:

6 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I' doubt it, the Au is a long way from Moscow.:lol:

Ingolstadt. :ph34r:

Ran out of peanuts, fraufruit! My teeth need a new incentive!😂
PS: isn't it great nobody seems to be a mod on here? Ukraine, Russia, war, peanuts, muffins, Ingolstadt. All cleverly linked in a dastardly plan --- and we get away with it!😂

On 1/26/2022, 10:40:51, Eric7 said:

Coincidentally, someone on another forum posted this link today:

Declassified documents show security assurances against NATO expansion to Soviet leaders from Baker, Bush, Genscher, Kohl, Gates, Mitterrand, Thatcher, Hurd, Major, and Woerner

"Washington D.C., December 12, 2017 – U.S. Secretary of State James Baker’s famous “not one inch eastward” assurance about NATO expansion in his meeting with Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev on February 9, 1990, was part of a cascade of assurances about Soviet security given by Western leaders to Gorbachev and other Soviet officials throughout the process of German unification in 1990 and on into 1991, according to declassified U.S., Soviet, German, British and French documents posted today by the National Security Archive at George Washington University (http://nsarchive.gwu.edu)."

Thanks for producing that Eric

I would say, those promises that were given, were given at a time when Russia was giving up on military projects and the East and the West had a good friendly relationship, Russia wanted to to become more like a wester country at that time. Which I guess everybody thought would continue, then came the  collapse of the USSR and NATO, did not go directly into the border countries. The world looked a lot more peaceful.  

Then came Putin, who wanted to put back in place a new USSR, with a powerful military, the West started to feel more threatened again, and the NATO started to take defensive positions by asking, border countries would they like to join NATO, they did by there own free will, around 2017. Were as Russia just took parts of Ukraine, without letting people decide what they wanted

I agree the promises were broken, from the info posted, however, nothing is forever, its kinda like a couple who get married, go to church and say in the face of god, will will be together till death do us apart. Then somethings change and they split, despite the promises they made. Thats what a promise is, an intension to to something under the current conditions, if the conditions change then so can the promise