Cable / DSL Internet Router - How to cancel and use my own ?

8 posts in this topic

Found a great rate Vodafone Kabel Deutschland via Check24 then here at 2 years ...

Wanted but unfortunately in my area have no other lower cost provider to change to ...

Objective : Router rental is 4,99eur monthly. We'd like to buy one off ebay and use that instead.

Question(s) :

- What is procedure to cancel the Option HomeBox 4,99eur/mo ?.. Found no way in MeinKabel.

- Any consideration or hangups to buy and use own router ?

- Anyone got a Fritzbox 6490 for sale :-?

(ja : next time getting internet will just buy router at the get go.)

Happy 2022 !

I just switched provider. And I also bought our own router, so no longer paying the usual 5eur/month for router rental.

Routers are very expensive, payback time is several years during which it could break or something (tough unlikely), not granted it's a wise choice.

Make sure router is compatible with bandwidth, the new provider probably lists which ones are compatible.

Setup should be super easy, after all it was super easy for me and I'm not techy, just follow instructions

1 hour ago, _only_bob_ said:

Objective : Router rental is 4,99eur monthly. We'd like to buy one off ebay and use that instead.

Why didn't you selected the default free Vodafone box router during order? 

- Any consideration or hangups to buy and use own router ?

- Anyone got a Fritzbox 6490 for sale :-?

Careful with the 2nd hand cable router. Only buy the router which is free for any cable operator. This one can known through device I'd. A used Vodafone branded fritzbox will not work. 

2 hours ago, _only_bob_ said:

Fo

- What is procedure to cancel the Option HomeBox 4,99eur/mo ?.. Found no way in MeinKabel.

I believe you need to write the cancellation letter with 4 week notice.

1 hour ago, vivanco said:

A used Vodafone branded fritzbox will not work. 

Really, why? I see under the options O2, Telekom, 1&1 and many more. However, I did opt to purchase the box rather than get a free one, when I signed up for a DSL speed bump.

With frizbox, all the user does it enter some long series of digits (modem installation code) which somehow is decoded into a user id and password (I presume).

I am guessing you'd need to phone them and get the login details to use a non Fritzbox solution.

Personally I am with vodafone and have been for a long time. Never did like Fritzbox's until they finally allowed you to select the language on the dam thing. Setting one up in German when I first came here and understood zero German was a nightmare.

I had the 6490 and it was a perfectly ok device, but did not support the latest DSL standard (supervectoring), so had to upgrade to the 7530 I have now. Sold my old one on Ebay. Picked it over the 7590 as it did everything I needed and was a much lower power device. I see a second hand 6490 is 120 Euros on Amazon, where as a new 7530 is 175 Euros. So at 5 Euros a month, that's a month shy of 3 years. As I switched in 01.2020, if I had bought my own kit, would still be another year to go. But I was curious so looked at the original bill and saw I paid 95 Euros for the box as part of upgrading the DSL speed, so looks like I broke even already.

Maybe someone offers a deal on hardware when you swap providers. Even if you pay some small additional fee each month, unless you pick up a box for next to nothing, it may work out better. I see my 7530 box costs 90+ Euros on ebay used.

Why didn't you selected the default free Vodafone box router during order? 

Simply wasn't available during that original purchase. But yes we did get it for free some months ago when furnishing a rental flat.

A used Vodafone branded fritzbox will not work.

I reckon it'll work and to just buy one for 60eur off ebay-klein and try installing. Mr Google fund ...

1 Unlocking your FRITZ!Box

If you purchased your FRITZ!Box from a retailer, your cable provider must unlock it first:

Important:In Germany, you can only use the FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable with the article number 20002778 with all cable connections. Models with other AVM article numbers are not intended for use with all cable connections.

1. Have your cable provider unlock your FRITZ!Box. Depending on the provider, you can either use an activation portal or call their customer service to activate it.
    • With some providers, the serial number and the FRITZ!Box's "CM MAC" address are required to unlock it. You can find both of these on the bottom of the device:

2 hours ago, scook17 said:

Really, why?

I meant the cable version of fritzbox and not the dsl version. 

2 hours ago, scook17 said:

I had the 6490 and it was a perfectly ok device, but did not support the latest DSL standard (supervectoring), so had to upgrade to the 7530 I have now. 

Fritzbox with 6*** series are for cable internet. The one with 7*** series are for dsl Internet through phone line. Branded cable fritzbox are availaible cheap on Internet butcant be used directly. It can be used as a repeater though behind another cable router. 

Simply wasn't available during that original purchase. But yes we did get it for free some months ago when furnishing a rental flat.

OK.. I

I reckon it'll work and to just buy one for 60eur off ebay-klein and try installing. Mr Google fund ...

Buy the one with article number as stated  20002778, then it will work. The other version, even the international version will not work. So be careful to that. On kabel-Vodafone forum one can find many post where people bought old Vodafone fritzbox which they can't use for cable modem. 

Edited topic to Cable / DSL because in fact I've 6*** series Cable (not DSL). Thanks vivanco.

In summary and thanks guys :

- New or Switching customers keep an eye out for free router - should be default. z.B.: Vodafone offers their Vodafone Box for free.

- Existing customer without option to Switch; ADSL router can be swapped directly because uses dedicated/distinct phone line ...

Cable router if swapped, must be recognized by provider : customer must call service provider and provide the details written on box.

- Either way 5eur/mo x 2 years = 120eur. One can find on ebay-klein for like 60eur and have a nice Indian Dinner to boot ;-p

(or buy new from Expert or MediaMarkt for 100eur and sell on ebay-klein later ;-)