Dog play groups near Metzingen / Reutlingen

4 posts in this topic

Hello!

We moved to Metzingen recently with our 4 year old dog. He is friendly with other dogs and is used to playing with them almost everyday at dog parks and off leash dog areas. While there are nice places to walk with him in the area, I haven't found many dogs that are off leash or a specific dog zone where we are likely to find dogs for him to run around with. 

Is there some place in the area (a 30 minute driving radius) where a lot of dogs come to play or run around?

Some doogy schools or HuTas (Hundetagesstätte, doggy day care) offer social walks where you can meet a lot of people and their dogs and find some who are compatible with yours. There are also Hundewiesen (fenced areas where dogs can run off leash).

Beware of some dog owners though. There have always been clueless dog owners, but they seem to have multiplied during the pandemic. 

"Der macht nix." "Der will doch nur spielen." and "Das machen die unter sich aus." (It doesn't do anything aka, doesn't bite", "It only wants to play." and "They will sort it out themselves.") are usually a sign of the clueless. Also those people who will not leash their dog when they approach or let their dog barge into yours despite being on a leash. 

As you probably know, not all dogs appreciate being jumped on by a stranger and what clueless owners sometimes think is play can be quite stressful for the dog. 

There are also sometimes weird dynamics in some Hundewiesen where the same people hang out all the time, consider it "theirs" and will not keep their dogs in check. 

There are a lot of nice dog owners around, but I would recommend you hang back and look at their dogs and everyone's behaviour before you throw your dog in the mix. 

For example: My dog is excellent at communicating with dogs. BUT: He believes that intact males of a certain size and disposition are a waste of space and need to go. Now. So he is not compatible with everyone. I can keep him from making good on the threat, but just the attitude could be very stressful for others dogs that are involved. So I do not allow contact with every dog that I meet, but rather just a select few. 

Thanks for the tips!

My problem has been quite the opposite in that it has been difficult to find any dog for him to play with at all. I was hoping not to have to pay for him to meet dogs through a doggy day care! One of us is always at home with him and we don't really have the need to leave him in a day care. He used to get to play almost everyday when we lived in California and the rare occasion he gets to play here, he really enjoys it. I feel like he is missing out on a key social interaction by not having this opportunity. 

If anyone in the area has dogs and want to form a group, I would be happy to see if they get along :)

You could also look for a doggy school that offers something you and your dog are interested in - dummy training, man trailing etc. That way you could learn fun stuff, but mostly meet other dog owners and you can arrange for additional walks together. Tbh, the vast majority of the new people I have met in recent years I met through their dogs...