Parking apps becoming the only choice - page 1 only

90 posts in this topic

Starting not long ago the parking machines in Berlin are being taken out of service and replaced by apps.  But even if I embrace technology, Germany always have to screw up things.   In Berlin is a requirement to have a sticker of the app you are using in your windshield, like, seriously?  And there are plenty of apps, so I have to choose one and stick to that one or fill up my windshield with stickers?  how about tourists?  how are they supposed to get the sticker?  the only way is to pre-order it per post but they probably won't know until they are here.  And how about borrowing a car from a friend?  Now I have to install the app the car has the sticker for and I have to register in my app.  And there is a limit of two cars in the app otherwise you have to buy some premium monthly plan.   How about a family with more than two cars?  Now every one in the family has to pay for the stupid premium plan for the privilege of having more than two cars in the app.

On top of that you have to pay 29c to 39c service fee for every transaction, while not much, I would have expected the city assumed the costs of the transaction since they are now saving money in the parking machines and permanent maintenance. 

Great Friday thread. In Munich all parking machines are still there...made by Siemens...HQ in Munich too 👻.

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

In Berlin is a requirement to have a sticker of the app you are using in your windshield, like, seriously?

Somehow I always thought that windscreens / windshields were for looking through rather than covering up.

But the slippery slope started with the Austrian vignette...

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

When we get our EV, we won't have to pay to park in Munich except for the private parking garages. Woohoo!

Now if I can find the link....

Some charging/parking spots are only for EVs.

Some guy with an EV **connected** to the charging station, where only EVs may park, gets a ticket. He complained that his Zulassung with 'E' should make it obvious and the cable too of course), but the Gemeinde wanted a sticker in the window as well. 

Probably up here somewhere...

I'm not talking about charging stations. I'm talking about all over Munich where you have to pay to park on the street. I think there is something like a 2 hour limit, though.

You are also only allowed a certain amount of time for charging. You can't just plug your car in and leave it there all day/night.

I haven't heard about the window sticker but I don't know everything yet.

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

How about a family with more than two cars?

A family with more than two cars in Berlin?!

16 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I'm not talking about charging stations. I'm talking about all over Munich where you have to pay to park on the street. I think there is something like a 2 hour limit, though.

Correct. But be careful, I got a ticket in Dachau. Unsure if the rule there doesn't apply, or if the guy ignored it.

Still, you need to place the blue time paper.

One small detail: this is only valid if your license has the "E" at the end. And yes, it's possible to mess it up and buy an EV without the E in the license plate.

23 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Some guy with an EV **connected** to the charging station, where only EVs may park, gets a ticket. He complained that his Zulassung with 'E' should make it obvious and the cable too of course), but the Gemeinde wanted a sticker in the window as well. 

Probably up here somewhere...

No, there is no sticker for EVs required. The "E" is the rule.

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I wouldn't consider Dachau as Munich so fair enough.

How long is one allowed on a charging station in Munich, Mike?

Unsure... in principle if you are still charging, it's OK. I guess if the police gets there and charging is finished, then you should have left already.

A Tesla supercharger (yes, in Munich) will charge you extra if you stay there 5min after it's done  or if you try to charge over 80% if it's crowded.

3 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

A Tesla supercharger (yes, in Munich) will charge you extra if you stay there 5min after it's done  or if you try to charge over 80% if it's crowded.

The others will too.

My apps for EV charging (ADAC / enbw ) have a limit of 4 hrs. Then 10c / min "blocking fee"

46 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

A family with more than two cars in Berlin?!

I know, but there are still some old school families, with kids, and omas and opas, and ... uncles and aunties.

On 1/14/2022, 5:25:40, Krieg said:

I know, but there are still some old school families, with kids, and omas and opas, and ... uncles and aunties.

Well, in that case, those cases have different owners, don't they? 

Anyway, I totally understand your rant but do not miss the parking machines which accept only coins. Even if the parking costs 10 euros, you should somehow find coins for that and not a 5 or 10 euro note (I am not even asking for a credit card). A nightmare if you do not use much cash. 

The technology will improve, eventually. As for tourism, I always parked on the outskirts of Berlin for free and took U-Bahn. Same in Munich, but there you pay some small fee for P+R parking. 

Oh the onward march of technology, sold as been for the benefit of the user but only benefits the owner.  Am I alone in thinking that life really was simpler if a little slower 30 years ago?

It is called the Verkehrswende, making driving (or parking?) less attractive. And cycling, walking, tram, train travel attractiver, just talk mostly of course.

Unfortunately the Schwarzbau in Gruenheide will soon be producing vast numbers of new cars, minus minus 😖