Car Dealer sold the car I bought

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

I bought a new car (neuwagen) from an official dealer of a German car company. The car was available immediately and located in another city. We signed the sales contact in the dealership (both me and the dealer representative), applied for financing, got pre-approval for financing and I've been waiting for my documents to be approved and receive my car. 

Today I was told that, there was a problem in their system and the car I bought was sold to someone else. And the main problem is, since this was the only new car available with the configuration I want, I would need to wait for a year to get the same car if I order it now.

I thought contacts are suppose to be taken serious in Germany and I feel like the dealer shouldn't be able to get away with this. Do I have a case against them? Should I ask them to get the car back or I will lawyer up? 

Thanks in advance.

We had the same thing happen when we ordered our new Skoda in 2011. We didn't need financing but had signed all the papers. The guy called and said his colleague had accidentally sold our car. We figured someone made a better offer after ours was accepted.

Himself immediately ordered one online so we only had to wait a couple of months.

We never used that dealership for any kind of services.

1 hour ago, bozav said:

I would need to wait for a year to get the same car if I order it now.

I can feel another offer coming on - this very afternoon. But you will have to act quickly. And it will only cost a thousand more. But if you pay today, in cash, it will be yours.

Sorry you are dealing with bastards.

That used to be a standard trick of UK dealers along with giving a great part exchange value against the old car only to say someone had messed up when it came to sign the paperwork and the price didn't stand. The one I really hated was talking about weekly payback amounts and not stating the interest rate which often was upto double base rate. Nowadays with such low base rates it's probably 4 times more. I thought those sort of sharp practices had been weedled out because of the rise of the internet and car supermarkets.

1 hour ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I dread car salespeople and aim to buy cars directly from their owners i.e. I'm never buying a new car.

That also comes with many problems. Anyway, the traditional dealership business is going away in 10 years.

My FIL wants to buy an EV in Portugal. He went to Hyundai. The dealership quoted him 6000€ above the price from Hyundai page. Why? They know they won't make any maintenance money from that one. Worst, they said EVs are crap and he should buy something else.

No chips = no inventory.  demand far exceeds supply and thus price gets squeezed.

one of the largest contributors to US inflation is car prices.

You were lucky that they've shown how reputable they really are. Leave an online review.

We got stood up for an appointment to test drive our EV. We had a real appointment. Didn't bode well for future customer service. 

We drove straight over to another dealership without an appointment, drove the car and Himself went back some days later and ordered one from them. It is currently on a ship.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

That also comes with many problems.

Sure but a) i am comfortable with my knowledge of cars and B) that's how much i hate car stealerships.

Plus I'm cheap.

I'll be the contrarian, but mistakes do happen and I would not be too quick to break out the torches and pitchforks until we have a peek at the other side of the story.  Based solely on what the OP wrote, I think the initial mistake was not going to the stocking dealer to buy the car.  It might be possible that the sale to the other person was already in progress at the stocking dealer without the knowledge of the other dealer.

I've purchased over a dozen new cars in the U.S. and would not inflict that pain on anyone unless they really upset me.  The last two new vehicles I purchased were about six months apart from a Ford dealer in Bad Nauheim, which is about 90KM from my house.  There are plenty of Ford dealers closer, but none had what I wanted in stock.  All offered to make arrangements with other dealers in the network, or offered to let me place an order and wait a year.  I decided to buy from a stocking dealer.

Without exception, the easiest and most pleasant transactions were the last two purchases.

Last car I bought, I also talked to dealerships and was told 6-8 weeks.  I ended up buying from an EU import which had the car I wanted in stock.  However, no extras included.  Like I asked if I could get 4 season tires and they said no.  I also had to take care of the registration myself but no big deal.  Better than waiting 6 or 8 weeks or maybe longer or maybe find out they screwed up the order or accidentally sold it to another person.

Look up the dealership online, there are often reviews by other buyers. Consider leaving a calm and factual review that does not result in any repercussions.

5 hours ago, fraufruit said:

We got stood up for an appointment to test drive our EV. We had a real appointment. Didn't bode well for future customer service. 

We drove straight over to another dealership without an appointment, drove the car and Himself went back some days later and ordered one from them. It is currently on a ship.

One question: are they charging well above webpage price? My FIL complained of that.