Train tickets on board purchase

11 posts in this topic

Since 1st Jan. it seems on board purchase is no longer allowed.

From DB email;

"seit 1. Januar 2022 ist kein Ticketkauf beim Zugpersonal mehr möglich."

Our local station has no ticket machine. What are the rights of those who don't have/want a smartphone or have computer access to print out a ticket beforehand? (Yes, they still exist!) Or someone underway finds themself at such a station and their phone has run out of charge ...

Can't find any reference to this on their site, and all their contact forms/chat help seem to be set up for scenarios that don't apply here.

Any ideas?

You need a ticket to get on the train as you do with the s-bahn, RE, etc. so if you get on without a ticket then you risk being fined - https://www.chip.de/news/Kein-Ticketverkauf-mehr-in-Zuegen-der-Deutschen-Bahn-Was-Sie-jetzt-wissen-muessen_184002801.html

Ohne Ticket im Zug? Die Strafen steigen

Ausgenommen vom Verkaufsstopp sind ab 2022 nur noch Schwerbehinderte. Sie sollen auch weiterhin ihre Tickets beim Zugpersonal bekommen und dann im Nachgang eine Rechnung erhalten.

Für alle anderen gilt: Wer ab 1. Januar 2022 ohne Fahrkarte in einen Fernverkehrszug steigt, muss richtig tief in die Tasche greifen. Laut Gesetz wird der doppelte Fahrpreis fällig, mindestens allerdings 60 Euro.

Im Extremfall kann die DB also den doppelten Flexpreis für die gesamte Zugverbindung in Rechnung stellen – mit 250 bis 300 Euro kann das erhöhte Beförderungsentgelt bisweilen doppelt oder dreifach so hoch sein wie ein vorab gekauftes Sparpreis-Ticket mit Zugbindung

Life without a smartphone is getting more and more difficult nowadays and if you also don't have access to a PC then you are really going to struggle with some things.

I would use "options" instead of "rights" in this case, unless the German constitution identifies travel by public transport as a right.  My neighbor is in a similar situation with regards to entering the current century and trading his quill for a computer or smart phone (or any cell phone).

His routine is to stop by the bakery near the train station to buy a ticket.  This does require him to plan his trips so he can buy the ticket(s) while the bakery is open, which includes Sunday mornings.  I don't know what retail options you have in your town, but in my small town there are at least five retail stores that also sell DB tickets.

Our station does have a ticket machine, but is sometimes out of service.  Apparently, it is common knowledge that the bakery sells tickets.

1 hour ago, Feierabend said:

:)

Strangely enough, the in the sticks place where I live and the station has no shops at all within 20km!

Business opportunity open a bakery in the station!:D

I am one of those who do not have a smart phone and I never will. I do have a laptop but no printer so this latest statement from DB worries me. More forward planning can help but not in every situation. What if your smart phone is not working?

Where are we going with all this technology?

Where I live we can buy a ticket on the bus which will get you to the next zone 20km away, either by bus or RB. There you have a train station with plenty of ticket machines, DB Reisebüro etc.

23 hours ago, Feierabend said:

:)

Strangely enough, the in the sticks place where I live and the station has no shops at all within 20km!

You might want to edit the title by adding you live in the pampa.

Ticketing for Bahn and Bus is being reorganised, simplified (?) through introduction of the Deutschland Tarif. I am quite good on railways and German but I can not really understand what it is. Something to do with ticket prices for trips outside VBB, VRR etc.