Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where to buy a PC

28 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Krieg said:

 

This is a bit unfair.  Apple Macbooks and Desktops get like 7 or 8 years of operating system upgrades and several years of security updates.  My son still has an old Macbook Pro 2012, running Catalina that was released in 2019, and still receives security updates.  My daughter has a Macbook Pro 2015 running the latest version of the operating system.   Both are totally usable even by nowadays standards, at least for what they do.

No, i don't think it's unfair. Apple stops updating security problems on old operating systems very quickly. Yes, you can upgrade, but some people can't because some other software is not supported on a more recent version or because they would need to upgrade that software too.

The problem is so bad that in some years this means macOS is the least safe OS out there, because Apple stops supporting older versions.

 

7 minutes ago, Krieg said:

The Apple high end desktop computers can be easily updated in terms of hardware.  It is true however that Macbooks (and current iMacs) can't be easily upgradable, but it is the only way to get such compact design.  And it is probably the same if you compare it to similar Windows notebooks.  The problem is when people want to complain about this they compare them to clunky notebooks that are in a different market category.

You can easily replace batteries, disk and memory on most Windows laptops. Apple prevents this badly, even on macMini, even by glueing components. This is to prevent users from buying the cheaper model and upgrading memory by themselves.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

You can easily replace batteries, disk and memory on most Windows laptops. Apple prevents this badly, even on macMini, even by glueing components. This is to prevent users from buying the cheaper model and upgrading memory by themselves.

 

In the Macbook Pro 2012 I have replaced:  Battery, hard disk (installed an SSD for better performance) and RAM

 

In the Macbook Pro 2015 I have replaced: Battery (yes it was glued, still not difficult to do it), SSD (bigger one) and trackpad ribbon that broke.

 

In an iMac 2008 I don't have anymore I replaced: hard disk (installed SSD for performance) and RAM.  

 

I have currently a Macbook Air M1 and I understand RAM can't be upgraded because they moved to "mobile" technology, so it will be like complaining I can't upgrade my smartphone RAM.  And yes, it is a valid complain the storage can't be upgraded.   Still I understand where they are going with this, I do not like either though.

 

If you want a clunky notebook that is easily upgradable it is OK, it is your choice to buy what you want.   My Dell notebook from work is all you would love, still it is not something I would carry around.  The Macbook Air M1 is passively cooled, the battery last something crazy, like 16 to 18 hours of actual work, and it is super light and compact, and its performance is crazy for such small device.  And it costs 950 EUR.  Is it the perfect notebook?  Not by far.  There will be always something to complain, but at least I complain after heavily using the devices, not with FUD.

 

 

P.S. Macos Catalina still received security updates every two months, even sometimes faster if needed.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Krieg said:

If you want a clunky notebook that is easily upgradable it is OK, it is your choice to buy what you want.   My Dell notebook from work is all you would love, still it is not something I would carry around.  The Macbook Air M1 is passively cooled, the battery last something crazy, like 16 to 18 hours of actual work, and it is super light and compact, and its performance is crazy for such small device.  And it costs 950 EUR.  Is it the perfect notebook?  Not by far.  There will be always something to complain, but at least I complain after heavily using the devices, not with FUD.

Absolutely agree, the M1 took everyone by surprise. Although GPU passive cooling is shit, it will throttle down. But for most users it's more than enough.

My understanding of the M1 advantages is that is related with memory integration and management, which is something Intel and AMD can copy.

I'm not yet sold completely on ARM for desktop. Yes, it's very cheap, but performance is much lower than high end x86 architecture, especially in multithreading.

Another problem is that it breaks compatibility with old apps. Yes, Rosetta 2 is great, but we already found situations where it doesn't work with our software.

 

49 minutes ago, Krieg said:

P.S. Macos Catalina still received security updates every two months, even sometimes faster if needed.

AFAIK, their policy is to support 2 versions behind, so Catalina is covered, although Mojave, which ended sales in mid 2019, less than 3 years ago, is not covered any more. This is not good.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

AFAIK, their policy is to support 2 versions behind, so Catalina is covered, although Mojave, which ended sales in mid 2019, less than 3 years ago, is not covered any more. This is not good.

 

Our Macbook Pro 2012 was supported until Catalina. The expected EOL of Catalina is November 2022, when that happens I will consider finally ditching the system, but then 11 years of life on a notebook is fantastic.

 

I think your complain about updates is because you compare them with Windows, which like to keep the version more static, Apple releases "new" OS versions every year, but they are not a giant step one from another, it is not like going from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  

 

 

Something else that is great about Apple is backup and replacing systems, this is something that pisses me off about Windows and Android.   When you replace a Macbook or an iPhone during the setup you say you are replacing a system and where and from where to get the data and the new system will have EVERYTHING you had in the old device.   Our Macbooks are backed up in our local NAS (but you could do it in the cloud) and our iPhones and iPads are backed up in the Macbooks.  The backup is something you setup once and you forget about it.   So if you accidently delete a file you can go to your back up and find the file.  Or if your iPhone or Macbooks is stolen or broken you replace it and you lose no data at all. 

 

Windows does not provide anything out of the box like that and so easy to use.   Android provides some way to "replace" another phone, but it will only download the apps but not the data of the apps, there is nothing out of the box that does the same and so easily.

 

And again, even if I sound like an Apple fanboi, I am far from that.  I really wish Windows/Android offered similar level of integration.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Something else that is great about Apple is backup and replacing systems, this is something that pisses me off about Windows and Android.   When you replace a Macbook or an iPhone during the setup you say you are replacing a system and where and from where to get the data and the new system will have EVERYTHING you had in the old device.   Our Macbooks are backed up in our local NAS (but you could do it in the cloud) and our iPhones and iPads are backed up in the Macbooks.  The backup is something you setup once and you forget about it.   So if you accidently delete a file you can go to your back up and find the file.  Or if your iPhone or Macbooks is stolen or broken you replace it and you lose no data at all. 

 

Windows does not provide anything out of the box like that and so easy to use.   Android provides some way to "replace" another phone, but it will only download the apps but not the data of the apps, there is nothing out of the box that does the same and so easily.

 

Not exactly. Windows has built-in OneDrive which works very well for document backup and sharing among family members. Also account linking copies a lot of properties when migrating to a new system. I just installed a new Windows 11 machine and as soon as I logged in with my MS account, I got all my documents back and many configurations.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Not exactly. Windows has built-in OneDrive which works very well for document backup and sharing among family members. Also account linking copies a lot of properties when migrating to a new system. I just installed a new Windows 11 machine and as soon as I logged in with my MS account, I got all my documents back and many configurations.

 

Apple Time Machine / iCloud backups bring your new system to the exact same status as it was before.   Of course I know OneDrive, it is laughable in comparison. 

 

I think you are just an Apple hater and I will give up here.   And the thread is way too derailed anyway.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Krieg said:

 

Apple Time Machine / iCloud backups bring your new system to the exact same status as it was before.   Of course I know OneDrive, it is laughable in comparison. 

That doesn't even make sense in Windows world. Licensing issues by itself prevent it. Apple world is simplified to the limit, so it works there. If you have an open architecture, "exact same status" is impossible.

As an example, my customers can't update their windows version without a new license USB dongle from my company. We simply don't allow it and there is nothing MS can do about it.

 

A small, closed system is easy to upgrade and maintain. An open system is not.

 

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

I think you are just an Apple hater and I will give up here.   And the thread is way too derailed anyway.

I praised M1, I praised the new M1 laptop and Mac Mini and said it's great for people with monotasking profile. That is far from hater.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11.1.2022, 17:19:39, MikeMelga said:

For a Desktop, unless you have very, very specific needs, buy an AMD Ryzen, it's much faster than Intel for the same price.

 

When I decided to get a new desktop PC just over a year ago my son assembled one for me.

I don't play computer games; use PC for normal desktop work plus video editting (Adobe Premiere Elements).

 

He used a AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (has 4 cores / 8 threads) with onboard graphics and 32 GB RAM.

The system has a 1 TB SSD & no hard disk.  I use a cycle of 3 USB external hard disks for the monthly backup.

 

When rendering videos all 8 threads are busy & when I read about the various issues users have with their graphics cards & Premiere Elements I'm thankful I have simple graphics!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0