Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where to buy a PC

28 posts in this topic

I'll confess, I have been a Mac user for nearly 20 years, and just like most other Mac Heads, I kind of let myself get drawn in to the eco-system, mostly because of things like photos management and their cloud services, which are miles ahead of any other competitor. But the time has come for me to get a Windows computer. Thanks to a recent increase in responsibilities at work I now need to have hundreds of browser tabs open, as well as the entire MS Office suite, Slack, Zoom, Teams and so on, so I need something that won't die when Javascript starts eating up resources. I really know nothing about Windows computers, I just want to buy one off the shelf, but I'm looking for recommendations for good places (online) to buy one. I really don't want to just walk in to Saturn or Media Mark and hope for the best. Any ideas?

Desktop, 800 - 1000€, with SSD internal storage, as good as possible graphics card.

If you would like to start out with something cheap I have a midi tower desktop with 8 core 3.8ghz CPU, 16 GB ram 250GB SSD,  2TB hard disk with a relative high end (AMD RX 460) graphics card sitting under my desk doing nothing and available at less than €200,-, it has an OEM Windows 10 Pro installed and fully up to date but the hardware will not support Windows 11. I could ship within Germany, PM me if you are interested

I'm a Mac user, but when I needed a Windows machine for work, I bought a HP Pavillion gaming notebook from Media Markt and a curved 35-inch LG monitor from an Amazon.de vendor.  I don't do any gaming, but the Pavillion came with an Intel i7 2.6GHz processor, 8GB of RAM, a 1TB hard drive, and Win10.  My office provided the full MS suite.  When connected to the LG monitor, external USB keyboard, and USB mouse, the Pavillion handled every task I lobbed at it better than my dedicated desktop computers at work.

I'm no longer using it for work, but it still works great when I need to do something that is Windows specific (which isn't much).  I don't think I would ever buy a desktop computer again.  Instead, I will buy a laptop or notebook that can be connected to external I/O devices and still be mobile when necessary.  When the graphics processor unit (GPU) in my late 2009 27-inch iMac crapped out, I used a mid 2012 15-inch Macbook Pro connected to the LG monitor until I could repair the GPU for the iMac.  Now that the iMac is repaired and back in service, when it eventually pops its clogs, I won't replace it with another iMac, but will use the MBP and the LG monitor.

1 hour ago, Chocky said:

need to have hundreds of browser tabs open, as well as the entire MS Office suite, Slack, Zoom, Teams and so on, so I need something that won't die when Javascript starts eating up resources.

1 hour ago, Chocky said:

Desktop, 800 - 1000€, with SSD internal storage, as good as possible graphics card.

PCBilliger.de and ThinkStore24.de sell perfectly good used laptops.  I don't have "hundreds" of tabs open, but I can run Word and Excel and Outlook as well as MS365 apps through browsers and do a video conference.  All with old machines like Dell 7440 and 6430.  And eBay Kleinanzeige is your friend for used 22 inch monitors, then with a few 10 EUR USB video adapter (Amazon, etc.) can give you plenty of screen real estate.  Add a USB hub with Netzteil to plug everything in to and/or a universal USB docking station and the laptop is still easily portable.

1 hour ago, Chocky said:

Thanks to a recent increase in responsibilities at work I now need to have hundreds of browser tabs open, as well as the entire MS Office suite, Slack, Zoom, Teams and so on, so I need something that won't die when Javascript starts eating up resources.

I would buy one with at least 32 GB RAM (or buy one with less and upgrade the RAM yourself to 32GB) if you go with onboard graphics and of course a SSD drive, which basically amounts to an entry-level workstation: https://geizhals.de/?cat=sysdiv&xf=17284_Windows%7E19189_Ja%7E445_32768%7E447_allgsosd

You can add constraints, e.g. the graphics card. 

Here are the ones with a graphics card and only 16GB RAM (otherwise we exceed your budget): https://geizhals.de/?cat=sysdiv&xf=11069_zzx%7E17284_Windows%7E19189_Ja%7E445_16384%7E447_allgsosd

Wow, great suggestions everyone, thanks :) - @keith2011 That does sound like a great deal, is Microsoft still releasing updates for Windows 10? I'm guessing the OS is installed on the SSD? 

For a Desktop, unless you have very, very specific needs, buy an AMD Ryzen, it's much faster than Intel for the same price.

Also bear in mind most Desktop computer are much more noisier than a Mac. And buying a "silent case" is most of the times counterproductive.

If you are interested in a silent system, without much performance demand, there are some solutions, some even passive dissipation.

If you are interested in a silent system, with performance in mind, you need a well designed case with liquid cooling CPU.

54 minutes ago, Chocky said:

Wow, great suggestions everyone, thanks :) - @keith2011 That does sound like a great deal, is Microsoft still releasing updates for Windows 10? I'm guessing the OS is installed on the SSD? 

Yes MS are still releasing updates for Win 10 and based on when Win 7 was replaced I would judge they will do so for another 5 years or so which means there should be no worries about security issues, when any, not getting fixed in the foreseeable future. The OS is indeed installed on the SSD so it boots up really fast and still has plenty of capacity, the 2 TB hard disk is currently empty.

P.S. it is not noisy.

2 hours ago, Chocky said:

Thanks to a recent increase in responsibilities at work

Instead of trying to guess your needs, wouldn't it be better to ask your employer and other employees what configuration best suits their (your) needs?

18 hours ago, Chocky said:

I'll confess, I have been a Mac user for nearly 20 years, and just like most other Mac Heads, I kind of let myself get drawn in to the eco-system, mostly because of things like photos management and their cloud services, which are miles ahead of any other competitor. But the time has come for me to get a Windows computer. Thanks to a recent increase in responsibilities at work I now need to have hundreds of browser tabs open, as well as the entire MS Office suite, Slack, Zoom, Teams and so on, so I need something that won't die when Javascript starts eating up resources. I really know nothing about Windows computers, I just want to buy one off the shelf, but I'm looking for recommendations for good places (online) to buy one. I really don't want to just walk in to Saturn or Media Mark and hope for the best. Any ideas?

What Mac do you have? I hear pretty amazing things about the M1s so if you’re happy with the ecosystem would an upgrade not suit you better?

I’m a long term Mac user but just built an entry level gaming PC. It’s nice but I wouldn’t switch for my work computer. 

Hi @Chocky, glad to see you back and doing well.    I understand your feelings of being sucked in the Apple ecosystem, but to be honest, there is nothing in the Windows/Android world that can come close and I really hate that, I feel Apple keeps me in a cage with their smooth ecosystem integration and I get angry that I can't achieve the same in other platforms.  Apple haters will not get this because they just hate Apple and never actually used a full Apple ecosystem, they do not understand how nice it is to be able to copy in your smartphone and paste on your desktop, or to shoot a video in your smartphone and air drop it to your desktop in 2 seconds, or to answer phone calls in whatever device you are using, or to use your AirPods in any device without re-pairing,  or .. the list is very long.

I would suggest you try a beefier Mac, the M1 based devices are super powerful, maybe a Mac Mini M1 would be a good option.

But if you really want to go Windows, I agree with @MikeMelga here, you could just build your own system and use an AMD Ryzen processor.  If you choose a "G" processor, they have a decent integrated video card that would let you do light gaming, it is very good for an integrated one.     Another issue is that this is not the best time to buy computer hardware, maybe buying a pre-built one would be a better option, the market in general sucks now, getting a video card is very difficult and you pay two or three times its price, that's why pre-built systems can be sometimes better.

2 hours ago, Dai said:

What Mac do you have? I hear pretty amazing things about the M1s so if you’re happy with the ecosystem would an upgrade not suit you better?

The M1 is quite amazing, but there are faster CPUs, especially in multi core use. The M1 excells in cost (not price) and power consumption. Power consumption is not relevant for desktops.

Apple keeps comparing the M1 to Intel, they avoid AMD comparisons because especially for Desktops, the AMD Ryzen is a beast at a great price.

I’m a long term Mac user but just built an entry level gaming PC. It’s nice but I wouldn’t switch for my work computer. 

I have to use Macs some times per week at work and I absolutely hate it. As a power user I get very frustrated with Mac usability. It looks like a system done for monotasking, which if it is what you do, great. As a programmer I also despise how Apple treats developers. They keep changing basic OS interfaces and every new version is an absolute pain to support. Windows is incredibly stable on that regard. And that's why you don't see Macs in production environment. Only end users.

On a personal level, I'm a gamer, so Windows is definitely the best option. I have also been assembling my own computers since early 90's, and that's something you can't do with a Mac. I also used to have a lot of external hardware attached and in general Windows is better for that, especially when requiring specialized PCI cards.

Apple does some excellent products, they have a great ecosystem, but for my type of work and personal occupations it is not a good fit.

34 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I have to use Macs some times per week at work and I absolutely hate it. As a power user I get very frustrated with Mac usability. It looks like a system done for monotasking, which if it is what you do, great. As a programmer I also despise how Apple treats developers. They keep changing basic OS interfaces and every new version is an absolute pain to support. Windows is incredibly stable on that regard. And that's why you don't see Macs in production environment. Only end users.

You will be surprised to know that Macbooks Pro are loved by hardcore developers.  Because you do not have to stay just using the GUI, behind it there is a Unix system and you can do great things with it.   And there is official and unofficial support (community maintained) for a great number of open source projects.

34 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

On a personal level, I'm a gamer, so Windows is definitely the best option. I have also been assembling my own computers since early 90's, and that's something you can't do with a Mac. I also used to have a lot of external hardware attached and in general Windows is better for that, especially when requiring specialized PCI cards.

Same here, and for that I have a gaming PC.  There is not much you can do with Apple desktops and laptops if you want to game.  Things can change in the near future because Apple Silicon is reaching decent graphics performance and the development of compatible layers with Windows based games is finally reaching decent usability (ironically thanks to Steam).  Still can't be compared with a simple 700 EUR Windows Gaming system.

But as I mentioned before, I am not really an Apple fanboi, I just ended up there after been mostly a Linux user for very long time and it really pisses me off that there is no other ecosystem that can compete with Apple.   I can't believe no one cared to develop the most simple integration between Windows and Android and plenty of things still feel like from the 00s.    Windows, which I use for work, is becoming really great, the integration of WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux), the support of Docker, etc, etc, are making Windows a great OS, if only someone cared about integration with other devices like smartphones, tablets, watches, headphones, etc.  And I can't believe Windows and Android users, which are a majority just got used to it and accepted that subpair cr*p.

40 minutes ago, Krieg said:

You will be surprised to know that Macbooks Pro are loved by hardcore developers.  Because you do not have to stay just using the GUI, behind it there is a Unix system and you can do great things with it. 

I do know that, but as you get closer to the metal, things become crap. When you interact a lot with base OS interfaces, it's pure crap. They keep changing it for performance improvements and cleanup, but that's a lot of work for developers.

I have a Mac expert on my team, he only uses Mac on professional and personal level, he loves Apple, but he hates it for development because of these changes.

Now we started a new multi-plaform project and it's all .NET, even on Mac. So we don't have to take care of these low level problems.

Been using Apple since the OS came on four diskettes, System disk 1, system disk 2, printerdrivers and Fonts, that was in the days of OS 6.4

DOS PC´s simply don´t have the grunt to process heavy duty industrial graphic files and most of the software in the industry is tuned to the Mac OS.

Personally I use a mac mini from 2012 and find it great, especially after a SSD upgrade.

Having said that High Sierra is the highest OS I can run on it, so in a few years it will need to be replaced.

1 hour ago, slammer said:

Having said that High Sierra is the highest OS I can run on it, so in a few years it will need to be replaced.

You have highlighted one of the reasons why I dislike Apple, basically what you get when you buy one is a package with little option to upgrade or improve either the hardware or OS and certainly not for free. If you buy the very latest on the market you can expect Apple to support it for a maximum of 5 years and for the next 5 years they will make it increasingly more difficult to use in the hope you will throw it away and buy a new one.

37 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

You have highlighted one of the reasons why I dislike Apple, basically what you get when you buy one is a package with little option to upgrade or improve either the hardware or OS and certainly not for free. If you buy the very latest on the market you can expect Apple to support it for a maximum of 5 years and for the next 5 years they will make it increasingly more difficult to use in the hope you will throw it away and buy a new one.

This is a bit unfair.  Apple Macbooks and Desktops get like 7 or 8 years of operating system upgrades and several years of security updates.  My son still has an old Macbook Pro 2012, running Catalina that was released in 2019, and still receives security updates.  My daughter has a Macbook Pro 2015 running the latest version of the operating system.   Both are totally usable even by nowadays standards, at least for what they do.

And smartphones and tablets get a similar treatment, official updates for like 5 or 6 years.  The current iOS version is 15.x and it supports devices all the way down to the iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2, both released in 2014.    I wish Android had this same level of support, you get lucky if you get two OS updates and for that you have to buy a high end device, the cheaper ones will get one update or none.

All Apple operating system updates are for free.

The Apple high end desktop computers can be easily updated in terms of hardware.  It is true however that Macbooks (and current iMacs) can't be easily upgradable, but it is the only way to get such compact design.  And it is probably the same if you compare it to similar Windows notebooks.  The problem is when people want to complain about this they compare them to clunky notebooks that are in a different market category.