We will finally buy a TV

115 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, catjones said:

used TVs are for sale for a reason.  most likely, outdated technology being replaced with a new set.

There are lots of reasons why people sell stuff on, ie I bought a used Samsung TV (LED), off an American guy who came to Munich for a couple of years and wanted to go back to the US, without lots of stuff, its still going some 8 years latter, sure the Smart features were turned off by Samsung, but a plug in stick gives me access to all the movies/TV I want. That was 8 years ago now, nothing wrong with the TV, but the screens are much better now and I think sometimes to up grade as well.

Sure there are also a lot of people who just want the latest features and gizmos, who sell stuff off cheap, it depends on what feature the buying thinks are in important to them, as to what to buy.

Again, I arrived in Munich in late 89', the American forces were starting to be pulled out, in large numbers in the early 90's, they also did not want to take a lot of stuff back to the US, so sold a lot high quality stuff for almost nothing in and around Munich.

The OP needs, to go into some TV shops, look at the TV screens and see what he/she likes. Then maybe look for something similar on ebay klein anziegn, its more work but you can save a lot of money, by buying a good quality TV and a fraction of the purchase price, just because the sell just wants an extra feature or two.

Of course there can be something wrong with a second hand purchase, but like with everything the buyer has to know what he/she is buying.

12 minutes ago, pappnase said:

the 'quick and easy' way to see if you have enough bandwidth is to vist https://fast.com/

Just checked on my smartphone, it says 58Mbs, it seems I'm good to go

9 hours ago, Gambatte said:

Been since 2013 without TV. Will finally buy one. Never had a flat TV, only cathode one.

Before you do too much visit your local Mediamarkt (Halstenbek).  Thats where we got both our TVs (2011 & 2013).  No problems with them.
The older (larger) one is in our lounge - has cable TV attached & more recently an Amazon FireStick.

I would seriously consider buying last year's model at a reduced price - after all, any new model will be out of date in not many months!

If you do got to Mediamarkt or the like, don't fall for a really good price on a seemingly nice TV. Most likely, it is the cheaper version - think Walmart - and will be missing some key features that you won't realize until later.

Speaking from experience. 

yeap, that just happened to me, I bought a new stab mixer, I asked the sales guy, does this stabmixer crush ice, we checked the manual and he said yes, bought it.

Got home and could not find the attachment for ice crushing in the box, checked the manual, and yep there was a very little star, by the ice crushing tool. This means you need to goto the internet to find out if if can buy it for the stab mixer I got, turns out not only could you not buy that attachment for the mixer I got, but not any stabmixer in the range.

Took it back and got my money back, but it seems you cannot just buy something in a shop these  days, without going on the internet.

My Samsung is from 2008 and still going strong, it’s used by the children and to watch the occasional news. For movie night we have a home cinema setup, which all together cost me the same as a high spec TV (plus several hours of home improvement to get everything nicely in place) and provides a 102 inch display and IMO a better cinematic experience. That said, if I were to upgrade I’d buy a 4K 65 inch LG. Can’t go wrong with it.

41 minutes ago, pappnase said:

The visit to Halstenbek Mediamarkt is scheduled for this coming week.

First question is the size. We'll be sitting 3.5m from it, just measured.

Btw I'm not into films, in my lifetime I've watched about one film per girlfriend, more than a couple but not dozens. 

I like documentaries, and sport. The rest of the family like films.

Be aware that at Saturn/Mediamarkt you have no independent sales guys for TVs anymore. So, one guy or girl works directly for Samsung, one directly for LG, one for JVC, etc. They are not employed by Saturn/Mediamarkt, so advice can be biased.

PS- My Philips is still going strong after 11-12 years, but they stopped producing. Bought it at Conrad.

42 minutes ago, yesterday said:

This gives an overview of the distance you should sit away from your TV depending on size!

Not really a helpful guide IMO, Gambatte says he will be sitting 3.5 meters away, which is about 137 inches, which according to that guide means he will need an 85inch TV. That is a monster TV and for someone who is coming from a CRT it will be overkill I guarantee.

Measure the screen size of your existing TV, and compare the sizes in your price range, look at the footprint of the TV on your TV stand and the 'presence' in the room, if your current tv doesn't dominate the room then I guarantee and 85" one will.

I'm sat about the same distance from my TV and the 55"  4k TV we have seems like a good balance between being too big and being able to see the details on this resolution.

35 minutes ago, pappnase said:

Measure the screen size of your existing TV, 

2 hours ago, pappnase said:

Haven't got any! That's why we're buying one.

37 minutes ago, pappnase said:

I'm sat about the same distance from my TV and the 55"  4k TV we have seems like a good balance l

Good to know, thanks a lot

2 hours ago, Gambatte said:

First question is the size. We'll be sitting 3.5m from it, just measured.

Minimum 65". Ideal 75".

I have a 65" at 2 meters and it's amazing!

And my personal desktop has a 34" monitor at less than half a meter. Gaming is amazing! But of course it's a place for 1, not 2 persons.

I was kind of similar situation. Never used TV gor many years.. last year we bought 58 ' hisense TV from media markt. Very reasonable  price. TV is very good for our needs. We sit around same distance.. TV is really useful for homework out.. 

Do all TV one can buy new today have wi-fi?

Our house does not even have an antenna on the roof. Nor satellite dish. There are cables ready to add an antenna, but maybe with wi-fi we don't even need the antenna... do we...?

I understand WiFi has a bandwidth limit, but we watch videos already on the laptop, and I measured 58Mbs on my smartphone, so bandwidth should be ok.

5 hours ago, pappnase said:

Not really a helpful guide IMO, Gambatte says he will be sitting 3.5 meters away, which is about 137 inches, which according to that guide means he will need an 85inch TV. That is a monster TV and for someone who is coming from a CRT it will be overkill I guarantee.

Measure the screen size of your existing TV, and compare the sizes in your price range, look at the footprint of the TV on your TV stand and the 'presence' in the room, if your current tv doesn't dominate the room then I guarantee and 85" one will.

I agree, 85" is enormous.

I first went for a 55" 4K TV, thinking it would be a nice upgrade from my old 32" Samsung TV (1366 x 768 pixel) that had developed brown splotches on the screen after 8 years.

But 55" was just too big, it was this big black "thing" that took over the room.

You should do a cardboard mock-up of the TV screen size at home, to get a first impression.

In the big MediaMarkt hall, you will lack context to judge how that TV will look in your living room, you will just see rows upon rows of monster TVs.

You can use this tool to visualise how the different screen diagonals translate to actual screen area: http://www.displaywars.com/55-inch-16x9-vs-43-inch-16x9

61db536acba13_2022-01-0922_27_44-VisualT

If I were you, I would do some research beforehand, by inputting your criteria into the Geizhals filters, to see what kind of TV you can get for your budget: https://geizhals.de/?cat=tvlcd

***************************************************************************************************************

Something to consider if you have a DVD collection.

The resolution of a DVD is only 720 x 576 pixel.

If you then get a 4k resolution TV with 3840 x 2160 pixel, the TV will upscale the physical pixels from the DVD to create the number of pixels needed for your TV and the result will look hideous: washed out and unclear, like a very bad VHS tape.

Been there, tried that, gave back the 4K TV.

For watching DVD, a lower resolution TV with 1366 x 768 pixel or 1920 x 1080 pixel is the better choice. But these resolutions are only available in TV of up to 43".

Also see this saga of DVD collector DVD Dinosaur's quest to find a TV fit for his purpose (he ended up with a 43" LG with 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution): https://www.avforums.com/threads/definitive-answer-playing-dvds-on-4k-or-led-tv.2246101/

If you have a DVD collection, I would suggest either this 43" Philips TV (1980 x 1080 pixel): https://geizhals.de/philips-43pfs6805-a2293012.html

Or this 32" Philips TV (1366 x 768 pixel), which is the one I ended up with (after the 55" 4K disaster I played it safe and got one with the same diagonal and resolution as my old TV): https://geizhals.de/philips-32phs6605-a2301961.html

Both these Philips TV have both wifi and LAN connections and all the "usual" apps like AmazonPrime, Netflix, Youtube - these Philips "internet" models have a "green" screen in the marketing photos: 

2301961-m0.jpg.28d171c84df97313711f7b934

Philips TV for the European market are assembled in Poland.

Avoid the "same-looking" Philips TV with the "yellow" screen in the marketing photos, they are a bit cheaper, but don't have the apps and internet connectivity:

2289318-m0.jpg.93803f87de39ae69a5793cb4c

***************************************************************************************************************

If you have a Blu-ray collection, go ahead with the 4K resolution TV.

The resolution of a Blu-ray is 1920 x 1080 pixel.

Upscaling a Blu-ray to 3840 x 2160 pixel resolution for a 4K TV still results in a good, crisp picture.

If I didn't have all those DVDs, I would have bought this Samsung 4K TV, that's the one I liked best when looking at all the TVs at MediaMarkt, it is nice and thin, only 2.6cm thick, "new" technology :)https://geizhals.de/samsung-gu43au8079-a2508260.html

2508260-m0.jpg.af2a3c75de7ab1582f742bc9b

Samsung TV for the European market are assembled in Hungary.

After not getting the hoped for upgrade with the TV, I at least git a nicer DVD/Blu-ray player.

The single criterium here was that I could switch it to "region-free" easily, to also be able to watch my Region 1 DVDs (you can't switch the Blu-ray part to region-free, there you're stuck with Region B: Europe, Africa, Middle East, Australia, and New Zealand).

Tried and gave back the Panasonic DMP-BDT184EG, it broke down whenever I hit the "pause" button on the remote.

And then got this really nice (very quiet) LG UBK90: https://geizhals.de/lg-electronics-ubk90-schwarz-a1787613.html

Not that I will ever need to play 4K Blu-ray, but there isn't much choice left in the market, only Panasonic, LG and Somy still produce players, and the Sony ones can only be made region-free by a hardware hack.

To switch the "DVD part" of the LG UBK90 to region-free, I just had to burn a file on a CD-R on my PC and then let the LG player play it: https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/lg-ubk90/12854

We bought one for the first time last year, and it is not connected to anything except the power, and it does telly things, so I would say you'll be good to go. It's a Samsung. Not very big. We asked in the shop - does it do internet? Can we use Netflix/Amazon/Youtube/whatever your personal preferences? They get idiots asking stupid questions all the time, so it's really not a problem.

We have at least one satellite dish up there somewhere (already on the building when we bought it) and a cably thing in the wall, but after kid#4 had a slight go of connecting it to those and it didn't come to anything, we bought a firestick and all worked out well.

2 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

You should do a cardboard mock-up of the TV screen size at home, to get a first impression.

Yes, absolutely. We did that. It was a good idea.

Just measured it now - not very carefully - 31". If you have been watching films on a laptop which is what we were doing, that is a massive upgrade. 

1 hour ago, Gambatte said:

Do all TV one can buy new today have wi-fi?

Our house does not even have an antenna on the roof. Nor satellite dish. There are cables ready to add an antenna, but maybe with wi-fi we don't even need the antenna... do we...?

I understand WiFi has a bandwidth limit, but we watch videos already on the laptop, and I measured 58Mbs on my smartphone, so bandwidth should be ok.

If it doesn't work, you can use a Powerline from Fritz! and get 100Mbit/s without passing cables.

https://en.avm.de/products/fritzpowerline/fritzpowerline-1220e-set/

This works with a single plug. You take the ethernet cable from Fritz and plug it in the TV.

That's how I have mine arranged and I get 40Mbit/s even 3 floors above. 

WIFI also works, but I found it would throttle down and reduce image quality often. WIFI is not reliable, and that can be a problem.

8 hours ago, Gambatte said:

I like documentaries, and sport. The rest of the family like films.

I watch the occasional documentaries (travel, volcanoes, aviation, railways of the World etc).

Not Sport (football is not mine)

But rest of family watches films, series etc.

10 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

But 55" was just too big, it was this big black "thing" that took over the room.

This. This is a furniture question really and not a TV question. You probably know if you're the sort of person that wants a giant TV dominating your living room (and the fact you haven't had one up to now suggests not). Whatever size you buy you'll get used to very quickly and every other TV will look ridiculously small or ridiculously large by comparison.

FWIW I'm sitting 3.3m from my 40" TV (yes I got the tape measure out). Yes I can tell the difference 4K makes, but wheter it's worth it or not is a different question and I downgraded my Netflix subscription to only HD because I didn't think so. And yes, according to what my TV says: Netflix HD = ~4Mb, which is peanuts.

Of course you only need an aerial or satellte receiver if you want to watch German TV.