Getting vaccinated without health insurance

24 posts in this topic

Is it possible to get vaccinated in Germany if you are not resident and you don't have German health insurance, by paying for the vaccination out of your pocket?

Some Dutchies went to Aachen and got their booster: no appointment, no resident, no German health insurance, no charge. They basically didn’t want to wait for their turn in the Netherlands in order to secure their skiing trip to Austria. The Dutch government is against this behaviour.

12 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Some Dutchies went to Aachen and got their booster: no appointment, no resident, no German health insurance, no charge.

Very true. My mate down the pub has two Dutch mates who live in Landgraaf just over the border. Growing up in that area they're both fluent in German and just blagged their way through. Schengen shenanigans.

Do these guys go to one of those massive centres, or to a local GP type set up? 

Kid#4 didn't want to wait for his vaccination through our system, so went to the Impfzentrum in the summer when they were having a drive to try to vaccinate as many kids as possible - he did need ID, which makes me wonder whether that would be the sticking point for the OP, but if all these Dutch dudes have done it, maybe not.

I can't remember if I had to show my insurance card at the Impfzentrum in the summer or not, but I did show my UK passport and the lady at the desk asked me somewhat suspiciously if I lived in Germany. I assured her yes, and that was all.

For the booster I definitely did need my card.

2 hours ago, kiplette said:

Did these guys go to one of those massive centers?

Possibly yes. And amidst  all the "Jab! Jab! Jab!" panic they blagged it. I'll leave that there.

My mate down the pub says he's known both these Dutch guys for 15 years. Solid guys. He's met them numerous times at Sisters concerts all over Europe. He's even met their wives and children on a comfort break in Landgraaf driving back from the UK. Total family guys. If they were doing anything perceived as 'illegal' I guess they were doing it to protect their families.

My mate also remembers when one of the Dutch guys turned up at E-Werk, Cologne 2008 for a sold-out Sisters gig without a ticket. He went straight to the guest list entrance, shouted and screamed, and got in. He wasn't even on the guest list!

Time for some light entertainment:

Wayne's guitar solo is outstanding.

Just in case anyone is confused : 

For the "free" Burgertests - yes, you need a Health Card (especially if you have a strong accent or can't speak German too well)

For the vaccine, not

But whether a GP would give you the time of day without one...

1 hour ago, HH_Sailor said:

For the "free" Burgertests - yes, you need a Health Card (especially if you have a strong accent or can't speak German too well)

They are free to anyone here in Konstanz, regardless of where you live and what you speak.  No health card is necessary.

Seems to be different everywhere. Berlin vaccination centres don't ask for a Gesundheitskarte. Brandenburg (Landkreis Havelland anyway) ones do.

In Hamburg they vaccinate all foreign crew on ships which harbour there. No questions asked. I think that’s great.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

In Hamburg they vaccinate all foreign crew on ships which harbour there. No questions asked. I think that’s great.

If I understood correctly, also in Munich, at least in the big vaccination centers in Marienplatz, Riem, etc...you only need a passport, no Krankenkasse or residence permit asked.

Can somebody please confirm?

21 hours ago, murphaph said:

Seems to be different everywhere.

The beauty of living in a Republic. Where each of the 16 states take advice from a Federal government and then decide their own course of action. Usually dependant on popularity polls and upcoming local and state elections.

I've also heard through the grapevine that there's another country out there with 50 to 52 states (depends how you count it) who have a similar system of government. And the states are even more wacky than Germany in their decision making.

But I won't mention the country, because then I'd be on the wrong thread.

7 minutes ago, Chelski said:

The beauty of living in a Republic. Where each of the 16 states take advice from a Federal government and then decide their own course of action. Usually dependant on popularity polls and upcoming local and state elections.

I've also heard through the grapevine that there's another country out there with 50 to 52 states (depends how you count it) who have a similar system of government. And the states are even more wacky than Germany in their decision making.

But I won't mention the country, because then I'd be on the wrong thread.

Well, the UK isn't a Republic- though it has devolved Administrations... but how about this anomaly?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10381455/Non-League-football-club-Chester-wall-breach-Welsh-Covid-rules.html

I have zero idea how your response pertains to my post.

But to answer your question; just draw a line around the ground +10m. I'm sure that'll take ten years of boundary commissions etc, so maybe the Welsh government will be sensible and just degree it's an English registered company, in England and let it go. Anything else is going full on jobsworth.

Btw, I never took you for a Daily Hate reader.

I'm not a Daily Mail FAN, Chelski! I remember my student days and my SWP neighbour always advised me to read what the " enemy " write and not just the papers I would have more tended to agree with!😂

I'm traditionally the Guardian type. Since the papers went online, like many others, I tend to hover around everywhere , including internationally , and sometimes pick out human interest stories.

Mind you, I was a paper boy from age 11 to 18 and read as much as I could walking up people's garden paths! That included the Morning Star and I tended to get " excited as a young teen reading the News of the World on a Sunday!😂

Oh, I thought my point about devolved Administrations and Bundeslaender was relevant. Then you get anomalies eg Hamburg residents driving to nearby Niedersachsen to get around Covid shopping restrictions.

On 1/7/2022, 7:50:07, HH_Sailor said:

In Hamburg you do not need a health card for a test. I don't think I showed it for my booster either 

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

Oh, I thought my point about devolved Administrations and Bundeslaender were relevant.

Ok, now I understand. Fail me.

In all honesty it was far too cryptic for me. Which as I appear to be the King of Obfuscation (anoited by my peers) on here, is a total car crash embarrassment for me personally.

I'll now take some time out from Toytown and enter rehab. With the support of my family, my friends and my belief in God and the sweet baby Jesus, I hope to return as a stronger and more wiser person.

17 minutes ago, tor said:

In Hamburg you do not need a health card for a test. I don't think I showed it for my booster either 

I certainly did not show any Krankenversicherung card for any of my 3 vaccinations with Moderna in the Impfzentrum Prisdorf (kreis Pinneberg / SH).
The first time (end May) I only showed British passport (my German wife was with me & also vaccinated so that might have helped).

Mid-June I got my Aufenhaltstitel.

For the 2nd vaccination I probably still showed my British passport; for the "Booster" this week I only showed the Aufenhaltstitel.