Father thinks he can take child with him in custody battle

90 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, catjones said:

Really?  I must be reading somebody else's post...

concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage

You and others might be confusing selfish with greedy or stingy.  Even when there's an amicable divorce, it's between two selfish people.

As noted elsewhere self preservation is neither "concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage".

There are plenty of situations where a divorce will give you no advantage whatsoever, at best you are back where you started from. You might also get divorced to protect people who are dependent on you.

For example  my former boss' (second) wife is currently in jail after she tried to stab him - and when I say "tried" I mean she got him, but missed any vital parts.  Now my former boss is a twat, but a distinctively non-violent one (I also know his first wife), what is he supposed to do ? Wait till she hits the mark ?

2 minutes ago, Marianne013 said:

You might also get divorced to protect people who are dependent on you.

Which is in your "self" interest.

20 minutes ago, catjones said:

Are you, by any chance, divorced? You seem to have quite strong views on this issue.

1 hour ago, warsteiner70 said:

You seem to have quite strong views on this issue.

The OP is simply presenting Her Side of a story and some people believe it without question.  They also know the motives and character of her spouse without one word from his mouth.  If that's a "strong view" then so be it.  I'd call it fairness.

20 hours ago, catjones said:

So it's selfish to protect your kids?  I knew someone who divorced his wife after finding her standing over his (not their) sleeping 12 year old son one night with a knife in her hand.  Now, in all fairness, I don't know both sides, maybe his ex had mitigating circumstances like kid being really annoying or something but if true, was it selfish of him to divorce her?

3 hours ago, LeonG said:

was it selfish of him to divorce her?

Yes, it was is his best interest.

On 7/9/2022, 3:28:52, catjones said:

Yes, it was is his best interest.

But using this logic every action is selfish. Me having a kid is selfish because I am also thinking about interests. So then which action is not selfish?

1 hour ago, Proton Anna said:

But using this logic every action is selfish. Me having a kid is selfish because I am also thinking about interests. So then which action is not selfish?

Probably an act for which you receive no benefit.  A selfless act.

Don't mean to get philosophic.  My original point was there are two sides to every story and we are hearing one.  I haven't heard a selfless act from the OP or from her spouse and that is typical of divorce.  I suppose you could say the same for marriage.

6 minutes ago, catjones said:

My original point was there are two sides to every story and we are hearing one.  I haven't heard a selfless act from the OP or from her spouse and that is typical of divorce.  I suppose you could say the same for marriage.

Of course!