Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Finding a live work loft rental

2 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I'm forced to move out of my flat due to breaking up with my long time girlfriend, who refuses to move at any price. As it's completely impossible to find a new residential flat fitting my requirements at any reasonable cost I would like to find a commercial space that I can also live in. 

I own a business (GmbH) which can sign the lease. 

Does anyone have any experience finding such a rental property and if so what would be a suggestion as to how to go about it? Are there real estate agents specialized in this area?

What you are after is how I am presently situated.  Albeit, not in Berlin, but in the Allgäu.  This is quite old school, but doable.  For Berlin, I honestly cannot say.  What you will need to do, is what I did:  contact the landlord / landlady directly.  They will need to get a Genehmigung from the Rathaus / Gemeinde and the average Markler is going to be too lazy or to busy to pursue.  Depending on how you wish to have your office / shop and living area setup it will prove difficult, but again doable. 

You will find landlords who simply don't wish to change the status quo. They have their property zoned for a pub, shop, office, etc, and wish to keep it so.  Here, at least, a change to a business setup - gastro to office - will cost roughly 20€ for the Genehmigung.  Offer to cover that cost and the cost to revert should you need to move out. 

Where you're going to have the most headache is the refitting, as it were. Where I am, this was strictly office space or a shop in the pedestrian zone.  A kitchen and bath were needed, and that also fell to my cost and was not cheap!  Making commercial property also a livable space is going to take time.  We added the costs into my contract so that each year it depreciates and I can recoup something in the event I'm forced out. A tax advisor and lawyer were involved to ensure my interests and the landlady's were covered.  This involved a 10 years contract.  Something to consider.

It is convenient and my thoughts today are nothing but positive that I did this, but at the onset it was stress, a headache, time consuming and cost quite a bit.