SUSPICIOUS: Looking to interview 50 Expats

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

We are looking to interview Expats who already live in Germany. Are you interested?

The format:

- 10 to 15 questions on your experience in Germany so far

- The topics will range from housing, social life, work prospects, healthcare, pet peeves

Get I touch if you feel like sharing your experience in Germany.

Happy New Year! 🥳

Best regards

1. who are "we"?

2. how? zoom? on paper? in person?

3. are you offering any incentive?

4. time frame?

Hi,

1. who are "we"?

We is Expaturm.com

2. how? zoom? on paper? in person?

With covid still in play we are anticipating that most people will opt for paper. Due to liability issues In-Perwon chats are out of the question at the moment

3. are you offering any incentive?

😉 Well, to be honest we hadn't thought about inventivising people.

4. time frame?

We are not rushing anything. If the interview is done on paper, we anticipate feedback in 2 to 3 weeks

4 hours ago, tor said:

5. Why? (don't tell me to check the website.) 

Ok, so I looked...

Although the t&c promise to follow German law, the site doesn't have an Impressum. So:

1) illegal

2) no idea who is behind it.

3) ignore

5 hours ago, tor said:

5. Why? (don't tell me to check the website.) 

well - take a guess...

to collect names and contact details of people whom to market their product/service to ;)

Who is financing this ? Advertising ? The English is a bit wooden, clearly not native speaker. Wonder who their target audience is. Comes over as someone s pet project but I cannot see where it would be going or how it would sell or to whom. 

I dunno, it is a nicely packaged little site and perhaps for those too ham-fisted to use google it might prove useful if looking to set up in Germany or for bits of info you don't want to ask on a er, a forum, just to be told to use the fucking search function.   Some start out promising, but when you click on the headline the text is frozen mud, sometimes heavy with legalese, others full of bland text you would find just about anywhere. 

Then there's stuff that is just bizarre, like this piece on hair loss.  Baldness is not exactly a niche expat thing, neither are piles, and they read as if written by a machine. 

The internet has moved on and people get their info in so many different ways, it's hard to imagine a blog-like-thingy from 2007 making a serious inroad for long.

We answer the questions if your site creates a forum for us so we can move there.

First, one needs to define the term expat. Can a foreigner who lives here 10+ years still be considered as an expat? IMO, no and he/she is more like a migrant worker (immigrant), but expat sounds more fancy. 

The term expat should be reserved for people who are on delegation abroad, sent out by their company on a temporary basis, typically 3-4 years. They have an expat contract and no local contract like a migrant worker.

On 1/1/2022, 8:06:21, KevM2012 said:

Are you interested?

No.

Not with an unclear entity that is pretending to be a second Local, and does not state what persons and/or company are behind the website. Even the name of the actual domain owner is hidden behind godaddy.com, a "make your own website for total noobs" service.

Really, no!

And I would seriously advise others to refrain, too.