14 day home quarantine + your turn to clear snow

36 posts in this topic

Hi guys, 

Next year will be on 14 day home quarantine in Germany exactly on the days it is my turn to clear snow according to the winterdienstplan. 

Is there any "befreiung" from the Pflicht:

a) if you're in quarantine.

b.) if there are covid curfews (no danger if nobody around, right?)

c) If a 3rd party winterdienstfirma calls in sick with covid?

My heart tells me COVID trumps everything, but not sure.

Also to what extent does Quarantine mean not leaving your Wohnung? Is it your Wohnung, or Wohnungsgebauede + footpath belonging to it?

Even if you are ill, you need to arrange for someone to do the work for you.   People round here do the elderly neighbour"s days.

How about getting up at 5 a.m. when nobody is about ?

In any case, who is going to implement the rule if you are on the job when in quarantine ? You will not have left your address. Who is going to argue this ? 

10 hours ago, paulwork said:

to what extent does Quarantine mean not leaving your Wohnung?

In the summer when Paps was in quarantine, after 5 days and a -ve test we let him downstairs and outside when we were not around, but he did stay inside the hedge - he didn't go off the driveway onto the pavement.

That is of course just anectdotal, not real rules, and there were only weeds which don't need done daily.

In your situation I would get up and do it as Optimista suggests. 

This is Germany.

If you can´t do it and can´t get friends or whoever to do it then you´re expected to pay a firm to come and do it. Even an act of God won´t free you from your duty.

5 hours ago, optimista said:

How about getting up at 5 a.m. when nobody is about ?

Not much point if it starts snowing later.

I can't see your location. According to wetter online, we aren't expecting any snow for the next 16 days in Munich other than one day - Dec. 29.

Do I trust their predictions that far ahead? No.

Just saying. Might be a non-issue.

ETA - I just noticed that you said next year. Oops.

Assuming you're not broadcasting to your neighbours you're in quarantine, just do it.

They'll all be watching you out their windows (checking the Winterdienstplan on their clipboards), clearing snow in the middle of a blizzard, thinking isn't @paulwork such a nice Ausländer Scheiße. You'll be a hero. ;)

Edit - I've yet to come across the SchneeQuarantänePolizei. (Please note I may have just made that word up).

Quite simple - You're in quarantine ie inside your own space.

Here the AOK version translated by deepl.com

Quarantine is the temporary isolation of people who are infected or suspected of being infected with a contagious disease. This is to prevent the further spread of the disease.

Currently, this isolation is enforced in most cases as so-called domestic quarantine. This means that the patient is not allowed to leave their own four walls and should avoid contact with any fellow residents until the risk of infection has passed. Since the incubation period of the novel coronavirus (pathogen: SARS-CoV-2) is up to 14 days according to the Robert Koch Institute, the domestic quarantine is also set to this period.

During the quarantine, those affected must take a temperature twice a day, as well as keep a diary of possible symptoms, body temperature and any contact with other people.

Necessary errands outside of one's own accommodation (shopping, visits to authorities, etc.) must be postponed or taken over by friends, family or other people, depending on the urgency. However, there must be no direct contact with the person in quarantine. Purchases, for example, would have to be left outside the door.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

So, plan ahead and get someone to be on standby in case the snows arrive.

You can also plan ahead by stocking up the fridge (so no need to go shopping)

and having enough toilet roll to last until you successfully pass a Covid home test.

Oh, and by the way. Don't expect your employer to pay you while in quarantine.

If you knowingly put yourself in danger, they don't have to give you sick pay.

I assume you fall into this category as you appear to be planning it.

14 hours ago, paulwork said:

to what extent does Quarantine mean not leaving your Wohnung?

@kiplette I originally read your edit above as "to what extent does Quarantine mean not leaving Wyoming?"

Which totally did not compute! :lol:

36 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Oh, and by the way. Don't expect your employer to pay you while in quarantine.

If you knowingly put yourself in danger, they don't have to give you sick pay.

I assume you fall into this category as you appear to be planning it.

Very valid point which many may not be aware of, so thank you @HH_Sailor

This was explained to the people in the organisation I work for a year ago and we've now gone done the road of; if unvaccinated and tested positive, quarantined...you don't get paid.

Tough love.

There are some rules, do they vary locally, does the path have to be cleared by 07:00? What if more snow falls later?

Already had snow here, quite likely there will not be any more this winter.😉

12 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

You can also plan ahead by stocking up the fridge (so no need to go shopping)

and having enough toilet roll to last until you successfully pass a Covid home test.

I don't know how you do that if you're coming home from another country, which is the only reason I can think that someone would know about quaratine in advance.

I wonder how many people really do stick to the 4 walls? But then the problem is the people that don't respect it by going out to the shop, or having their friends round, not the people who shovel the snow outside the front door when nobody else is about. 

On 12/20/2021, 6:05:08, paulwork said:

Also to what extent does Quarantine mean not leaving your Wohnung? Is it your Wohnung, or Wohnungsgebauede + footpath belonging to it?

Your Wohnung. Strictly speaking, also your room if you do not leave alone. So, if you're in a WG and it's your turn to clean the common area, you shouldn't as well. 

18 hours ago, Chelski said:

@kiplette I originally read your edit above as "to what extent does Quarantine mean not leaving Wyoming?"

Which totally did not compute! :lol:

Does that mean that if I have to go into quarantine that I must first travel to Wyoming?

PS What do I do if it doesn't snow while I'm in Wyoming? And how many Plätzchen am I permitted to eat while in quarantine in Wyoming?

On 12/20/2021, 6:57:06, Chelski said:

Very valid point which many may not be aware of, so thank you @HH_Sailor

This was explained to the people in the organisation I work for a year ago and we've now gone done the road of; if unvaccinated and tested positive, quarantined...you don't get paid.

Tough love.

@HH_Sailor it was not a planned quarantine, and I am vaccinated.

Germany called the UK travel ban AFTER arriving in uk.

I have no eggs, bread or milk in the fridge when I get back.

Does anyone know - can you stop off at the supermarket en route to your home to start quarantine?

Technically, you haven't entered your Wohnung yet at that point, and so technically and literally, you haven't yet had the opportunity to leave it and break quarantine.

I think there might be an airport supermarket. I see no difference between that, and buying stuff in the duty free.

2 hours ago, paulwork said:

.I think there might be an airport supermarket.

Hamburg airport has an EDEKA so others may well have similar.

3 hours ago, paulwork said:

@HH_Sailor it was not a planned quarantine, and I am vaccinated.

Germany called the UK travel ban AFTER arriving in uk.

I have no eggs, bread or milk in the fridge when I get back.

Does anyone know - can you stop off at the supermarket en route to your home to start quarantine?

Technically, you haven't entered your Wohnung yet at that point, and so technically and literally, you haven't yet had the opportunity to leave it and break quarantine.

I think there might be an airport supermarket. I see no difference between that, and buying stuff in the duty free.

Perhaps you can order some groceries. You can set up an appointment for a delivery on the day you return or the next day.