Not returning refunded money to Company

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

One of my friends worked as Software Engineer in Germany. The employer he worked with last year had a benefit called Education Budget which one can utilize for buying any online courses. he bought a few courses worth 1000 Euro and got the cost reimbursed from his employer. Later he left the job at the start of this year, and also had a couple of courses worth 400 Euro refunded which he didn't like from the online course website. So now, he has money which his employer already reimbursed him for, but he also got a refund for some of those courses.

In this situation, how much he is liable for keeping this money? Should he and how soon he should return this money? While asking for reimbursement, he gave an invoice containing VAT Id of the online website company. Can his employer find out automatically that he got the money refunded for the course? What problem this friend can get into?

No moral judging, please.

Why don't you just email them, say it was an complete oversight on your behalf and ask them how you can transfer the money back to them? At the end of the day, 400€ is not a huge amount but you refunding it is the right thing to do.

Ok, just re-read your mail and it's more the 400€. I would still just contact them. 

Sounds like fraud to me. I guess they won't find out, unless they decide to do some kind of audit and check with the training company. Then you, sorry your friend, will be in trouble.

I have only one advice to your friend to live fearlessly in this world. "Do always the right thing ". "Right " is decided by your moral conscious and law of the land

(And = logical and)

Give it back, keep it, whatever, but don't come crying here in 2 years asking for advice about how to get out of a charge if/when you do get caught. Nobody is going to be able to give the answer you want to hear, namely that there will be no repercussions for stealing this money. Because nobody knows.

4 hours ago, AnkitBerlin said:

Oh, fuck you!

You and your 'friend' should do the right thing, for fucks sake.

If you don't know what that is then we're all in a much worse predicament than I'd imagined.

he bought a few courses worth 1000 Euro and got the cost reimbursed from his employer. Later he left the job at the start of this year

Surprising they don't ask for all the money back after he trained up and left.

Hello,

One of my friends worked as Software Engineer in Germany. The employer he worked with last year had a benefit called Education Budget which one can utilize for buying any online courses. he bought a few courses worth 1000 Euro and got the cost reimbursed from his employer. Later he left the job at the start of this year, and also had a couple of courses worth 400 Euro refunded which he didn't like from the online course website. So now, he has money which his employer already reimbursed him for, but he also got a refund for some of those courses.

In this situation, how much he is liable for keeping this money? Should he and how soon he should return this money? While asking for reimbursement, he gave an invoice containing VAT Id of the online website company. Can his employer find out automatically that he got the money refunded for the course? What problem this friend can get into?

I won't be as direct as Aussiedog, but I was thinking the same thing.  The fact that you are concerned with being caught instead of the act of theft tells me all I need to know about you.

Your "friend" submitted the invoice to the company while asking for reimbursement from the vendor.  Candy coat this as much as you like, but I still see this as theft.

32 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Me too. I did my degree part time while working for IBM. The company paid for everything but I had to stay at least 2 years after qualifying or pay the lot back. I still have some expensive textbooks on obscure topics I don't think I every actually had in university. But they were on the "recommend reading" list and that was good enough for my manager to sign off.

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I thought this was one of those clauses that used to be in job contracts but were found

to be illegal and could thuss be ignored.

IANAL