Why do we make fun of Dacia Auto?

148 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

I was looking at a book about Romania before 1989, most of the cars in the pictures were Dacias, a licensed version of the Renault 12, quite a decent vehicle.

If I were buying a car, I should want one WITHOUT power steering, are there any without this unnecessary feature? 

Why is power steering unnecessary?

Because a simple mechanical steering is perfectly adequate, no need for expensive complicated heavy machines. The physical effort to turn the wheel without assistance is quite small.

The same for many other features: tinted glass, air-conditioning etc

40 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Because a simple mechanical steering is perfectly adequate, no need for expensive complicated heavy machines. The physical effort to turn the wheel without assistance is quite small.

Wouldn´t be without power steering,yer it´s a small effort but it´s one you can do without.

Tinted windows are normally in the rear and are really for if you have a baby,kids etc in the back.

My Fiesta has air con in it and it´s my first ever car with it and it´s wonderful for those 3 or 4 days where it is stifling.

I did my HGV course on a truck without power steering, now that was hard because the instructor made us drive slowly continuously around a triangle where three roads met. I had a proper sweat on.

4 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Power steering for consumer cars shifted from hydraulic to electric power steering about ten years ago, so they are not that heavy and complicated anymore, and the best, the fuel economy is much better.

And in the future we will change to "drive by wire", removing all mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the wheels, so you move the steering wheel and the signal is sent via the car computer to actuators that move the wheels.

29 minutes ago, Krieg said:

And in the future we will change to "drive by wire", removing all mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the wheels, so you move the steering wheel and the signal is sent via the car computer to actuators that move the wheels.

Do you mean the present? Many cars already have this.

5 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Yeah you can do without it but it's not that complex a system compared to a lot of other things in the car. I have driven cars without it and, yeah, it was fine, but I appreciate having it. My E46 has power steering, and it's still fairly heavy. Without it, it would be a huge pain. However, if you really don't want power steering I think the Russians still make cars without it. Maybe the Indians too.

A/c, power windows, power seats, etc. I understand, Too much electrics that can go wrong.

17 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Do you mean the present? Many cars already have this.

As far as I know the only production car with a drive by wire steering (no steering column) was the Infiniti Q50 and then it was retrofitted with a hydraulic steering system after problems and critics.   Most companies have prototypes but no other production car has have one that I am aware of.

PS. In 2020 a Porsche Cayman ran the ADAC 24 hours in Nürburgring with a drive by wire steering and ended in second place.  And last year there was a Mercedes as well but didn't do so good.

41 minutes ago, Krieg said:

As far as I know the only production car with a drive by wire steering (no steering column) was the Infiniti Q50 and then it was retrofitted with a hydraulic steering system after problems and critics.   Most companies have prototypes but no other production car has have one that I am aware of.

PS. In 2020 a Porsche Cayman ran the ADAC 24 hours in Nürburgring with a drive by wire steering and ended in second place.  And last year there was a Mercedes as well but didn't do so good.

Ah, you are right Krieg. For some reason I thought Teslas and Lucids were DBW, but I just read that I was wrong.