Why do we make fun of Dacia Auto?

148 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, ahammed said:

@MikeMelga, I heard the same from my French colleague about the Renault.

[I still went for the Dacia just because of its alluring "Electro" characteristic with the 8 years battery and 3 years service warranty. Lets see how bad it can go!]

Well, if you went with the electric one, perhaps it's not so bad. EVs usually have less maintenance. And right now the market still has no good mid-sized EV at a good price, so either you go expensive or you go ultra cheap.

Been looking for a replacement for my Mercedes and my conclusion for the current situation is that either I would buy a second Tesla or I would buy a dirty cheap EV.

As the Mercedes is doing less than 2000km per year right now, I won't trade it, so I will probably wait for the Tesla Model 2 within 2 years.

1 hour ago, French bean said:

But that's the point of Dacia, they are not competing and don't even try to compete with more expensive cars, they provide more affordable cars for those who don't have a lot. Perhaps the question should be turned on its head, do manufacturers that charge several times more than a Dacia actually offer a product that is several times better? IMO a number don't, they just have good marketing and a gullible customer base.

VW. The price of a VW (almost any model) for what you get is a ripoff.

17 hours ago, French bean said:

Why did I buy Italian? Because they use to build a bit of fun into their cars

A Fiat Panda was always in my car bucket list, but the timing never worked out.  I was thinking that in a few years my kids will be at the age of having their own cars and maybe a Fiat Panda would be a nice first car and I will finally have my fun driving one, but I was disappointed to hear Fiat will stop making them soon.

1 hour ago, Fietsrad said:

For 8000€ one can get a whole new Lada, four seats, big boot 😊

To me when people say "Lada" they mean "Lada Niva" and they are not cheap.  They start at 20k EUR in Germany.

10 hours ago, ahammed said:

@murphaph, in your opinion what's the best electric auto in decent price we should go for? 

To me the whole problem with the EV market is that the Tesla 3 is the $329 iPad.   The market of tablets is basically destroyed because Apple makes an entry level iPad for $329 which is an extremely competitive price therefore everyone who is thinking in buying a tablet would most probably take the cheap iPad instead of an Android tablet.

The same happens with EVs, the Tesla 3 price is extremely competitive and to be honest it is a really good price considering the technology and what they include in the basic package.   Whatever other option you take you will have to compromise A LOT and you will be still very close to the Tesla 3 price, except a few options what are a huge compromise and can't really be compared.

If I had to chose right now, and since you already mentioned a city car is a valid option (low range), I would go for a Mini Electric just because I like Minis, but of course most people would disagree.

When you spend 50k on a car that is not much different than a 10k car, deep inside you, you feel silly...so need to validate your decision, find a reason why 30k extra was a smart decision...and you make fun of cheapest cars.

16 minutes ago, Keleth said:

VW. The price of a VW (almost any model) for what you get is a ripoff.

Having owned 2 Golfs and a Polo I concur, the last one was a MkIV GT TDi, the amount of times I spent crawling in limp mode down the motorway, both dip beam bulbs went at the same time which meant driving on the M40 with just fog lights, the door seals leaked and worst of all was the attitude of the dealer. Friends of ours bought a new Golf just before we moved out here, 2 engines later.... and they had issues with their Audi. At least with Dacia you know what you're getting.

15 minutes ago, Krieg said:

A Fiat Panda was always in my car bucket list, but the timing never worked out.  I was thinking that in a few years my kids will be at the age of having their own cars and maybe a Fiat Panda would be a nice first car and I will finally have my fun driving one, but I was disappointed to hear Fiat will stop making them soon.

I had some warranty work carried out on my Stilo a few years ago and was given the previous Panda as a courtesy car. You don't need big engines and big wheels to have fun. It was such a laugh going round roundabouts and country roads. They also bought out the Panda 100, that was a Panda with a 100HP engine and uprated suspension. It was probably half the price of a Golf GTI and loads more fun. but I'm biased, even our Doblo can be fun and it's 15 years old, rust free with just a couple of dents and scratches and despite only having 2 working Glow Plugs, still starts. It's worth nothing here because it's RHD. We did look at P Ex for another Fiat but decided to keep it, it doesn't lose money anymore.

20 hours ago, ahammed said:

My colleagues told me to go for Korean/Japanese cars as they are much more reliable.

Are you from the Middle East? This is what we drive here in Israel: Mitsubishi, Hyundai, KIA, Toyota. Very few European and American cars. 

In the end of the day you want a cheap car + cheap parts & good service infrastructure. In Europe, locally made cars provide just this, so it makes sense to stick to VW/Skoda/Opel if you're in Germany. Buy what most people drive locally, it will be always a decent choice. 

My son is in the automobile industry here in Germany, and he recommended a Mitsubishi to me when I wanted to buy a new car a couple of years ago.  He feels the Korean/Japanese cars have become a better choice for most people, although it often depends on how much you need to drive in a year.  With the situation we're in just now, I'm not going far these days, so why spend so much on a car to have it siting outside the house.

Just now, Tap said:

My son is in the automobile industry here in Germany, and he recommended a Mitsubishi to me when I wanted to buy a new car a couple of years ago.  He feels the Korean/Japanese cars have become a better choice for most people, although it often depends on how much you need to drive in a year.  With the situation we're in just now, I'm not going far these days, so why spend so much on a car to have it siting outside the house.

Lol, all my japanese colleagues tell me NOT to buy a Mitsubishi!

Anyway, I will stick with European or in-Europe made cars, otherwise our economy will go down the drain. The US-made Tesla was my only and last non-European purchase.

Fester In Allen Tueren, doch: windows in all doors

Opel: Oh Prima, Er Laeuft!, goodness me, it goes

I have seen several Opels in Germany badge-engineered into Vauxhalls, could there be any reason for that? There is one parked a couple streets from me, I want to ask the owner what he is playing at.😆

1 hour ago, Tap said:

BTW, the army of Israel buys Mitsubishi for its officers, a very specific model: Mitsubishi Attrage. That does not mean anything except that they have a good contract with the local dealership (just like the Bavarian police has a contract with BMW). But many army bases are located in real deep shitholes of the country, both in the desert and in the mountains, so this car is good enough to drive in these conditions. 

7 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

I have seen several Opels in Germany badge-engineered into Vauxhalls, could there be any reason for that? There is one parked a couple streets from me, I want to ask the owner what he is playing at.😆

Normal everyday business.    Opels were sold for a couple of decades as Chevrolet in South America.  Some Daewoos are sold in Europe as Chevrolet.  And so on.

P.S., Some Dacias are sold in South America as Renault.  That's borderline cheating.

1 hour ago, HH_Sailor said:

oder

FIAT: Für Italiener ausreichende Technik

The English is 'Fix It Again Tony'

13 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Vauxhall and Opel were both owned by GM. Vauxhall is a strong brand in the UK and also years ago in RHD markets but weak in Europe so it's cheaper to change badges for different markets than to change designs. Now Opel and Vauxhall are owned by PSA look how the Citroen / Peugeot vans have been rebadged as Opel / Vauxhall

53 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Opel and Vauxhall basically had the same line-up, with Vauxhall being used in the UK and Ireland, and Opel everywhere else, except for a few models as Chevrolet in the US and Holden in Oceania. This was because GM owned all of them. Opel and Vauxhall are now part of PSA so they will still be the same with different badges, and will now have Peugeot-based cars instead of GM (or maybe both for a time).

3 hours ago, travelerworker said:

When you spend 50k on a car that is not much different than a 10k car, deep inside you, you feel silly...so need to validate your decision, find a reason why 30k extra was a smart decision...and you make fun of cheapest cars.

I can only really speak about the various body panels on German cars but many are just mutton dressed as lamb.

DC are particularly guilty of this. The only company that really seems to put value into their parts and the quality of them is Audi and they´re willing to pay for the quality.

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

BTW, the army of Israel buys Mitsubishi for its officers, a very specific model: Mitsubishi Attrage. That does not mean anything except that they have a good contract with the local dealership (just like the Bavarian police has a contract with BMW).

Just reminded me of a story from a relative who was in the armed forces at a very high rank, saying all these big military contracts are just bribery contests.

He specifically mentioned a competition for an army new all-terrain vehicle. All competitors got stuck in the obstacle course and one of the oldies had to go there and pull each one of them!

It's amazing how many people are fooled by things such as dampened grab handles, or a textured finish on the interior plastic, those things add pennies to the cost of a car yet manufacturers will add thousands to the price. The motoring press are equally as guilty for the hype some manufacturers have. At least with Dacia, you know what you get and with the numbers they sell there's a lot of happy people out there. As for the point about poor NCAP ratings, a lot of that is down to the fact that they don't fit electronic safety aids such as Lane Support, Occupant Monitoring or Speed Assistance. I would argue that theses things could actually increase the chance of an accident because the driver is actually passing responsibility over to the vehicle and can be complacent. If you want to actually drive a car rather than be a part of it then the Dacia would definitely be the way to go.

They're not being fooled at all.  They're buying what they want, not everyone wants calluses on their hands because they have to drive a 10 year old Dacia with a or tinnitus after every 4 hour car journey. People scoffing that people who can afford a nice car are somehow less intelligent is hitting my irony meter.