Why do we make fun of Dacia Auto?

148 posts in this topic

True but the jokes become redundant over time. The classic was "What do you call a Skoda with a sunroof? A skip". But nobody tells that one anymore as a Skoda is a VW.

2 hours ago, ahammed said:

I bought a polo 1.4 in 2020 after knowing it has a very good history. ... My colleagues told me to go for Korean/Japanese cars as they are much more reliable.

I think in general both a VW and Asian (non-chinese) cars are reliable... and boring...

But many european brands became much better in the past 20 years.

Surprisingly, Fiat made some great Punto/Fiorino 20 years ago. We bought 3 in my former company. Two are beyond 400.000km  with minimum maintenance. The other is at 350.000.

I think it's just the French cars that kept being shit. So no Dacia for me.

No one makes a bad car anymore. If you check out the main components you'll find that the Europeans be it BMW or Fiat will have Siemens engine management, Bosch electrical components, something like Girling or ATE brake units and seats made by Johnson Controls or Dunlop. The pacific nations will no doubt have their own quality suppliers. Now take it a step further, Fiat were using GM petrol engines, Mini use I believe the PSA 1600cc engine, Renault Nissan and Mitsubishi have a tie up and I think use the same engines in their cars and Ford no doubt supply their basic engines to someone else. Once all that's taken into account what's the point of paying a premium for a German car when you actually have the same components as other makes within?

26 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Surprisingly, Fiat made some great Punto/Fiorino 20 years ago. We bought 3 in my former company. Two are beyond 400.000km  with minimum maintenance. The other is at 350.000.

On that point I've had something like 7 Italian cars, mainly Fiat, and our current Fiat we've had for 13 years, only now is it starting to cost us a bit more. Why did I buy Italian? Because they use to build a bit of fun into their cars, then because their reputation in the UK was poor you could buy a used well spec'd car for silly money. Nowadays is their anyone that makes a good family car that is truly different from the competition?

As for French cars, it's not being shit that's a problem, it's the cost of repairs.

5 hours ago, murphaph said:

Lol I better keep schtum from now on. I wouldn't want anyone getting a nagging :ph34r:

All good mate! Keep up the good work!

2 hours ago, French bean said:

On that point I've had something like 7 Italian cars, mainly Fiat, and our current Fiat we've had for 13 years, only now is it starting to cost us a bit more. Why did I buy Italian? Because they use to build a bit of fun into their cars, then because their reputation in the UK was poor you could buy a used well spec'd car for silly money. Nowadays is their anyone that makes a good family car that is truly different from the competition?

As for French cars, it's not being shit that's a problem, it's the cost of repairs.

Repairs = shit

10 hours ago, Keleth said:

Snobbery.

Car owners do not like cheap cars basically. As they say, a car is an extension of a man's penis.

My cousin has had 3 of them and has had no major problems yet.

What, 3 penises? Penii, what is the plural for penis?

5 hours ago, murphaph said:

The classic was "What do you call a Skoda with a sunroof? A skip".

Or the guy who walks into a dealer and says "I want a new mirror for my Yugo" to which the guy in the shop says "Thats a fair deal"...

Or even...

When I was asked why there was always milk, yog and cheese on the back seat of my car, my answer was simple:

Mum said, always keep dairy produce in the Lada.

Coat on.

I'm gone.

7 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

@MikeMelga, I heard the same from my French colleague about the Renault.

[I still went for the Dacia just because of its alluring "Electro" characteristic with the 8 years battery and 3 years service warranty. Lets see how bad it can go!]

10 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I don't know what Renault's track record with electric cars is.

No company really got a proven track record with electric cars, not even tesla.

The EV  doesn´t go back far enough to have a proper track record worth it yet.

I just saw that the Renault Zoe got zero stars in the Euro-NCAP safety ratings (only the third time to ever happen!). Geez.

And to stay on topic, it was also mentioned that the Dacia Spring got only 1 out of 5:

"Das Modell Dacia Spring, ebenfalls von Renault und ebenfalls ein E-Auto, schnitt auch schlecht ab. Es bekam nur einen von fünf möglichen Sternen."

https://www.spiegel.de/auto/renault-zoe-im-crashtest-durchgefallen-elektroauto-erhaelt-null-sterne-fuer-fahrzeugsicherheit-a-4db04aa1-8fc0-4a76-95e9-8740950317ab

I was kinda surprised considering how competent the Zoe felt when I rented one for a week in June.

The Dacia Spring is very, very spartan and supposedly feels barebones like a car from the early 90's.

19 hours ago, ahammed said:

have recently ordered the Spring model(EV) oand now really curious to understand from the real owner if it was a bad decision. I am requesting to share some few words at your convenience.

This is a new car in German market. If you are already well informed about it's capabilities and then decided to buy, it should be OK for you. Adac recently published an article about it's plus and minuses.. https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/autokatalog/marken-modelle/dacia/dacia-spring/

Maybe dacias are better than they used to be but have they caught up with cars that cost several times more?

I read about colour options for an a--i. One particular colour cost 8000€ extra. For 8000€ one can get a whole new Lada, four seats, big boot 😊

11 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Maybe dacias are better than they used to be but have they caught up with cars that cost several times more?

I read about colour options for an a--i. One particular colour cost 8000€ extra. For 8000€ one can get a whole new Lada, four seats, big boot 😊

Who cares if your wife doesn´t like the colour?

28 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

But that's the point of Dacia, they are not competing and don't even try to compete with more expensive cars, they provide more affordable cars for those who don't have a lot. Perhaps the question should be turned on its head, do manufacturers that charge several times more than a Dacia actually offer a product that is several times better? IMO a number don't, they just have good marketing and a gullible customer base.

Not sure if it's still applies but there was a joke that FIAT stood for Fix It Again Tony. Reliability? Again, industry has caught up with the Japanese but I remember watching an old Top Gear (Tiff Needell era) were they made the point of which manufacturer do you see in the Australian Outback? 9 times out of ten, a Toyota.

6 minutes ago, pmd said:

...there was a joke that FIAT stood for Fix It Again Tony. 

In German the joke was: Fehler in allen Teilen :-)