Why do we make fun of Dacia Auto?

148 posts in this topic

Dear Toytowners,

Greetings. Recently I noticed many people around the world are often critical about the Dacia car while the real owner says its quite reliable and can be maintained long time without service. I have recently ordered the Spring model(EV) oand now really curious to understand from the real owner if it was a bad decision. I am requesting to share some few words at your convenience.
Also, do you think the cars exported to Germany have better technical modification than in other countries? Thanks!!

It used to be an unreliable Eastern European car brand from Romania.

Now it's a(n un)reliable French car brand from Romania.

Any other questions?

My wife has an '08 Sandero which she has owned from new. Mechanically the car is a low spec Renault Clio. Apart from normal service items (plugs, filters, pads etc.) it has required a new steering rack as the TÜV said there was excessive play. The car was 11 years old at that stage however. The front passenger side drive shaft was defective from new IMO. There was a very hard to reproduce and very quiet "clunk" noise but no matter how hard she tried, it wasn't reproducible when trying to explain to the Renault dealer so it was never repaired under warranty. Eventually this year it got loud enough for me to take action and I replaced the driveshaft myself for €35 (good quality spare parts for these cars are cheap as they are so common in both Dacia and Renault/Nissan vehicles). I also replaced the starter motor this year with a new one as the solenoid wasn't disengaging properly and a grumble could be heard after starting the car. Eventually this would see the solenoid stick "on" and the starter would just burn out and leave you stranded. I've experienced a "stuck on" starter on another vehicle I own so I could see the problem coming. Again, even a Valeo (OEM) starter was only about €50 brand new, so why bother with a reconditioned one at that price. I think that's it really. The car has 180k on the clock now. The wife wants to get a new car but I see no reason. If it passes its TÜV next year without major expense that is.

They are basically ok little cars. Amazingly, they don't seem to suffer with "classic" French car electrical problems. A speaker wire got loose but that was about it on the electrics side. Oh I also had to replace the TDC sensor a few years ago. It was idling a bit rough. I also cleaned the throttle body while I was at it though so I'm not sure which of those really cured the problem.

Snobbery.

Car owners do not like cheap cars basically. As they say, a car is an extension of a man's penis.

My cousin has had 3 of them and has had no major problems yet.

21 minutes ago, murphaph said:

They are basically ok little cars. Amazingly, they don't seem to suffer with "classic" French car electrical problems. A speaker wire got loose but that was about it on the electrics side. Oh I also had to replace the TDC sensor a few years ago. It was idling a bit rough. I also cleaned the throttle body while I was at it though so I'm not sure which of those really cured the problem.

100% agree! My wife bought a Renault Laguna before we got married and it was an absolute nightmare in terms of electrical problems. My conclusion is they don't spend enough on R&D and come up with solutions which were not properly tested and might or might not work.

"Funny" enough, I had an intermittent problem with it, where it would rev up  momentarely! Most of the times it was benign, but once it accelerated and wouldn't stop! Quite dangerous and we got lucky we had a few seconds to react and do something. After 2 different mechanical shops had a look, one found that the accelerator had a faulty electrical cable.

The car has 120.000km and it's basically ready for the junkyard, with multiple problems. Pure shit.

Going back to Dacia, if French cars are shit, I can't imagine what a low cost version of these will be.

Dacia's history is the main issue here, as mentioned, but it is also the general regard for French cars from a few years back. It seems they've improved a lot, so I wouldn't have a problem getting a Dacia or Renault (I've considered one of their 7-seaters recently). Don't forget, though, that German cars have their own issues, and American cars are garbage. I'd get a French one over an American one any day (though I really like the S-Max). But, I do most work on them on my own, as long as I have the time, so I tend to get cars that I like and figure out the issues later. I currently have a 2003 320i with 260k KM and a lot of leaks and clunks that I am fixing up (veeery slowly).

If you want reliability, get a 10-year old Toyota (or Lexus) or Honda (or Acura) with a good service history. I don't see any other way. I myself am tempted :)

14 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

If you want reliability, get a 10-year old Toyota (or Lexus) or Honda (or Acura) with a good service history. I don't see any other way. I myself am tempted

My 2nd car was a 15-year-old Corolla with 200k on the clock.

The most reliable old car I ever had. Usually would buy a heap, drive it until the MoT came due then get rid of it for scrap. Corolla got through 3 MoTs with no problems.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

My wife has an '08 Sandero which she has owned from new. Mechanically the car is a low spec Renault Clio. Apart from normal service items (plugs, filters, pads etc.) it has required a new steering rack as the TÜV said there was excessive play. The car was 11 years old at that stage however. The front passenger side drive shaft was defective from new IMO. There was a very hard to reproduce and very quiet "clunk" noise but no matter how hard she tried, it wasn't reproducible when trying to explain to the Renault dealer so it was never repaired under warranty. Eventually this year it got loud enough for me to take action and I replaced the driveshaft myself for €35 (good quality spare parts for these cars are cheap as they are so common in both Dacia and Renault/Nissan vehicles). I also replaced the starter motor this year with a new one as the solenoid wasn't disengaging properly and a grumble could be heard after starting the car. Eventually this would see the solenoid stick "on" and the starter would just burn out and leave you stranded. I've experienced a "stuck on" starter on another vehicle I own so I could see the problem coming. Again, even a Valeo (OEM) starter was only about €50 brand new, so why bother with a reconditioned one at that price. I think that's it really. The car has 180k on the clock now. The wife wants to get a new car but I see no reason. If it passes its TÜV next year without major expense that is.

Mate, it's blokes like you that make the rest of us look bad! Is there anything Handymanmessig that you can't do? Glad my wife doesn't go on TT; I'd be singing the "No Pussy Blues" (Nick Cave - check it out) for even longer than normal.

I officially award you winner of TT's Toolbox Of The Month...yes, toolbox for now.

(P.S. Got a couple of little jobs for you here if you're at a loose end.)

1 hour ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Dacia's history is the main issue here, as mentioned, but it is also the general regard for French cars from a few years back. It seems they've improved a lot, so I wouldn't have a problem getting a Dacia or Renault (I've considered one of their 7-seaters recently). Don't forget, though, that German cars have their own issues, and American cars are garbage. I'd get a French one over an American one any day (though I really like the S-Max). But, I do most work on them on my own, as long as I have the time, so I tend to get cars that I like and figure out the issues later. I currently have a 2003 320i with 260k KM and a lot of leaks and clunks that I am fixing up (veeery slowly).

If you want reliability, get a 10-year old Toyota (or Lexus) or Honda (or Acura) with a good service history. I don't see any other way. I myself am tempted :)

Agree completely. I had the "pleasure" of owning a Passat from new and JHC what a disaster that thing was. The car was based on the Audi B5 platform /(the Audi A4 was the first car built on this platform) and it was an engineering failure. The car had a multi-link front suspension and it was constantly destroying bushings. There'd be a characteristic clunk sound when turning or in the case of the anti-roll bar drop links, a mighty clunk when going over a speed hump. Utter garbage. I was advised before buying it by a VW mechanic to steer well clear (pardon the pun) but I was young and foolish and ignored his sage advice. I can't remember how many link arms and control arms I replaced on thecar, but definitely all 8 + the 2 drop links at least once. VW/Audi binned the multi-link suspension on the B6 platform I believe, returning to a traditional McPherson strut + wishbone design.

I was able to fix the car myself and my father owned a motor factors so I got parts for cheap but if you needed to have a garage repair it, good luck.

Toyotas are basically bullet proof. They take immense abuse without failing.

2 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

It used to be an unreliable Eastern European car brand from Romania.

Now it's a(n un)reliable French car brand from Romania.

Any other questions?

@El Jeffo, thank you for the explanation. N un reliable  - quite a new word for me!

@murphaph, thank you at first for your reply. It seems you are quite happy with it because of low maintenance. I hope my new one will also give me no headache.

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

Snobbery.

Car owners do not like cheap cars basically. As they say, a car is an extension of a man's penis.

@Keleth, hahaha. Great quote, Ganz genau.

1 minute ago, ahammed said:

@El Jeffo, thank you for the explanation. N un reliable  - quite a new word for me!

He means a reliable (but in brackets an unreliable) car. It isn't a new word yo.

The only issue here is that it's electric, and I don't know what Renault's track record with electric cars is.

1 hour ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I bought a polo 1.4 in 2020 after knowing it has a very good history. Unfortunately the car is not that great and very tough to drive uphill. My colleagues told me to go for Korean/Japanese cars as they are much more reliable.

7 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

He means a reliable (but in brackets an unreliable) car. It isn't a new word yo.

The only issue here is that it's electric, and I don't know what Renault's track record with electric cars is.

@kaffeemitmilch ach so! 

56 minutes ago, ahammed said:

My colleagues told me to go for Korean/Japanese cars as they are much more reliable.

Where I come from we say if you want a car that lasts and doesn't have many problems, get a Toyota or a Honda. If you want a status symbol, get something fancier.  However electric car haven't been around long enough for anyone to say really which are good.

4 hours ago, Keleth said:

Snobbery.

It is not always snobbery, I couldn't care less about the brand of my car, however I want some comfort that it is normally found in expensive cars.  But since they are way too expensive what I've done is buying second hand "expensive" cars, I take that over a brand new basic car any day.    Life is too short.

19 minutes ago, Krieg said:

It is not always snobbery, I couldn't care less about the brand of my car, however I want some comfort that it is normally found in expensive cars.  But since they are way too expensive what I've done is buying second hand "expensive" cars, I take that over a brand new basic car any day.    Life is too short.

My parents used to do that.  Buy maybe 10 yr. old cars with a bit of luxury and drive them until they died.  My brother gave them a newer car once but they were unimpressed because it was basic :D