After work meet up for those who only think of their selfs!

157 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

There was no triaging in hospitals before corona as far as I know. Maybe in the UK.

Now healthy people with normal sudden serious illnesses like heart attacks and cancer are being turned away and denied treatments for which they normally would have gotten treated.

You sound like one of those "schlank and schön" Germans now.

Twasn't me who brought up triaging! It has been a word in everyone's mouth lately ( and a word I expect only medical people knew previously👍 ). Everyone should be medically treated. Of course, some people deliberately abuse their body. I know I have enough in my life but have basically been lucky.

But we just imperfect as humans.

And I couldn't return in time for a second eye op on Crete because corona led to the closure of the hospital eye department for one and a half years. So I have seriously impaired vision in the right eye... 

so basically, indirectly , affected by triaging as well...

44 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

There was no triaging in hospitals before corona as far as I know. Maybe in the UK.

More likely in the USA imo where it would be the state of their health insurance (if any) rather than their state of health that would be taken into consideration.

People thinking for themselves... can hear plenty of fire crackers around here right now... I thought they were currently banned...

31 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

A police spokesperson explained that illegal demos with hundreds of participants were 'Ordnungswidrigkeiten', (minor infringements), comparable to illegal parking. I guess that explains why they do next to nothing, the same way they treat illegal parking. A police officer explained to me why she tolerated illegal parking: "wir lassen fuenf mal gerade sein*", a plausible translation might be: "we close all three eyes".

* 'we treat five as an even number'!!

People's definitions of acceptable demos depend on their ideology... so many Left wingers will condemn what they perceive as a " right wing " demo and many Right wingers will perceive eg BLM demos as unacceptable.. corona is the bit in the middle...

1 minute ago, keith2011 said:

More likely in the USA imo where it would be the state of their health insurance (if any) rather than their state of health that would be taken into consideration.

It's already the same here on one level.

I called up to local hospital in September needing a shoulder MRI and was told the earliest appointment was at the end of January 2022. After hesitating a bit the girl asked me if I was privately insured.
As I answered yes, she offered me an appointment the following Tuesday.
Here we are, still in December and not only is the MRI done, so is the operation and all by the first week in November.

Obviously I benefited from it, but it's not right.

Yes, Eric! It's a Zweiklassengesellschaft.

My partner Nicole ( publicly insured ) and yours truly ( privately insured ) once went to the reception desk of an excellent dermatologist here in Hamburg.

We wanted a check up ( we were visiting after some years in the Greek sun ).

Nicole went first and got an appointment for three months' later. She was hanging around in Hamburg for family reasons anyway so ok...(-ish ).

I showed them my private insurance card and, a few minutes later , was ushered into a separate room, all the machinery, doc, checks and advised I needed some urgent laser treatment .. and went back the same day. All sorted out.

In fact, similar  three or four months ago. On a fast trip to Hamburg from Crete to sort out my Brexit documentation, I phoned up, got an immediate appointment and did some more lasering.. I am very fair-skinned and sun abuser over many years... ok.

Edit: it DOES help if you are publicly insured and also have supplementary private insurance. 

2 minutes ago, john g. said:

Yes, Eric! It's a Zweiklassengesellschaft.

My partner Nicole ( publicly insured ) and yours truly ( privately insured ) once went to the reception desk of an excellent dermatologist here in Hamburg.

We wanted a check up ( we were visiting after some years in the Greek sun ).

Nicole went first and got an appointment for three months' later. She was hanging around in Hamburg for family reasons anyway so ok...(-ish ).

I showed them my private insurance card and, a few minutes later , was ushered into a separate room, all the machinery, doc, checks and advised I needed some urgent laser treatment .. and went back the same day. All sorted out.

In fact, similar  three or four months ago. On a fast trip to Hamburg from Crete to sort out my Brexit documentation, I phoned up, got an immediate appointment and did some more lasering.. I am very fair-skinned and sun abuser over many years... ok.

And yet, I'd still switch to public insurance in a heartbeat if I could! :D

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

The question remains, what exactly did they accomplish other than being public nuisances? 

They probably enjoyed some fresh air! Lovely weather at this time of the year!

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

Why can't you?😂And, erm, why?

( too late... the decision took place...??)

Self-employed and it's too expensive for a family (12k a year + 4k SB).
I've been private here for nearly 30 years... what was cheaper at the beginning certainly isn't now.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Perhaps not in the ER.

But certainly on the way there.

Fire / Ambulance staff and Emergency Drs have always had to choose which patient to treat first.

Imagine being the first to reach a car crash and having to decide who to treat first

with the limited equipement / people resources on hand at that moment.

Triage was always there (ask anyone from the Rettungsdienst) just not widely known.

For transplant surgery, there is also triage.

Best chance of surviving the operation multiplied by quality of life afterwards.

Medical ethics : somewhere where I really hope (and expect) to find the minds

looking after the patient's future.

The whole family is privately insured??? 4,000 SB? Jeez. That sounds awful... 4,000 SB... translation- as a young man, you wanted cheap and would never get ill and who needs a low deductible... yep... 

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

The whole family is privately insured??? 4,000 SB? Jeez. That sounds awful... 4,000 SB... translation- as a young man, you wanted cheap and would never get ill and who needs a low deductible... yep... 

Well my son has now started his Ausbildung so he's on the public at the moment (except for the Zusatzversicherungen and the Anwartschaft so he could get back into the private if needed because of pre-existing conditions) but yeah.

The SB thing was a bait & switch con from my wife's insurance. Put the SB up to 3k and the Beitrag comes down 4k per year. Except over the next 5 years the Beitrag went back up to nearly the same level as before. We wanted to change it but pre-existing conditions make that hard.

I was never permanent staff anywhere so private was the only option from day one.

1 minute ago, john g. said:

Dunno if you can ever use this info, Eric, but publish and be damned. ( NOT shilling here or whatever the word is..)

https://www.gunnpartner.com/articles/getting-into-German-public-health-insurance

We've had contact before John (I used my real name, not my Chinese bot name, obviously), thanks for the offer though!
There's only so much you can do when moving policies within a provider.
I've thought about taking a permanent position to get into the public insurance but that hasn't happened yet.

You were maybe the 7th Eric I was dealing with that day! :D Hence your not Chinese bot name!🤭😂

9 minutes ago, Eric7 said:

I was never permanent staff anywhere so private was the only option from day one.

Are you under 55?

If yes, you can funnel your freelance income through SMartDe eG, i.e. become their employee for a few months and can then terminate the employment and continue as a voluntary member in public health insurance: https://smart-eg.de/en/

They charge 9% of the net turnover that you funnel through them as their fee.

8 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

Are you under 55?

If yes, you can funnel your freelance income through SMartDe eG, i.e. become their employee for a few months and can then terminate the employment and continue as a voluntary member in public health insurance: https://smart-eg.de/en/

They charge 9% of the net turnover that you funnel through them as their fee.

I'm the Geschäftsfüher in my own GmbH, (so I'm technically employed but am not Sozialversicherungspflichtig) so I don't think that will work.
Thanks though!