Purchased an apartment and now one of the tenants has an issue with our dog

39 posts in this topic

We used to have a dog and I remember a neighbour coming over to tell us that the dog had been barking a lot while we were out the previous evening.  But we hadn't been out the evening before, in fact, we rarely left the dog alone, so it wasn't our dog.  

I think MAM makes a good point, leave a recording device on some day and check.  Another neighbour of ours also had a dog that never barked, until his owners weren't there and after a few hours, he would start howling.  We talked to her about it and she left a spare set of keys with us so we could take him for a walk or go up and check on him when he started, worked a treat.

4 hours ago, murphaph said:

Thankfully children and dogs are viewed differently in the eyes of the law.

I would actually claim that the rules and regulations about procreation should be much more strict than about adopting a pet. But that's just going to the realm of personal opinions.

4 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Why don't you leave a video recording your dog's behaviour while you're away.

Then you either know your dog is barking, or you have proof the dog is not misbehaving.

In fairness small dogs can be very yappy.

And much as I love dogs, a dog barking continually is really annoying.

People who are used to noise often don't grasp just how horrible noise can be to the noise sensitive.

Eventually we will, just to prove the point that our dog is not as horrible as these particular neighbor claims. Thing is that we haven't done so yet, because he was only left alone exactly twice, in the entire 9 months we had him. But now that we have the backing of all the apartment owners in the building, saying that our dog was never an issue to them, we have a much solid case to prove that these particular neighbors are just speaking out of pure hate of dogs (not like we didn't know that already...)

8 hours ago, fraufruit said:

What part of dogs are not allowed in your building do you not get? That might be the reason that others bought homes there.

I should probably wake up every day and be thankful that I am not your neighbor.

The part I don't get, is the same part that every tenant also didn't, which is that this rule was probably a copy-paste by the management company, and no one ever objected to us having a dog. But aren't we lucky that we have people like you around to make things so loud and clear for us...

Lesson:

in Greece, no one cares if your dog barks or cries- it is outside and not welcome inside but/and nobody bitches about the noise. The Greeks themselves tend to be noisy.

In Germany, dogs are welcome inside except if your neighbours don't like it. But the neighbours can be noisy. 

Folks- do you realise how alienated from nature many humans living in towns are? 

Play Pink Floyd loud but dare a non-human expresses its feelings?

Just back in Germany after 8 years in Greece. New office, 3rd floor Altbau, puppy Mandy here the whole day. Lucky! Next to us is a young couple with a young dog who barks a bit.. when she realises Mandy is close eg coming up the stairs.

Worse things happen at sea. For God's sake, how alienated are people from nature?

8 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

well, the Mehrheitsbeschluss can prohibit dogs (or cats) specifically - but this can be faught in court and will most likely decided in your favor:

https://www.haufe.de/recht/deutsches-anwalt-office-premium/tierhaltung-weg_idesk_PI17574_HI637225.html

Thanks for that.

Meanwhile all the owners in our building backed us up unanimously, but I will keep this as reference for when we need to face the idiot neighbors again.

7 minutes ago, john g. said:

Lesson:

in Greece, no one cares if your dog barks or cries- it is outside and not welcome inside but/and nobody bitches about the noise. The Greeks themselves tend to be noisy.

In Germany, dogs are welcome inside except if your neighbours don't like it. But the neighbours can be noisy. 

Folks- do you realise how alienated from nature many humans living in towns are? 

Our feud about the dog really says a lot about how broken society is, if people cannot make an effort to tolerate each other's dog\music\whatever for an hour every few months, just for the sake of getting along with each other, and they are all caught up with themselves, then what else can I say?

The property management company also told us that from what everyone in the meeting said, it sounds more like the neighbors are being a nuisance than our dog, which is what I wrote in the beginning.

Basically, venomman, if our dogs are not welcome in an establishment - whether a cafe or restaurant or shop- they do without our business. Nothing dirtier and unwashed than many humans.

I had forgotten - at least here, we can get on a bus with dogs and no issue. Greece? No.😟

6 minutes ago, venomman said:

... the neighbors are being a nuisance than our dog...

I hope for your sakes that this is not just the beginning of hostilities. :ph34r:

5 hours ago, venomman said:

But now that we have the backing of all the apartment owners in the building

Are you sure the residents you spoke to are owners and not tenants? That´s essential. I´d proactively make sure of that before the assembly. Not all owners may show up. Some may vote by mail or not at all.

for when we need to face the idiot neighbors again.

those 'idiots' are following the rules, you are not.

I should probably wake up every day and be thankful that I am not your neighbor.

and FF probably feels the same about self-important, sanctimonious, self-indulgent, rules-are-for-others-not-me people like you.

If I was allergic or afraid of dogs, I'd want to be assured that what I'm buying fits my needs.   Unlike you, I'd read the house rules.

Some people do indeed have a fear of dogs, perhaps going back to a childhood event (for example my brother was bitten in the face by our own dog as a 5 year old. He's not afraid of dogs but I wouldn't blame him if he was). Perhaps these people try to buy property where keeping dogs is prohibited by default and permission to keep one will require their consent. There's always another side to the story. I hope that "awful woman" is just a busybody with nothing else to complain about, and doesn't genuinely have a fear of dogs, which she may not want to admit publicly, because if not and she does have a fear of dogs, you just made her home a stressful place to live.

Did you not attend the AGM yourself? (it sounds like you are relying on the management company to relay or translate the sentiments of the other owners to you, which is never a good idea. You should be present at meetings that directly affect you. 

I go walking every weekend with a friend of mine and she's terrified of dogs.  She's ok when they're on a lead, but when they're running around free, she steps in behind me until they pass by.  Everything else about nature she loves, we stop and chat to horses and cows along the way and she gets much closer to them than I do, but she's scared of dogs.

We're all afraid of something, with me it's heights, I really wouldn't want to live at the top of a high rise building, so I don't.  I will ask my friend this weekend how she would feel if someone moved into her building with a dog, it would be interesting to hear her view of it.

I'm sorry for the OP's predicament, I hope you can find a solution.

We have professional musicians in the house who play a lot - piano, cello, etc. We have never complained. We like music.

The only time we complained was when the neighbor under us rang our bell and asked me if I was raised in a barn. She proceeded to call me "Ausländer Schwein" We called the police and they organized a mediation. Everything was fine after that.

I'd say I'm a pretty good neighbor.

OP - You definitely did mess up by not reading the house rules when you bought the apartment. If every owner agrees that the dog is allowed, then you got lucky and learned something for next time. 

Just some food for thought:

- Dogs have to learn how to be alone. It might be an idea to practise with your dog and train it. Especially when living in an apartment. A lot of people got dogs during the first wave of the pandemic and - as they were working from home - never trained them to stay home alone. When they had to go back to the office in the summer, the problems started. It is much easier/quicker for a puppy to learn and nicer for the dog as well, if it is comfortable at home without its humans there. Some dogs are more comfortable in a crate or in a single room instead of having the run of the entire house when they are alone. Even if the neighbor was making up stuff, it is in your dog's best interest that it is not stressed and anxious when you are not home. 

- I understand some people are afraid of dogs. Some people are also afraid of certain dog breeds (we have one of those...). A dog should not approach a person without their consent and to me it is just common curtesy to put my dog on a leash and have him walking beside me when we approach other people. But I have never heard of anyone's fear extending to a dog anywhere in the building. Having said that: barking dogs are annoying as hell. 

- A camera sounds like a good idea. We have this one:  Dericam 1080P Home Wireless Überwachungskamera, Pan/Tilt Control, 4X Digitalzoom, Nachtsicht und Zwei Wege Gespräch, Baby Pet Veranda Monitor, Alternative Antenne, P2, Schwarz: Amazon.de: Baumarkt It works with an app and you can also check if your couch is still intact. 

There is a huge difference between enjoying the sounds of nature: leaves rustling, a stream flowing, bird song, the occasional wolf howl.

And putting up with loud music, a continually yapping dog, engines revving. 

People who are upset by urban noise are rarely upset by nature. You can't draw an equivalence.

OP, small point but I don't understand why you think your neighbour is making it up about your dog allegedly barking. If the dog has been in your yard, obviously the the tenants have seen it or at least have been aware of the dog's presence before the complaint. Unless the lady was completely oblivious to your pooch, she would have shopped you straight away if she was a nuisance neighbour. 

14 hours ago, john g. said:

To be pedantic, pet animals have nothing to do with "nature". Nature = wolves and jackals, Germans have successfully eliminated those in the 19th century.  Those make really annoying sounds at night, dog bark in comparison sounds like a Mozart opera.

5 hours ago, yourkeau said:

To be pedantic, pet animals have nothing to do with "nature". Nature = wolves and jackals, Germans have successfully eliminated those in the 19th century.  Those make really annoying sounds at night, dog bark in comparison sounds like a Mozart opera.

To be more pedantic, "Germans have successfully eliminated those in the 19th century."

I'll get my parka...

9 hours ago, maxie said:

OP - You definitely did mess up by not reading the house rules when you bought the apartment. If every owner agrees that the dog is allowed, then you got lucky and learned something for next time. 

Just some food for thought:

Two paws up! All that needs saying really.

Woof, woof!

53 minutes ago, skinnypuppy said:

To be more pedantic, "Germans have successfully eliminated those in the 19th century."

I'll get my parka...

You must be a TEFLer!😂

Simple Past ( a killer in Germany ) and a perfect Simple Future at the end!😂