Financial options for expensive dental procedures?

24 posts in this topic

I have some serious problems with a few of my teeth. The dentist said that they need a crown job or implant. He also recommended doing teeth bleaching as the color of the teeth is so yellowish at the moment. But, that would be expensive too. 

I know you would say that I had to brush more often when I could. But I wonder what are available options to handling such expensive dental procedures instead of paying them in a lump sum?

I got a Kostenvoranschlag checked by another dentist through the Verbraucherzentrale.

Try finding out for yourself, remember that many dentists are rich, they have their own political party, the fdp. I was urged to have professional cleaning several times a y€ar. An implant could cost a grand, it might not work, could fall out.

Could be that doing nothing, or less, is an option.

5 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

I got a Kostenvoranschlag checked by another dentist through the Verbraucherzentrale.

Try finding out for yourself, remember that many dentists are rich, they have their own political party, the fdp. I was urged to have professional cleaning several times a y€ar. An implant could cost a grand, it might not work, could fall out.

Could be that doing nothing, or less, is an option.

Yes. But, I'm not happy with how my teeth look right now, especially when I want to give a big smile to people.

It's possible to get insurance.  One of them keeps advertising that you can get it even when it's "too late".  I have no idea how much they cost and how much they pay though.

Other than that, if you have public insurance, they do pay a part of it.  Get your dentist to make an offer and you take it to your insurance.  If you have been seeing your dentist at least yearly, you can get a bonus heft, a small booklet listing prior dentist appointments.  This may increase the percentage that the public insurance pays.  

Once you know how much you have to pay, you can start saving up and you can also ask your dentist for a payment plan if they are willing.  You can also ask your dentist to break down the work into one tooth at a time so you can spread it over time.

You haven't put your location in your profile. It might help people make recommendations.

You need to get the serious problems fixed or they will become more serious and perhaps very painful and more expensive.

As for bleaching, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. I think there are some safe and reliable home bleaching remedies. BTW, I've never heard of a dentist recommending it. Sounds like a money grab. People know when their teeth aren't white.

There is also dental tourism where you go to another country and pay much less. Many people do it with good results.

Dunno what they use tp whiten teeth these days but I had a dentist I trusted years ago who told me NEVER bleach your teeth as it destroys the enamel. Just don t. 

Snow white teeth are not normal either. Might be enough to try a different toothpaste.

Apparently there are 'fashions', a few decades ago many dentists just pulled out bad teeth. Now keeping them is preferred if possible. Read as much as possible about it so you know about options and costs.

13 minutes ago, optimista said:

Dunno what they use tp whiten teeth these days but I had a dentist I trusted years ago who told me NEVER bleach your teeth as it destroys the enamel. Just don t. 

Professional teeth bleaching is safe now and doesn't destroy the enamel. Some of the home products are also safe. You can do as many "rounds" as you want and avoid making them Hollywood white. It ain't cheap.

6 hours ago, fraufruit said:
6 hours ago, fraufruit said:

There is also dental tourism where you go to another country and pay much less. Many people do it with good results.

That's new to me. For instance, what countries do you suggest or have heard of being traveled for such a purpose? If I want to try that option, I prefer to go somewhere that the quality of the treatment is at a satisfactory level without the risk of getting any blood transmitted diseases or similar problems!

3 minutes ago, stephan_fam said:

That's new to me. For instance, what countries do you suggest or have heard of being traveled for such a purpose? If I want to try that option, I prefer to go somewhere that the quality of the treatment is at a satisfactory level without the risk of getting any blood transmitted diseases or similar problems!

I heard of Turkey from German colleagues, but personally I do it often in Portugal, during vacations. I also had a Portuguese friend in the Netherlands that found it cheaper to fly on purpose to Portugal than to have some treatments in the Netherlands.

I've done some comparison and it depends on what you want to do. Something material-intensive won't be worth it. Example: a crown isn't much cheaper in Portugal, as only the hourly cost is lower.

Try googling 

'cheap dentists in Europe'

Hungary, Poland have offers.

I drove to Poland a while back. First 300m past the border were cheap booze shops and dentists!

Croatia does it as well as Romania. I have heard good reviews.

I have to wonder why the appearance of your teeth wasn't important while you were married and you only want to fix them now that you are divorcing.

Interesting.

Poland is definitely an option and it's not too far. If you search for Zahnarzt Polen you will find some clinics which specialize in the German market.

4 hours ago, stephan_fam said:

what countries do you suggest or have heard of being traveled for such a purpose

Turkey should be cheap right now with their currency being in free fall. No idea about the quality they offer though. Also think of the travel cost of any check-ups which may be necessary. Or subsequent treatments, should they become necessary.

A bunch of clinics in Malta & Gozo specialize in implants and cater(ed) mainly to dental tourists from the UK. Get an implant, hang out in the sun. Come back six to eight weeks later for a check up, have some nice dinner and hang out in the sun some more. Bonus: they speak English. 

My husband used to live there and got his implants done before moving to Germany as it was less than half the price. Our dentist here says the work they did was excellent when he went for a check up. 

A few years back I had a crown done in Poland. It would have cost €1400 in Berlin, of which my insurance would have paid half. For the same money, my wife and I had a week's holiday in Poznan and I got a shiny new crown into the bargain. Very professional work, and the dentist spoke English well. I'll go back if I need more work. Check:

https://www.whatclinic.com/

25 minutes ago, skinnypuppy said:

A few years back I had a crown done in Poland. It would have cost €1400 in Berlin, of which my insurance would have paid half. For the same money, my wife and I had a week's holiday in Poznan and I got a shiny new crown into the bargain. Very professional work, and the dentist spoke English well. I'll go back if I need more work. Check:

https://www.whatclinic.com/

Either that was a very special crown or one of us has a very special dentist.  I just got 2 crowns in September.  Total cost was 882.  AOK paid 498.  My part was 384.

Getting an implant takes a long time. You will find the procedures here.

I'm not a candidate because my bones are a bit thin. Most dentists don't do a bone density test beforehand. I highly recommend it if you go that route. Unless the tooth has to be removed, crowns look just fine. A bridge is another option if the tooth must be removed but I wouldn't get one in the front teeth. I have one in the back.

16 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Either that was a very special crown or one of us has a very special dentist.  I just got 2 crowns in September.  Total cost was 882.  AOK paid 498.  My part was 384.

Crowns go from 500 to 2500€, depending on which tooth we're talking about. A front crown can be quite expensive, while one at the back is inexpensive.

That's why it might not make sense to do a crown outside Germany: most of the cost is material, not hourly rate.

33 minutes ago, LeonG said:

How did AOK pay more than half of that? Is it their routine share for a crown job? or do you have a special dental add-on in your contract with them?