Getting divorce while the car is in spouse's name?

4 posts in this topic

We are thinking about getting a divorce. But, I do not know what should we do about the car. Well, I pay for the bank's installments while the car is registered in her name (Zulassung is in my her name). I'd like to know what would happen to the car and the financing contract after our divorce. Honestly, I'm not interested in keeping the car. Even if possible, I'd prefer to sell the car and get rid of it. But, she might want to keep it, especially if she can have it without paying anything!

seriously? the car is everything you worry about? 

I'm assuming you live in Germany? 
Does your wife earn any money of her own?
Do you have children?
Do you own the place you live in, or do you rent?  

The process of getting divorced will take more than figuring out what to do with your car. 

What you could do, though, is simply talk to your (ex)wife and ask her, if she'd like to keep the car.
If she says "yes", then you could tell her that she'll be expected to make the payments, and you could tell her you'll stop paying on day x. 

You could also write your agreement about the car - and hopefully more than that - into a (notarized) contract before the divorce to make the process go easier, faster, and cheaper through court.

Good luck.

Her advice about the car was spot on.

I would assume the dude is handling all the other stuff or he will be back to ask.

Ultimately, the lawyers will answer off of their questions.

13 hours ago, stephan_fam said:

We are thinking about getting a divorce. But, I do not know what should we do about the car. Well, I pay for the bank's installments while the car is registered in her name (Zulassung is in my her name). I'd like to know what would happen to the car and the financing contract after our divorce. Honestly, I'm not interested in keeping the car. Even if possible, I'd prefer to sell the car and get rid of it. But, she might want to keep it, especially if she can have it without paying anything!

You should contact a divorce lawyer. 

Without being one, my general knowledge is everything you acquired while being married belongs to you both, both property rights and debt obligations. This remains valid until your divorce is finalized! 

I second recommendations to first talk to your wife.