Jahres-Brutto vs. steuerpflicht. Brutto vs. sozialvers. Brutto

5 posts in this topic

My wife is a teacher in a public school here in Germany. I'm trying to predict what Bruttogehalt will be reported on her Lohnsteuerkarte that she receives a couple months into 2022.

Silly me, I thought it would be her monthly Gehalt + Jahrssonderzahlung... but it's not.

When I look at https://oeffentlicher-dienst.info/, and put in her specific info, the left hand side looks correct... her Grundgehalt and Jahres-Brutto match what's on her 

pay stubs. But on the right side of the screen when using the Gehaltsrechner, I see a "steuerpflicht. Brutto" number which is a little higher than her actual monthly Gehalt...

and a "sozialvers. Brutto" which is even higher. So it looks like there is the actual salary she is paid, the salary from which her income tax is calculated, and the

salary from which her Rentenversicherung/etc. is calculated from. I tried googling these terms, and got rather confused. Can someone explain the difference?

For the past 3 years, the number reported on her Lohnsteuerkarte as her "Bruttoarbeitslohn" does not match what the calculator shows as the annual Jahresbrutto,

or steuerpflicht. Jahresbrutto.

Thanks!

58 minutes ago, StephenGermany said:

But on the right side of the screen when using the Gehaltsrechner, I see a "steuerpflicht. Brutto" number which is a little higher than her actual monthly Gehalt...

and a "sozialvers. Brutto" which is even higher. 

For the next person who comes along with this question, please see what Stephen is talking about in this sample salary calculation

rsz_screenshot_20211129-173812_chrome.jp

Stephen, the cause of the problem is her private pension (bAV = betriebliche Altersvorsorge), the "Zusatzversorgung VBL": https://forum.oeffentlicher-dienst.info/index.php?topic=112370.0